Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    hello everybody
    No amount of makeup can mask an ugly heart

after a week upon receiving my BRP card, i luckily found a job in a care home here in barnstaple as a care assistant. yes its true that it is physically even emotionally exhausting (trust me it is )but it's actually a quite fulfilling job , some people might think otherwise maybe because i was a nurse in the philippines so to care for other people is already hardwired in my system LOL .

okay, back to the topic, what i did was i called all the care home in our area and ask if they have any vacancies, after 2 days i was invited for an interview. you need to do this because even if they dont post any job vacancies it doesn't always mean there's no job available. surprisingly i was hired on the spot . they ask me to submit 2 professional references. it need to be professionals living in the uk , also a CRB because you are working with vulnerable individuals NI # and of course bank account.

the advantage of working there is i'll be able to attend work related courses and have a chance to get NVQ's for free! it will be also useful for me in the future..so far i am happy there, it's not an easy job but one simple thank you from the resident is just worth it
    No amount of makeup can mask an ugly heart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MissAna View Post
    after a week upon receiving my BRP card, i luckily found a job in a care home here in barnstaple as a care assistant. yes its true that it is physically even emotionally exhausting (trust me it is )but it's actually a quite fulfilling job , some people might think otherwise maybe because i was a nurse in the philippines so to care for other people is already hardwired in my system LOL .

okay, back to the topic, what i did was i called all the care home in our area and ask if they have any vacancies, after 2 days i was invited for an interview. you need to do this because even if they dont post any job vacancies it doesn't always mean there's no job available. surprisingly i was hired on the spot . they ask me to submit 2 professional references. it need to be professionals living in the uk , also a CRB because you are working with vulnerable individuals NI # and of course bank account.

the advantage of working there is i'll be able to attend work related courses and have a chance to get NVQ's for free! it will be also useful for me in the future..so far i am happy there, it's not an easy job but one simple thank you from the resident is just worth it

Well done !

It goes to prove - "if you don't ask you don't get"

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    jsp would have been ideal for cobol

Jackson structured programming (JSP) is a method for structured programming based on correspondences between data stream structure and program structure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson...ed_programming
    Yes, i used structured programming techniques in several jobs with COBOL, the first in germany in 1978/9 where they also used these charts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassi%E...derman_diagram

Can't think why it didn't get used here in the UK (although i continued to use it to write programs). My last job with Commercial Union (became CGU, CGNU then Norwich Union used structured programming techniques.

There is nothing wrong working in a care home. Besides, it's a rewarding job. You get to see the same residents and know them well. There is always work if you search for care jobs. I work in NHS here in Northwest. But when we are down south, I can also work in NHS hospitals as a bank staff. Before, I also fancy working in supermarkets(grocery in the Philippines) such as Asda, M&S, Morrisons, Tesco, Lidl,Aldi , Sainsburys etc. It is also hardwork but you can't be fussy because you need work.
    You can also search online for jobs in your area by typing your postcode. Always check when you have time as you might not know when the right job comes. You can also register in some agency wherein they can offer you part time job, or contract jobs if they like your performance. Just make sure the agency that you are joining are legitimate.
    Usually, they look for 6 months experience or they are willing to train you. Anyway, good luck on your job searching.

Newbie (Restricted Access) cosos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trefor View Post

I think most programming/real techie jobs have now been off-shored to India or China. The only developer jobs in the UK tend to be senior roles managing those remote teams. Tech support is an option, but again first/second line is often in Bangalore or similar. The only people making real money are the top IT techies who have moved on to contracting roles earning between £400 and £800 a day in the South East of the country.

Sooo, I suggest you look at where the market is going/growing and retrain, people won't give anyone a job just because they've been looking for 2 years! CCTV is definitely a good area - video surveillance installations, remote security etc. Mobile comms is another hot area. One area I think will take off is in-car cameras: http://dashcamtalk.com/ - very popular in some developing countries such as Russia. Cheap as chips now too.......
    CCTV video surveillance area is a fiercely competitive occupation, the industry is becoming more mature than about 4-5 years ago, my cousin has been in in-car camera area for about one year, importing and distributing car cameras, it is also of fierce competition, business is always difficult...

Quote Originally Posted by cosos View Post
    CCTV video surveillance area is a fiercely competitive occupation, the industry is becoming more mature than about 4-5 years ago, my cousin has been in in-car camera area for about one year, importing and distributing car cameras, it is also of fierce competition, business is always difficult...
    Your first post on the forum and you drop a link. It has been removed. Please read the forum's T&C's before posting.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Wow!! What an excellent thread this has turned out to be with so many Techie experts to advise me!!
    My son just graduated here and seems he wants to do the 4 year IT course..
    A mate of mine helped his employer start up a call center in Makati where he now works and although he`s no programmer he advised my son to concentrate macro processor systems programming.
    Is he right??
    No way am I paying all that tuition and watch him wait 2/3 years to get a job!!
    IT careers advice please for high school grad!!!

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Wow!! What an excellent thread this has turned out to be with so many Techie experts to advise me!!
    My son just graduated here and seems he wants to do the 4 year IT course..
    A mate of mine helped his employer start up a call center in Makati where he now works and although he`s no programmer he advised my son to concentrate macro processor systems programming.
    Is he right??
    No way am I paying all that tuition and watch him wait 2/3 years to get a job!!
    IT careers advice please for high school grad!!!
    Hi Fred, I haven't been in the IT working world since I got here in the UK, so I'm not sure if I can advice any in demand skills for IT. But I've found this link and maybe you can get some idea. http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...-mobile-cloud/ Hope that helps in a way.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    Go online, search for carehomes and groceries near you and contact them one by one to look for vacancies.
    *some private care homes send the application form via post to you if they got vacancies.
    *groceries and shops , you can collect or do the application online.

good luck.
    Mrs Smith. The smaller metro stores advertise in store on their notice boards as do some of the large Extras. It's always worth asking.
    Like others have said, don't give up on your dream but, wages in IT are not what you'd expect. I personally think the money is pants but that's my opinion.
    Good luck anyway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information