Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

SETTLEMENT VISA (meeting the Financial Requirement)

A Blessed Day!!!!

I am in the stage of applying for the Settlement Visa and already purchased the documents needed. However, there's one situation caught my attention in meeting the financial requirements. My sponsor (Civil Partner) isnt employed and he doesnt have any evidences to prove about his financial status obviously apart from his bank account. Previous years he was diagnosed and treated from cancer and he's receiving a DLA (Disability Living Allowance) which happens to be one of the exemptions. My concern now is, aside from the official document from HMRC confirming his entitlement and the amount he receives, are there still some ways to meet the UKBA Financial Requirements? Thank you so much and looking forward to hear from you guys.

from my understanding, if he is on DLA the financial side of things doesn't apply

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post
    from my understanding, if he is on DLA the financial side of things doesn't apply
    Yes, ... that is correct!

Where the applicant's sponsor receives *certain Benefits in the United Kingdom - *Disability Living Allowance being one such example - he/she is then entitled to claim exemption from the Minimum Income Threshold on providing evidence of "adequate maintenance".

Thank you so much Arthur Little and Tiger31 For clarification only, hence he is a recipient of this benefit (DLA) and he is exempted from the financial requirement; all he needs to do is to submit evidence of exemption by providing official documentation from HMRC and a bank statement showing payment of his allowance, right!!! Is this the only evidence we need to submit for my application? or, He needs also to provide some supporting documents to show that he can maintain and accommodate me without accessing to the public funds?

Quote Originally Posted by scorpionlady View Post
    Thank you so much Arthur Little and Tiger31 For clarification only, hence he is a recipient of this benefit (DLA) and he is exempted from the financial requirement; all he needs to do is to submit evidence of exemption by providing official documentation from HMRC and a bank statement showing payment of his allowance, right!!! Is this the only evidence we need to submit for my application? or, He needs also to provide some supporting documents to show that he can maintain and accommodate me without accessing to the public funds?
    Yes scorpionlady, you'll need to submit clear evidence to show that he can 'adequately' support you both in relation to both the maintenance and accommodation requirement.
    In principle this means that, after income tax, national insurance contributions and housing costs have been deducted from any income, there must be available the same level of income that would be available as if in receipt of Income Support benefit.
    The current level of Income Support is £112.55 per week

So the application will need to demonstrate that £112.55 per week income will be available.
    This amount is after deduction of total housing costs (inc council Tax) and all PAYE contributions.

Additionally all other sections of the UKBA requirement will need to be complied with. Financials is just one part.
    Take your time to study the application form and be sure you can meet each section with supporting documentary evidence.
    You'll also need to provide details of the accommodation.

Hope that helps. Don't be shy to ask more questions if there's anything your not sure about

Thanks Terpe, surely I wont hesitate to ask more questions. Your help is very much appreciated.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Good Luck Scorpionlady!

Thread Information