Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tips to Find a Job in UK

Hi Guys,

I've been here in the UK for 2 months now. I find it hard getting a job here.I'm IT professional back in the Philippines. Most of the IT jobs are in the city and since we are in the country side (Norfolk) its really hard to get IT job. I might shift career. I'm looking on possibility of working in Care home or Grocery. Can you give me some tips how to get a job in this area. Many Thanks.

you can try care assistant. it is in need that mostly care homes accept applicants with no experience. they provide training and they will help you in acquiring qualifications. it's hard job and little pay but it helps.
    ''The grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but there still gonna be on it''

Quote Originally Posted by bhem_bhem View Post
    you can try care assistant. it is in need that mostly care homes accept applicants with no experience. they provide training and they will help you in acquiring qualifications. it's hard job and little pay but it helps.
    Thanks them-bhem

Have you tried the various companies that are situated at the Norwich Research Park ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_Research_Park

http://www.norwichresearchpark.com/home.aspx
    No man is an island, but Barry is

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Smith View Post
    Hi Guys,

I've been here in the UK for 2 months now. I find it hard getting a job here.I'm IT professional back in the Philippines. Most of the IT jobs are in the city and since we are in the country side (Norfolk) its really hard to get IT job. I might shift career. I'm looking on possibility of working in Care home or Grocery. Can you give me some tips how to get a job in this area. Many Thanks.
    Go online, search for carehomes and groceries near you and contact them one by one to look for vacancies.
    *some private care homes send the application form via post to you if they got vacancies.
    *groceries and shops , you can collect or do the application online.

good luck.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Plenty of great replies here for your Mrs Smith

Please don't give up on your IT work quest. If you can find a job connected to your experience or interest it's much better than just applying and accepting a job you may not be happy with.

Care Home work is not for everyone. It's very demanding and with very low pay. If your heart's not in it it can really run you down fast.
    I understand your need to secure a job, but just to stay with your experience and skills set for as long as you can

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Plenty of great replies here for your Mrs Smith

Please don't give up on your IT work quest. If you can find a job connected to your experience or interest it's much better than just applying and accepting a job you may not be happy with.

Care Home work is not for everyone. It's very demanding and with very low pay. If your heart's not in it it can really run you down fast.
    I understand your need to secure a job, but just to stay with your experience and skills set for as long as you can
    I am in the same position with Mrs. Smith, an IT person living in the country side where my skills aren't needed. Some people I know are telling me to go into care homes. But I know I can't do that work, and it would be physically tormenting for me honestly. I don't want to end up being unhappy working. I'm still looking for work and even voluntary jobs for the mean time. But it's hard to get an interview after I submit my application. I'm thinking, if we only live in London, I'd probably have a job already because I can see a lot of job openings there on my skills. But living in London is very expensive and we can't afford to live there.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

I know very well just how the jobs market has changed. But maybe there are still some IT opportunities around that involve working from home?
    For quite some time I did work as a 'Mystery Shopper' mostly from home.
    Maybe look further afield for IT at home possibilities.
    Yes, I do know only too well how difficult it is.

Rayna, you right not to be tempted into care work if it's not you. It's far more 'basic' and far more demanding than you could ever imagine. Lot's of care homes now taking on residents that should really be in nursing home. Closures and cuts having a huge impact.

Stay positive and good luck.
    Buy a lottery ticket

I'm doing a bit of some online work. Although it's not really a big earn (and getting kinda boring coz I really like working in an office haha ), but still there's money from it. Keith's been trying to force me in writing articles online, but I'm just not a writer (well I probably can write but not too sure if it would be of any quality hahahahahaha).
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    I'm doing a bit of some online work. Although it's not really a big earn, but still there's money from it. Keith's been trying to force me in writing articles online, but I'm just not a writer (well I probably can write but not too sure if it would be of any quality hahahahahaha).
    Rayna, why not give that writing a try ?? Nothing to lose.
    Practice makes perfect.
    Besides, don't ever put yourself down. Always believe you CAN.

Better to regret the things you didn't do than those you did.

Rayna, why not give that writing a try ?? Nothing to lose.
    Practice makes perfect.
    Besides, don't ever put yourself down. Always believe you CAN.

Better to regret the things you didn't do than those you did.
    I will try..tomorrow..hahaha..Okay Keith would be mad at me by always putting it off..
    -=rayna.keith=-

takes me almost 2 years to get a job here lols..i am commerce graduate landed on carehome
    goodluck
    A place for everything, everything in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Moy View Post
    takes me almost 2 years to get a job here lols..i am commerce graduate landed on carehome
    goodluck
    How's it going Moy?
    Have you settled down as a carer?
    Importantly how's your health now?

We miss you here

How's it going Moy?
    Have you settled down as a carer?
    Importantly how's your health now?

We miss you here
    im on the Kitchen at the moment Terpe..better there as i love to make food ..am foodie as you know my friend lols am fine gettin there..and hoping more sunshine to come

Quote Originally Posted by Moy View Post
    im on the Kitchen at the moment Terpe..better there as i love to make food ..am foodie as you know my friend lols am fine gettin there..and hoping more sunshine to come
    Well done Moy
    Glad all is well.

