Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Trusted Member

How's your immunity ?

There are already health checklists for travel to and from the Philippines, and threads on various vaccines.
    I don’t expect this thread to have a large number of views or responses, but hopefully it explains a little to those who are interested .

Our immune system is a defence mechanism which should protect the body not only against pathogens ( harmful bugs ) but also cancer cells. It can fail ( genetic, age, or illness ), over-react ( asthma ), or react inappropriately against normal cells ( auto-immune diseases like rheumatoid, thyroid / liver or type 1 diabetes ).

All normal people have INNATE immunity which is an immediate but not a specific response. We also develop ADAPTIVE immunity - antibodies are produced by plasma cells ( derived from B lymphocytes ), and T lymphocytes mount a “ cell-mediated “ response.

ACTIVE immunity is acquired by natural disease ( insufficient to kill the patient ) or vaccination. Vaccine types may be :-
    A. Live attenuated ( weakened ) forms of viruses include the MMR ( measles, mumps and rubella ); or bacteria such as BCG for TB.
    B. Inactivated – such as the ‘flu jab.
    C. Detoxified toxins produced by a bug, such as for tetanus.
    D. Extracts – such as pneumococcal vaccine, or from recombinant DNA ( hepatitis B ).

Of course there are “ contra-indications “ to vaccines, such as known hypersensitivity, weakened immune system, and pregnancy ; and side effects have to be considered before INFORMED consent is given.

PASSIVE immunity – gives immediate protection using plasma from immune individuals – preferably human immunoglobulins.
    A. “ Normal “ ( pooled ) immunoglobulin is prepared from pools of at least 1000 donations of human plasma, for use in limited circumstances.
    B. Disease-specific immunoglobulins are also prepared from pooled plasma of selected human donors with high levels of the antibody required – such as following exposure of an unimmunised individual to rabies. Rhesus-negative mothers may be given anti-D immunoglobulin.

Our knowledge of immunology is constantly improving. The immune system is complicated – a double-edged sword in that it efficiently rids the body of pathogens, cancer cells, and “ foreign “ agents … until it develops fault(s) or weakens with age.

Vaccination policies also change – to keep pace with mutating viruses like ‘flu and changing disease risks ; new knowledge and vaccine types ; and vary between countries reflecting disease patterns. Important diseases like dengue, malaria and HIV/AIDS STILL don’t have widely available vaccines, while tuberculosis needs a more effective one than BCG.

An interesting subject Doc Alan, thank you for posting. Thank goodness that research is always ongoing to improve knowledge and that vaccination strategy is reviewed to keep up with changes

I am lucky enough to have never had a serious illness and I haven't suffered with coughs, colds or flu much either. I received all general childhood innoculations offered in the UK and I have kept my various adult travel vaccinations up to date but like everyone else, I am getting older and with age comes vulnerability......... (and in my case shingles!) Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, diet and good personal hygiene will definitely contribute to sustain/ improve immunity to some degree and lessen the affects of nasty bugs.

Interesting Alan, thanks for posting. From my perspective my mind boggles at the way our systems work, and how vaccines have been developed to trigger immunity and we just go about our daily lives not even giving it a second thought. (until we/our bodies go wrong)
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Trusted Member
    Even the healthiest individuals can’t acquire " natural " resistance to all illnesses by having them - some are so serious they kill before an effective immune response can be mounted. Infective organisms tend to evolve / change by mutations, so that we don’t maintain immunity ( even if they don’t kill us ). Vaccines against infective organisms are constantly being developed and modified to keep up with mutations in these organisms. Antibiotic resistance is an increasing worry - due in part to inappropriate use ; wrong dosage ; not completing the course ; and fake medicines. There are an increasing number of anti-cancer drugs which act selectively on cancer cells, helping our immune responses.

Communicable / infectious diseases are in overall decline, but still cause many illnesses and deaths worldwide. In addition to malaria, TB, HIV/AIDS , there are 17 so-called " neglected tropical diseases " ( such as dengue, rabies, and filariasis - all affecting Filipinos ) ; and epidemics of diseases like Ebola for which vaccines and treatments are only now being developed.

90% of serious illnesses ( and deaths ) in the UK are now due to " non-communicable diseases ", like cancers, cardiovascular disease, and chronic lung diseases. The rest are due to communicable diseases ( also maternal and perinatal conditions, nutritional disorders, and injuries ).

Two thirds of serious illnesses ( and deaths ) in the Philippines are due to similar non-communicable diseases to the UK. However, the other third are still due to communicable diseases ( also maternal, perinatal and nutritional disorders, and injuries). TB, for example, causes about 5% of deaths. Sadly, life expectancy in the Philippines averages a decade less than that in the UK.

There are many reasons for the continuing toll taken by communicable diseases, and less good outlook for non-communicable diseases in the Philippines, compared to the UK. They are covered in other threads in this section. While it’s admirable to have a positive attitude to life, and " bahala na ", this is not to say that Filipinos have a natural resistance to serious illnesses, infectious or otherwise. All of us need to help our immune systems protecting against illness by a healthy lifestyle - boosted by using vaccines and drugs where necessary ( and affordable ).

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Two great posts Alan, I find all this knowledge you have really fascinating and the question I will ask is, should I take the Flu jab? because I haven't had flu for well over twenty years now and I'm very reluctant to take any medication unless it's really required because I feel it will break my immune system down!

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Two great posts Alan, I find all this knowledge you have really fascinating and the question I will ask is, should I take the Flu jab? because I haven't had flu for well over twenty years now and I'm very reluctant to take any medication unless it's really required because I feel it will break my immune system down!
    Thank you Michael, and I understand your dilemma.

I don't know you personally ( but you are one of my loyal Forum friends ). However, the 'flu jab would not " break your immune system down " - it's safe for the vast majority of people. Your own doctor will, of course, know you and be best placed to advise you, indeed offer you a free 'flu jab.

Please look again at this thread, in particular posts 35 and 42 :-

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....-Flu-jab/page2

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Thank you Michael, and I understand your dilemma.

I don't know you personally ( but you are one of my loyal Forum friends ). However, the 'flu jab would not " break your immune system down " - it's safe for the vast majority of people. Your own doctor will, of course, know you and be best placed to advise you, indeed offer you a free 'flu jab.

Please look again at this thread, in particular posts 35 and 42 :-

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....-Flu-jab/page2
    Will read it any moment now, thank you Alan!

Thread Information