Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Cool The price of being a Foodie

'That' Rome Ice Cream Story

When in Rome...... it's tempting to try the city's world-famous ice cream.

But a group of British tourists were left with a nasty aftertaste – a £54 bill.

Following their complaints over being charged £13.50 each for their take-away cones, an Italian politician has called for a clampdown on such extortionate prices.
    Rome’s Mayor, Gianni Alemanno, has ordered the vendor to refund a British tourist the £54 cost of four ice cream cones.

Read more here

Here are even more reasons to always check the price before you order.

Champagne

Deep sea divers struck gold of the bubbly kind in a shipwreck in the Baltic. It held 140 bottles of champagne from 1825-30, the most expensive of which sold for £26,700. The tasting notes? Lime blossoms, coffee and chanterelles.

Soup

A Chinese delicacy made from nests held together with the saliva of cave swifts, gelatinous bird’s nest soup is said to have medicinal and aphrodisiac effects and sells for £580 to £2,900 per pound.

Potatoes

A gardener’s nightmare but a gourmand’s delight: the near-extinct La Bonnotte potato grows on just one French island and is fertilised with seaweed. Cost: up to £420 per kilo.

Watermelons

Possibly the world’s rarest fruit, Dansuke watermelons grow only on the Japanese island of Hokkaido with just 65 harvested a year. Recognisable from its jet black skin, the most expensive specimen sold at auction for £5,200.

Beef & mushroom pie

The Fence Gate Inn, Lancashire, once served up a Wagyu beef and Matsutake mushroom pie at £1,000 a slice. No longer on the menu, it actually had ‘a couple’ of takers.

Chocolate

For that very, very special somebody. Dutch chocolatier Knipschildt makes the world’s most highly prized chocolates. A single Chocopologie Valrhona-coated French black truffle will set you back £160.

Source:-
    http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx

Trusted Member
    I've no sympathy for people who are dumb enough not to ask the price before purchasing....and even dumber for handing over the money.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I've no sympathy for people who are dumb enough not to ask the price before purchasing....and even dumber for handing over the money.
    The vendor states that prices are clearly displayed.
    My immediate thoughts were exactly the same as yours.

I always ask how much something will cost before ORDERING anything.

Banned
    Anybody bought fish and chips lately. ..I foolishly went into a National franchise claiming to be the world's famous fish and chip shop. ..I bought two takeaway fish suppers with hot chocolate. .total bill came 20p short of £20..I wasn't impressed although my pride wouldn't let me show it

My local chippy does pensioners portions of good fish and chips for £3.40p
    Mick.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    My local chippy does pensioners portions of good fish and chips for £3.40p
    Mick.
    I should of went to your local. ..then I would of been called a cheap Charlie. .I would never of won ..God bless borderlines...it's what's called a double blind

Quote Originally Posted by gWaPito View Post
    I should of went to your local. ..then I would of been called a cheap Charlie. .I would never of won ..God bless borderlines...it's what's called a double blind
    The staff ask older people if they want the pensioners size, it is small Cod and small portion of chips, with medium (big portion of chips) it is still only £4.80p
    I go once a week
    Mick.

Trusted Member
    They can keep their rip-off prices.

I just make my own...or take a packup if I'm away from home.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    They can keep their rip-off prices.

I just make my own...or take a packup if I'm away from home.
    When away from home and perhaps cold, there's nothing like hot fish and chips with plenty of vinegar (but easy on the salt)
    Mick.

There's a chip shop I go to that sells different meals other than the usual stuff available in a chippy. Casseroles, curries, lasagne etc.
    I usually have mince and chips for £3.80 and the guy who owns it is a former chef so it's pretty decent nosh.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieXXXmaria View Post
    There's a chip shop I go to that sells different meals other than the usual stuff available in a chippy. Casseroles, curries, lasagne etc.
    I usually have mince and chips for £3.80 and the guy who owns it is a former chef so it's pretty decent nosh.
    Nice one Jamie. ...well, looks like that is the sort of thing I'll be dining on intermittently broken by trips to the soup kitchens...that's if my 'soul mate' gets her way. ..anyway the sun is shining

Thread Information