Lack of IT jobs! Tell me about it!

I started in IT in 1977 and have done various roles and jobs programming, analysis, support, team leading etc until 2002 when my first wife died. I then took redundancy from a large insurance company which enabled me to take time off to look after my 3 kids, the eldest of which was 15 at the time. I think it was the right thing to do as my kids needed help with the loss of their mother. For a while i retrained and went back to Electrical engineering, the only thing i am qualified in but as the government bought in new rules for domestic electrical work this made it extremly difficult for one man companies so i gave up when offered an IT job with a local authority working part time.

I am still working there 8 years later for a dreadfull salary thats been frozen thanks to government cutbacks etc. Its enjoyable and i work from home but with no training and low wages its hard to break back into the sort of IT work i was doing before. On average I apply for about 2 jobs a week and have done for the past 5 years. Nobody seems to want the skills i had 10/ 11 years ago when i was very well paid. My guess its a bit of ageism plus lack of jobs in the first place. At 59 getting an IT qualification isnt at the top of my TO DO list and i think all employers have the view i am looking for an easy life up to retirement. Suprise,suprise, i still have a brain!

So not suprised you can't find IT work.....but don't give up , I won't either!

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    I started in IT in 1977 and have done various roles and jobs programming, analysis, support, team leading etc until 2002

On average I apply for about 2 jobs a week and have done for the past 5 years. Nobody seems to want the skills i had 10/ 11 years ago when i was very well paid. My guess its a bit of ageism plus lack of jobs in the first place. At 59 getting an IT qualification isnt at the top of my TO DO list and i think all employers have the view i am looking for an easy life up to retirement. Suprise,suprise, i still have a brain!

So not suprised you can't find IT work.....but don't give up , I won't either!
    1977 those were the days what did you program in COBOL ?

my brother was in a similar situation to you, but was made redundant, couldn't find a similar job, started his own IT business , mainly does CCTV stuff these days ..
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Well done Moy
    Glad all is well.
    miss you too my friend kept smilin Citizenship soon touch wood

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post

my brother was in a similar situation to you, but was made redundant, couldn't find a similar job, started his own IT business , mainly does CCTV stuff these days ..
    First job was Fortran, BASIC and Assembler, then did a contract in Munich using COBOL, followed by lots more IBM COBOL, MBASIC, PICK BASIC, IBM COBOL again, UNIX , ORACLE PL/SQL, VSAM, ADABAS NATURAL then some CTI work. You would think someone would be interested!

Just a reminder of how things have changed....my first job was in a college Electrical engineering department (1977) who bought a new PRIME 300 minicomputer. This amazing machine was 64K virtual memory with very large removable hard disc and supported 15 teleprinters, a graph plotter and digitiser. No screens in those days, just printing on paper rolls and programs stored on paper tape!

I went there for a job as an electrical technician but the job was filled already but they offered me a job as a computer technician if i was willing to teach myself programming! How things have changed!

Respected Member
    I have been made redundant three times in my career. First time was not a problem as I walked into a better job (1994-ish), second time was just before 9/11 - not good. Took around 6 months that time. Last time was 2009 - took over a year then. You have to keep trying. I found networking the best way to get a job. Anything advertised online will have 100s of applicants and you need to find a way to stand out - either through contacts putting a good word in or a bright pink CV

I think most programming/real techie jobs have now been off-shored to India or China. The only developer jobs in the UK tend to be senior roles managing those remote teams. Tech support is an option, but again first/second line is often in Bangalore or similar. The only people making real money are the top IT techies who have moved on to contracting roles earning between Ł400 and Ł800 a day in the South East of the country.

Sooo, I suggest you look at where the market is going/growing and retrain, people won't give anyone a job just because they've been looking for 2 years! CCTV is definitely a good area - video surveillance installations, remote security etc. Mobile comms is another hot area. One area I think will take off is in-car cameras: http://dashcamtalk.com/ - very popular in some developing countries such as Russia. Cheap as chips now too.

I work for a large company selling IT Storage to big enterprises (not consumer/SMB) and business is growing very fast (just think where those photos go when you upload them to Facebook...). However the market is constantly changing and you have to take a look at your skills and work hard to remain relevant. I look at what I do now and know that I need to broaden my skillset and I will be trying to do this in the coming year or so as I predict my specific skill will become the norm in my company in 2 years time and I will be less 'needed' - stay ahead of the game!!

Good luck out there!

Thanks Guys for the reply. Honestly I'm really tempted to get a job in a Care Home or Grocery just to have a job. I've been working since I got out from College. And staying alone at home while husband at work makes me bored. But yeah hopefully I will get a job that I love to do. It's just really hard to settle in yet, because I'm just recently move in, no friends here yet and theres lots of things to be sorted out.
    Thanks Again guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdjones View Post
    Have you tried the various companies that are situated at the Norwich Research Park ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_Research_Park

http://www.norwichresearchpark.com/home.aspx
    Not aware of this, but will try to research about it. Thanks for the tip.

I used to program in COBOL too!!!

