Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Arrrgh trying to register at the GP's surgery

Well, today I thought I'd get wifey registered at my docs surgery. I'd phoned a few days earlier and they said no problems, just bring her passport in.

So up to the desk we went, and the rottweiler of a receptionist looked up. Can we register my wife I said.

Rotty pulled out a form, and asked where she was registered already. I said she wasn't....and had only just arrived on a spouse visa.
    Well, we might have to register her as a private patient said Rotts.

What! I said, it's a spouse visa, she is entitled to register at a GP here.

No said Rotty, I will have to check if her original country has a reciprocal agreement with the UK for NHS facilities.

No no no, said I. She is not from France, she is not from Germany, she is here on a spouse visa, she is from the Philippines. Look at this - and I showed her the spouse visa sticker.

OK said the receptionist, well is she dependant on you?

Sort of I said, but she will be working she hopes eventually.

No said Rotty, it's nothing to do with working, is she dependent on you, I need YOUR passport as well because it will show in there that she is your dependent.

Now this is getting silly was my way of thinking. Of course my passport doesn't have a Filipino spouse visa stamp in it. Of course she isn't named in my passport. I phoned a few days ago and one of your colleagues who actually knew what a spouse settlement visa was told me all we needed was her passport as an ID.

Rotty didn't like this. Who did you speak to she said, I am the duty reception manager you know.

Oh just give me the form and I'll come back later!

Unbelievable!

I'm now starting to think I'm mistaken. I was certain spouses are entitled to access the NHS

Aww thats awful,..bad and crazy service

...is it the only surgery available in your area ? bring your wife to a different surgery and complain in writing to the NHS about the bad service of the previous one.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Clearly, NHS staff don't know how everything works.

When I registered to a GP when I came here, they just asked me to fill up a form and that's it. They didn't even ask me for any identification, that's probably because they know Keith who was with me that time. When I called to register to a NHS dentist, the one who answered my call told me I need to have a NI number before I register. But when I called them again to register, they didn't ask me anything other than my name and phone number so they can call me when it's time for my appointment, which she said would take about 3 months.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    Well, today I thought I'd get wifey registered at my docs surgery. I'd phoned a few days earlier and they said no problems, just bring her passport in.

So up to the desk we went, and the rottweiler of a receptionist looked up. Can we register my wife I said.

Rotty pulled out a form, and asked where she was registered already. I said she wasn't....and had only just arrived on a spouse visa.
    Well, we might have to register her as a private patient said Rotts.

What! I said, it's a spouse visa, she is entitled to register at a GP here.

No said Rotty, I will have to check if her original country has a reciprocal agreement with the UK for NHS facilities.

No no no, said I. She is not from France, she is not from Germany, she is here on a spouse visa, she is from the Philippines. Look at this - and I showed her the spouse visa sticker.

OK said the receptionist, well is she dependant on you?

Sort of I said, but she will be working she hopes eventually.

No said Rotty, it's nothing to do with working, is she dependent on you, I need YOUR passport as well because it will show in there that she is your dependent.

Now this is getting silly was my way of thinking. Of course my passport doesn't have a Filipino spouse visa stamp in it. Of course she isn't named in my passport. I phoned a few days ago and one of your colleagues who actually knew what a spouse settlement visa was told me all we needed was her passport as an ID.

Rotty didn't like this. Who did you speak to she said, I am the duty reception manager you know.

Oh just give me the form and I'll come back later!

Unbelievable!

I'm now starting to think I'm mistaken. I was certain spouses are entitled to access the NHS
    sounds like an award winning jobs worth

Respected Member
    Print this out and take it with you next time:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1087.asp...CategoryID=162

Sorry to hear about your experience...

I got registered to our Local GP here- just like 2 weeks since I arrived and I was on a finace' visa that time 2011. My mother in law took me there- and I just had my passport with me, then couple of weeks later I received my NHS registration card, and I had my first appointment, was dead easy.
    Hope everything will be sorted out.

I had no problems registering my wife and her daughter nearly 3 years ago now! I notice "rottie" said she was the "duty reception manager" and NOT the practice manager. I would return to or phone and ask to speak to the practice manager outlining the problem you had. That should do the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    I had no problems registering my wife and her daughter nearly 3 years ago now! I notice "rottie" said she was the "duty reception manager" and NOT the practice manager. I would return to or phone and ask to speak to the practice manager outlining the problem you had. That should do the trick!
    I'd agree with this.
    The problem is that the NHS has a duty to ensure eligibility of free treatment, but many people at the sharp end just don't know how to implement that. Probably never had any training.
    The Practice Manager should really ensure that folks are given some awareness training or at least add a simple procedure to their operations manual/quality manual.

Sorry to hear you had those problems Iani, I know how upsetting it can be all round when you're faced with such a challenge.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Sorry to hear of your experience at your local surgery, very frustrating indeed but I'm sure you will get it resolved!

Thanks everyone. Had a busy few days so haven't been on here.

We'll have another go next week when I'm off, armed this time with Rickys link hehe. I like to think the receptionist was just having a bad day. Hmmmmmm

Thread Information