Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Respected Member vernier caliper's Avatar

I'm Working Soon!

I recently applied for a role at railway and got the job! The interview was conducted on 15 February and I got the offer on 19 February. I signed and sent back the contract on 25 February.

CV
    Believe it or not, mine is 1 page only. Important details I have considered are: personal profile/statement, address, mobile, chartered membership, professional honour, degree license, training attended and conducted, skills/competency, and achievements on the previous roles. Ensure to provide accurate information. Neither exaggerate nor lie on your resume. Degree, license, employment and chartered membership will be verified by a Third Party on the BackCheck process. P.S. long, complicated, or multiple pages CV is a big no no.

Recruiters
    Searching jobs online (i.e. indeed, reed, jobs, cvlibrary, etc) is a bit of a gamble. The application you will submit will be directed/forwarded to the recruiters. In my experience recruiters are not the right persons to be contacted. Their knowledge about the job advertised is limited to the job description provided by the recruiting company. They will not dig further to understand the connection or how relevant your experience is to the vacancy.

Direct Hiring
    Understand your market. Search on industries doing the same stuff as yours. I have looked on the UK construction firms and searched for vacancy directly on their website. I have applied on the top 2 companies and I was invited for interview on both. Result of the other interview will be advised next week.

Interview Preparation
    Study the job description advertised/given by the recruiting company. Do some research about the company background and the project. Learn the techniques of managing situational interview (samples are available online). If pre-interview task is given, make it comprehensive! I did practice interview with my husband Trefor and that exercise boost my confidence.

On the Day of Interview
    Dress properly and be on time. I arrived 30 minutes early and managed to relax. When I entered the conference room Im expecting to meet the HR and Quality Managers. I was surprised to see 4 men so as one of my rules: always expect the unexpected. I was interviewed by the HR, Quality, Safety and Environmental Managers. I was nervous on the first question but I felt relax as I go through. Questions raised were:
    1. Discuss the company background and project details
    2. Quality Management System - guidelines and requirements
    3. Management meeting rules and actions
    4. Corporate Governance
    5. Professional membership, degree, achievements on previous roles
    6. Dealing conflicts at work
    7. Expected salary (again do a research. Know your market job band so you'll have idea about the salary range).

Referees
    Stay in contact with your previous managers. You need at least 3 referees. Save their contact details (email and telephone very important) and give a word about your application.

I'll be working as Quality Engineer/Auditor and will join the company after my Philippine holiday in April. The construction starts in 2017 but there are lots of work to do right away, so it's a long term role/project scheduled to complete by 2033! Happy days
    Don't just try, DO IT!

Very informative post many thanks for posting & of course a very big well done

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

Thanks Steve. I feel excited to work again though I'll miss waking up as late as 12 noon.

Lol tell me about it i havnt woke at noon since i was in my teens

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

I just love my bed, very comfy! And to have a gorgeous, loving, hot husband is a big bonus

well done

looks like you've got a job til at least 2033
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    looks like you've got a job til at least 2033
    Thanks Joe.

If the project will go on schedule, 2033 is the minimum but delays are inevitable. Who knows I may be there until retirement

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    congratulations
    Thanks

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Congrats Vernier!

I hope I would be able to get a job same as my previous work as well. The problem is, the area where I live in doesn't seem to have companies that need my skills! I had a couple of calls before asking me for an interview for the same work that I used to have in the Philippines, but the location is just too far! One was at Birminghan, one was even at Brussels! The one I found online was in South Wales!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by vernier caliper View Post
    I recently applied for a role at railway and got the job! The interview was conducted on 15 February and I got the offer on 19 February. I signed and sent back the contract on 25 February.
    Rose ... you're certainly "on the right track", an inspiration to us all and we greatly appreciate the tremendous amount of effort you put into helping others here.

Also ... my heartiest Congratulations. Trefor must be a very proud man, indeed!

If the project will go on schedule, 2033 is the minimum
    ... I'll be almost 90 by then! 's a sobering thought!

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Congrats Vernier!

I hope I would be able to get a job same as my previous work as well. The problem is, the area where I live in doesn't seem to have companies that need my skills! I had a couple of calls before asking me for an interview for the same work that I used to have in the Philippines, but the location is just too far! One was at Birminghan, one was even at Brussels! The one I found online was in South Wales!
    Thanks Rayna.

Finding the right job on the right location is one of the biggest considerations. Sometimes the best opportunity is atleast 200 miles away from you - disappointing and stressful. Most jobs on my line is available in Aberdeen.

We are renting at the moment and the contract will expire in May this year. We will then buy a place somewhere close to my work place. Anyway, 45 minutes train ride from our current place is not bad at all.

I attended 2 interviews and if I will be selected on the second job (transmission line) then I'll be working in Birmingham and Wales. We might then crossed path.

