Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Advice on bringing my Mother to the UK

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on bringing my Mother to the UK.

I recently got further leave to remain and would like to bring my mother over on a visitor visa.

My Husband works full time and i am currently looking after our son. We will be sponsoring my Mother and helping with the application.

Do we need to have any money in savings to show that we can support my Mother? Or will my husbands earnings and payslips be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by bellaro View Post
    Hi,

I am looking for some advice on bringing my Mother to the UK.

I recently got further leave to remain and would like to bring my mother over on a visitor visa.

My Husband works full time and i am currently looking after our son. We will be sponsoring my Mother and helping with the application.

Do we need to have any money in savings to show that we can support my Mother? Or will my husbands earnings and payslips be enough?
    As a first step you should review this UKBA webpage - Can you come to the UK as a family visitor?

Do be aware that securing a visit visa can be problematic for many reasons. Not least of which is because is principally the decision is based on the discretion of the Entry Clearance Officer.

The major complication is the need by the applicant to prove a non-immigrant intent.
    Applicants wishing to come to the UK under a visit must clearly demonstrate that they do not intend to remain in the UK on a permanent basis. Immigration law places this burden of proof on the applicant.
    In order to grant a temporary visa, the ECO must be satisfied that the applicant has strong social, economic and family ties abroad that would compel them
    to leave the UK at the end of the temporary stay. This will always be more difficult to establish if there is an existing romantic relationship between the
    applicant and the British citizen/permanent resident/sponsor.

Unfortunately, in most cases it becomes difficult to overcome this presumption.

A sponsor can help the applicant by providing an invitation/supporting letter to confirm the support they will be providing in terms of financial assistance and/or accommodation.

Here is a listing of typical supporting documents the sponsor should provide:-
    (note that this is additional to the applicants required documents)

- 6 months Bank statements
    - 6 months pay slips
    - Proff of address (eg utility bill, Council Tax etc)
    - Accommodation details (including owner's agreement / rental agreement)
    - Sponsors passport copy (Photo page, any relevante and stamping page)
    - P60 (if available)
    - The main reasons for wanting the applicant to travel at the specific time

Have a well thought out travel plan. Date of travel, duration of stay and reasons for travelling.

The absolute keys are going to be:-

- Reasons to return home that outweigh reasons to stay in the UK
    - Financials

Reasons to return home and strong/complelling ties differ from country to country, city to city, individual to individual.
    Some examples of ties can be a job, a house, social and family relationships, a bank account, possessions etc
    The ECO will be looking to see if the aspects of your life that bind you to your country outweigh those aspects that may cause you to be unwilling to return to your home country, or to attempt to change or extend your visa status.

Please be sure to read the UKBA page I've linked for you especially in terms of the immigration status of the main sponsor.

The positive aspect of visit visa application is that of it's very low cost.
    So nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Hope this helps

Thread Information