When I started working in Accenture after I graduated and passed the ECE board exam, the company put me in Java programming training for 4-6 weeks I think. But then they put me in a project/client who uses COBOL 400 in AS400 platform. The client then put me in training for COBOL programming after 2 years of working for them already! Hahahahha.. I've also had lots of training for software testing coz I was the one in charge in my team for regularly testing our software aside from fixing bugs and programming.

Then I resigned (after being in Accenture for almost 4 years) and worked for 6 months in Singapore and when I went back to work in the Philippines, the client I was lined up for cancelled the project. So because the new company can't offer me any projects using COBOL 400, I was put up in projects as a Test Analyst. I was earning a salary as a developer but working as a Test Analyst which was an advantage for me! I stayed in that company for almost 4 years before going to UK.

And now here in the UK, I've got calls for jobs as a Test Analyst/Developer (exactly the same work I left in the Philippines) but the location is just too far, one was in Stratford-upon-Avon and the other one was in Brussels! Nothing here near our area, but I've seen a lot in Liverpool, Manchester and down South which are too far for me.
    -=rayna.keith=-

I used to program in COBOL too!!!

When I started working in Accenture after I graduated and passed the ECE board exam, the company put me in Java programming training for 4-6 weeks I think. But then they put me in a project/client who uses COBOL 400 in AS400 platform. The client then put me in training for COBOL programming after 2 years of working for them already! Hahahahha.. I've also had lots of training for software testing coz I was the one in charge in my team for regularly testing our software aside from fixing bugs and programming.

Then I resigned (after being in Accenture for almost 4 years) and worked for 6 months in Singapore and when I went back to work in the Philippines, the client I was lined up for cancelled the project. So because the new company can't offer me any projects using COBOL 400, I was put up in projects as a Test Analyst. I was earning a salary as a developer but working as a Test Analyst which was an advantage for me! I stayed in that company for almost 4 years before going to UK.

And now here in the UK, I've got calls for jobs as a Test Analyst/Developer (exactly the same work I left in the Philippines) but the location is just too far, one was in Stratford-upon-Avon and the other one was in Brussels! Nothing here near our area, but I've seen a lot in Liverpool, Manchester and down South which are too far for me.
    Hi Rayna,

I used to work in Accenture too but my skills is Sql Server. Got lots of call from London, but quite far from where I am now

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Smith View Post
    Hi Rayna,

I used to work in Accenture too but my skills is Sql Server. Got lots of call from London, but quite far from where I am now
    Why don't you apply in Accenture here in the UK? They might have a job for you. But I'm not sure if employees have to be client based or have to work in Accenture offices. The nearest Accenture office for me is in Manchester! But I'll try to pass my CV just in case.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Why don't you apply in Accenture here in the UK? They might have a job for you. But I'm not sure if employees have to be client based or have to work in Accenture offices. The nearest Accenture office for me is in Manchester! But I'll try to pass my CV just in case.
    I'm considering that. But I'm trying find a job just near my area. Just giving myself a few months and then I'll try to pass my CV to Accenture UK, just that its really far from where I live. Wishing you good luck.

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite
    I am joining the job-hunting club. Often, I get too frustrated tailoring my CV and cover letter for every job I apply and to get NOTHING in response. I even included an addressed, stamped envelope twice coz I asked for feedback if I fail to be shortlisted - well, it was in vain. I am still doing voluntary work in RSPCA and was offered a part-time post which I declined because I do not fancy managing other people without being too bossy. I was also offered a part-time job to work in a pub (which I also do not fancy but I will give it a go). It is never easy but I hope we will find one that we like soon. Good luck to all!
    UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    First job was Fortran, BASIC and Assembler, then did a contract in Munich using COBOL, followed by lots more IBM COBOL, MBASIC, PICK BASIC, IBM COBOL again, UNIX , ORACLE PL/SQL, VSAM, ADABAS NATURAL then some CTI work. You would think someone would be interested!

Just a reminder of how things have changed....my first job was in a college Electrical engineering department (1977) who bought a new PRIME 300 minicomputer. This amazing machine was 64K virtual memory with very large removable hard disc and supported 15 teleprinters, a graph plotter and digitiser. No screens in those days, just printing on paper rolls and programs stored on paper tape!
    Salford college of technology had a Prime many years ago when i went there, it was

well you've definitely have experience and that's something you cant buy...

lordna and Rayna did you ever do any JSP (Jackson structured programming) ??

SQL theory is probably the most boring subject known to man
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Salford college of technology had a Prime many years ago when i went there, it was

well you've definitely have experience and that's something you cant buy...

lordna and Rayna did you ever do any JSP (Jackson structured programming) ??

SQL theory is probably the most boring subject known to man
    I don't really have a lot of programming experience other than COBOL 400. I've had trainings on Java and C++ but I wasn't able to use them coz I was assigned to a COBOL project. I blamed Accenture for that, for not properly designating employees to the right projects! Anyway, my recent work experience mainly involves xPression designs and testing for a US insurance company.
    -=rayna.keith=-

jsp would have been ideal for cobol

Jackson structured programming (JSP) is a method for structured programming based on correspondences between data stream structure and program structure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson...ed_programming

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information