Good luck on you search. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Rose ... you're certainly "on the right track", an inspiration to us all and we greatly appreciate the tremendous amount of effort you put into helping others here.

Also ... my heartiest Congratulations. Trefor must be a very proud man, indeed!
    BIG thanks Arthur. Its always good to share the blessings and helping others (just by giving tips/advice) means a lot to me.

Trefor is a very supportive husband and he is happy indeed when I got the job. I can now afford to offer him another honeymoon .

Congratulations!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Congratulations

Respected Member
    Congratulations, great advice. I'll be 49 by the time HS2 is finished, whilst I'm not totally in support of the project I think its a great one to be involved in.

Quote Originally Posted by gladz View Post
    Congratulations!
    Thanks Glads

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Congratulations
    Thanks Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    Congratulations, great advice. I'll be 49 by the time HS2 is finished, whilst I'm not totally in support of the project I think its a great one to be involved in.
    Thanks Ricky. HS2 would be constructed for the benefit of all beings, inshallah.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    I have some issues with the plans - especially the fact that there are no stations between London and Birmingham. I mean, who wants to go to the centre of Birmingham (of course the government theory is that this opens up that location to business). I think the project is great though, and something we should be doing - investing in infrastructure. Plus, I see this as the government giving me some of my tax back in the form of Rose's salary

Respected Member
    BIG thanks Arthur. Its always good to share the blessings and helping others (just by giving tips/advice) means a lot to me.

Trefor is a very supportive husband and he is happy indeed when I got the job. I can now afford to offer him another honeymoon.
    Awwwww. Hawaii and Atuttaki please

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Congrats Vernier!

Unfortunately Welsh Wales is not exactly a hotbed of opportunity. South Wales might be better. I guess your husband is tied to the area for work/family?

I wish we could live somewhere more remote but I'm using Heathrow several times a week, and even Birmingham/Manchester airports would mean less direct flights for me (Arthur, I used to live in Edinburgh too but travel was a real PITA so moved to London - pity, Scotland is lovely when it isn't raining).

Quote Originally Posted by Trefor View Post
    Awwwww. Hawaii and Atuttaki please
    Crikey! I never thought about those places, just thinking B&B in the next town.

Anyway, you mean everything to me so your wish is my command

Unfortunately Welsh Wales is not exactly a hotbed of opportunity.
    you right there, but that's what happens when your a scouser exiled to Wales

http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

COngrats.. vernier!!
    Good on you, you found one already.,

And I am still on job hunting and at the same time driving lesson... (phew.. expenses)
    I reckon I need to be able to drive soon before I can land a job as I live in a country side... Jobs that are related to my previous work are all in the city.

How are you gettin' on with your driving vernier??
    thanks
    han

I wish we could live somewhere more remote but I'm using Heathrow several times a week, and even Birmingham/Manchester airports would mean less direct flights for me (Arthur, I used to live in Edinburgh too but travel was a real PITA so moved to London - pity, Scotland is lovely when it isn't raining).
    ... Wow ... you're a real globetrotter, Trefor! I have a nephew who's "on the go" all the time too, in his capacity as Far Eastern Manager for an American-based computer firm. Likewise, a friend of mine [now retired] did a lot of jetting back and forth to the United States & Canada whereas, me ... well ... ... I'm also a "man of leisure" myself now, but my work - for the most part - tended to be based in and around the appropriately-named, historic *'Fair City' ( - *except when it's !) of Perth.

Respected Member
    Well all the travel paid off - I met Rose in Dubai while I was staying at my place in Muscat. I travel a bit less now I'm in a European role (which is handy being newly married ), but I used to spend half my life in the San Francisco area and visited Japan a lot. 2hr flights around Europe seem easy now

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by han View Post

COngrats.. vernier!!
    Good on you, you found one already.,

And I am still on job hunting and at the same time driving lesson... (phew.. expenses)
    I reckon I need to be able to drive soon before I can land a job as I live in a country side... Jobs that are related to my previous work are all in the city.

How are you gettin' on with your driving vernier??
    thanks
    han
    Her driving is great, trouble is she finds faults with my driving all the time now . Her driving test is next week ... should go OK as long as she LISTENS TO THE INSTRUCTORS DIRECTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by han View Post
    I am still on job hunting and at the same time driving lesson... (phew.. expenses)

How are you gettin' on with your driving
    Hi Han.

As described above by my husband, my driving is fine. I'm now watching show me - tell me videos as preparation for my test next week. Also, I'm planning to do more manoeuvre this weekend. Really nervous!

In regards to expenses, apart from driving lesson and test fees, I have booked my Life in the UK test on 21 March. The handbook is £10.75 from Amazon including delivery charge and the exam fee is £50. Taking this test immediately or before 25 March is a late decision actually. Anyway, I am now reading Chapter 2 unfortunately, 7 more chapters to go.

Good luck on your job hunting and driving. Ciao.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information