Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Question Sending cars/motorcycle by container to philippines?

hi just wondering if anybody tried or had sent cars,motorcycle and house stuff by hiring a shipping container/container van to Philippines? we are just planning for the future when we moved to Philippines and wanted to take some of our stuff.... how much it cost to hire a van pls help..... thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by georose View Post
    hi just wondering if anybody tried or had sent cars,motorcycle and house stuff by hiring a shipping container/container van to Philippines? we are just planning for the future when we moved to Philippines and wanted to take some of our stuff.... how much it cost to hire a van pls help..... thank you...
    Hi there georose,

Shipping cars to the Philippines ?
    Don't even think about it!!
    Seriously.

Firstly you will not be allowed to import any RH drive car. Period.

Maybe some people will tell you there are 'special ways' BUT eventually there are not.
    Even if the cars were LH drive, you would be taxed up to the hilt. Eventually it would cost you at least twice the value of the car.

Concerning the motorbikes, very very difficult but not out of the question.
    What bikes are they? Engine size? etc.
    It's going to be expensive. Also you will need to find a "way" to get them registered correctly in Philippines. Usually the way is chopchop in boxes.

I'd suggest contacting a motorcycle club in the Philippines with members who have found that 'certain way' and have some reliable contacts. The biggest issues arise when trying to clear and then register.
    Unless the motorbike(s) are very special in some way it's probably just not worth the headaches

The importation of privately owned vehicles (POV's) to the Philippines is very very restrictive.
    The process is long, requires a great deal of paperwork, and a special import permit.
    This permit is available only in the Philippines, and can not be issued by an embassy or consulate office.

Note the following key restrictions:-

- Right-hand driven vehicles not permitted (Even if you tried with LH drive the tax and duty would still be equal to at least 100% of the NEW CAR PRICE)

- Cars over 5 years old cannot be imported

- Gasoline-fueled cars limited to 2,800 cc not over 1,500 kgs

- The vehicle must arrive within 60 days of customer's arrival

- All vehicles subject to taxes and duties (yes, 100% of the List Price of the car at NEW----Plus plus the you know what)

- Customer must be physically present for customs clearance

- All motor vehicles must have an Import Authority Permit issued by the Philippine Bureau of Import Service before the vehicle is shipped.

If you can find ways to comply with the above and money is no object let me know I'll post some additional restrictions that are even more onerous.

As an aside a 20ft container will run at about £4000

i remember a british neighbor ours send his land rover in phils. I got no idea how much it did cost him. But its possible i guess. He converted the car to LH.

Respected Member
    Crikey. No wonder everyone drives Toyota Vioses.

What about classic cars - really old stuff? They may have only been a few hundred pounds when new.

Wonder how they flood the market with 10 year old Japanese surplus multicabs?
    I agree though..Not worth the time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Trefor View Post
    ...What about classic cars - really old stuff? They may have only been a few hundred pounds when new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    ...Right-hand driven vehicles not permitted

.... Cars over 5 years old cannot be imported

Thats a no, no. Even if you send a petrol lawn mower customs will take it.

Quote Originally Posted by keith britten View Post
    Thats a no, no. Even if you send a petrol lawn mower customs will take it.

Not if its sent in a BB box they wont!!

Trusted Member
    My friend sent his Kawasaki 750 motorbike over from Hong Kong, split into several Balikbayan boxes and then had it reassembled upon arrival.

He had to pay a lot of money to have it registered with fake documents etc.

All totally illegal of course.

It was nice cruising around on the back of it though...plus, could be ridden on the toll-controlled highways where bikes under 400cc were forbidden.

Whats wrong with a Toyota Vios Mine is lovely.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

I even had it blessed ......

Yep, nice work if you can get it

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Whats wrong with a Toyota Vios Mine is lovely.
    Nothing wrong with the Vios and a big improvement from the Toyota platz.

Is it the 1.3L model?

Dread to think how much tax they paid to get the blinking great big Hummer into Palawan that I saw there last month.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Dread to think how much tax they paid to get the blinking great big Hummer into Palawan that I saw there last month.
    You can get a second hand 'local hummer' for around 250,000php. A 'real' second hand hummer will cost you around 2 to 3 million.

Has to be the ugliest car ever built!

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Nothing wrong with the Vios and a big improvement from the Toyota platz.

Is it the 1.3L model?

Banned
    Like pets, you are only going to ship a vehicle out to the Philippines because of emotional attachment. ..I was going to do the same with my Hyabusa..break it down in bits and send bits at a time via the balikbayan boxes ...sounds a ridiculous idea now but, at the time i was quite serious.

No problem sending full containers and Pooten shipping can arrange it (don't allow small ones now) Cars (strictly) have to be left hand drive only, motorbikes no problem either, used cars are ridiculously expensive there.

We hired Jeepnies and drivers for 1200-1500 for day trips to Manila from Pangasinan, also to Alaminos San Fernando Baguio until I purchased a Toyota Tamaraw for p90,000
    (110 peso to £1 then) which was a snip as the guy needed the cash urgently to send daughter to USA and spent 20,000 on full service and body spray and I loved it.

I bought a brand new Matton 150cc bike for p32,000 cash, less than 1 week wages here.

So depending on what bike you want to import they are definitely cheaper there unless you have a Triumph Harley Moto Guzzi.

I suggest renting property private too, I lost a few million pesos when I bought and sold my property, really crooked people you deal with so use someone you trust.
    Might want to fill your container with 3piece suite table and chairs and believe it or not, LCD TVs are far cheaper here (UK USA)

lol I had my Tamaraw blessed at Our Lady of Manaoag church, and hung the beads proudly on my mirror

RHD will not even be considered, not allowed on roads period.
    Embassy told me that too, they all have LHD Range Rover / Freelander imported for embassy staff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Hi there georose,

Shipping cars to the Philippines ?
    Don't even think about it!!
    Seriously.

Firstly you will not be allowed to import any RH drive car. Period.

Maybe some people will tell you there are 'special ways' BUT eventually there are not.
    Even if the cars were LH drive, you would be taxed up to the hilt. Eventually it would cost you at least twice the value of the car.

Concerning the motorbikes, very very difficult but not out of the question.
    What bikes are they? Engine size? etc.
    It's going to be expensive. Also you will need to find a "way" to get them registered correctly in Philippines. Usually the way is chopchop in boxes.

I'd suggest contacting a motorcycle club in the Philippines with members who have found that 'certain way' and have some reliable contacts. The biggest issues arise when trying to clear and then register.
    Unless the motorbike(s) are very special in some way it's probably just not worth the headaches

The importation of privately owned vehicles (POV's) to the Philippines is very very restrictive.
    The process is long, requires a great deal of paperwork, and a special import permit.
    This permit is available only in the Philippines, and can not be issued by an embassy or consulate office.

Note the following key restrictions:-

- Right-hand driven vehicles not permitted (Even if you tried with LH drive the tax and duty would still be equal to at least 100% of the NEW CAR PRICE)

- Gasoline-fueled cars limited to 2,800 cc not over 1,500 kgs

- The vehicle must arrive within 60 days of customer's arrival

- All vehicles subject to taxes and duties (yes, 100% of the List Price of the car at NEW----Plus plus the you know what)

- Customer must be physically present for customs clearance

- All motor vehicles must have an Import Authority Permit issued by the Philippine Bureau of Import Service before the vehicle is shipped.

If you can find ways to comply with the above and money is no object let me know I'll post some additional restrictions that are even more onerous.

As an aside a 20ft container will run at about £4000

Respected Member
    try to contact the guys that stole this motorbike http://ph.news.yahoo.com/80k-motorbi...075654531.html

Thread Information