Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Blood donate

Blood donate

Hi all, I love to watch about medical documentary and I feel pity for some of the patients, so I am thinking to donate my blood so I can help in my simple way... Am I eligible to donate here in UK since I am a Filipina?

Or where do I contact about blood donation? Is there any problem coz I'm under immigration journey? Thank you

Respected Member
    Checkout www.blood.co.uk, it had a questionnaire to help you and lists local blood donation centres and dates

Quote Originally Posted by skysisi View Post
    Hi all, I love to watch about medical documentary and I feel pity for some of the patients, so I am thinking to donate my blood so I can help in my simple way... Am I eligible to donate here in UK since I am a Filipina?

Or where do I contact about blood donation? Is there any problem coz I'm under immigration journey? Thank you
    That's a wonderful idea and wonderful gesture. Well done

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    Checkout www.blood.co.uk, it had a questionnaire to help you and lists local blood donation centres and dates
    Thank you Ricky, I just saw the link and downloaded on my iphone app as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    That's a wonderful idea and wonderful gesture. Well done
    Thank you Sir Peter. I really felt sorry for those who needed the blood. I hope they will allow me since I'm filipina.

Can I donate about 8 pints of Joe's blood?
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Well all scousers are leeches

Suarez
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Sir Keith, maybe all his blood get empty. Joke, Sir Joe!

Banned
    You can register online at the link Rick gave - in my experience it is best to book your slot in advance at a session but you may have to give your initial donation before you can do this. If you can't book I'd turn up early round here they start off at 10 or 10.30am.

Good luck, plenty of nice coffee/tea, biscuits & crisps afterwards

What a gem. A genuine classic and very well worth the time to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    You can register online at the link Rick gave - in my experience it is best to book your slot in advance at a session but you may have to give your initial donation before you can do this. If you can't book I'd turn up early round here they start off at 10 or 10.30am.

Good luck, plenty of nice coffee/tea, biscuits & crisps afterwards
    Hi Dedworth, thank you for the reply. I booked it already this coming MAY 2. Hopefully I will pass the test so I can give my blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    What a gem. A genuine classic and very well worth the time to watch.

Thank you sir Peter

Quote Originally Posted by skysisi View Post

Well done Skysisi and such a lovely gesture. I received a blood transfusion on the birth of my son here in the UK and as a result, I am unable to donate blood but I will always be grateful to the donor

Banned
    I thought I'd bump this thread up

I've just been & given blood, pigged out on the crisps and biscuits. Won't need too many pints in the pub tonight as my blood content is lower

Banned
    I gave blood today -

Karen Healy from NHS Blood and Transplant said: “During the Easter period we normally give gifts and chocolate to loved ones.

“By giving blood you could be helping to save lives. Blood donations are always needed but it is particularly important to give around Easter as blood stocks are often more vulnerable around public holidays.

“This is due to people going away or spending more time outdoors with family and friends as the weather improves.

“We would like to thank all our blood donors for helping us to keep blood stocks at a healthy level in the past few months. We really appreciate their dedication to blood donation. However, as the need for blood never stops and hospitals in England and North Wales need more than 6,000 blood donations every day I urge both new and returning donors to make a date to donate.

“Giving blood doesn’t take too long. It should take less than an hour from arriving at your appointment time to completing your donation. So make the time to give blood, you never know whose life you could save.”

Every blood donation is vital, but NHS Blood and Transplant particularly needs to ensure supplies of the universal blood group O Rh Negative which is often in short supply as demand is so great. We also need to ensure supplies of the rarer blood groups A Rh Negative, B Rh Negative and AB Rh Negative as these are also vulnerable to shortfall.

In general, as long as you are fit and healthy, weigh over 7 stone 12 lbs and are aged between 17 and 66 you should be able to give blood.

To book an appointment to donate visit www.blood.co.uk or call 0300 123 23 23 to find your nearest session.

Trusted Member
    I'd assumed I was too old...maybe not then.

Also I'm A-neg, which is not so common I believe.

So, I'll look into it.

Oh, and full marks to you Dedworth, for being a donor.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post

So, I'll look into it.

2 packs of biscuits and a bag of your local Seabrooke crisps Graham. I recall from some of my previous that they won't let you donate if you'd been to certain parts of the Philippines in the last 2/3 months

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    2 packs of biscuits and a bag of your local Seabrooke crisps Graham. I recall from some of my previous that they won't let you donate if you'd been to certain parts of the Philippines in the last 2/3 months
    Probably something to do with the rocketing HIV numbers in the Philippines now
    The world health organization lists the Philippines as a epidemic country now
    Its not the number of people with HIV its the number of new cases every month

Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    I have a newspaper cutting from an edition of the South China Morning Post from the early 1990's,I kept it because it has a pic of a very attractive lady who worked in Ermita,an article which accompanied the pic told the story,she had contracted HIV/aids from a random pinoy guy so had taken to working the streets around Del Pilar to try to infect as many foreigners as she could

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post

So, I'll look into it.

How did you find out your A-Neg Graham as I have no idea how one finds out, had many blood tests during my life but when I've asked they say not this sample. It would be interesting to find out!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    Probably something to do with the rocketing HIV numbers in the Philippines now
    Its not the number of people with HIV its the number of new cases every month
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    I have a newspaper cutting from an edition of the South China Morning Post from the early 1990's,I kept it because it has a pic of a very attractive lady who worked in Ermita,an article which accompanied the pic told the story,she had contracted HIV/aids from a random pinoy guy so had taken to working the streets around Del Pilar to try to infect as many foreigners as she could
    Malaria risk I think - I know at the time they want to know what part of the Philippines & they looked it up on a list.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    How did you find out your A-Neg Graham as I have no idea how one finds out, had many blood tests during my life but when I've asked they say not this sample. It would be interesting to find out!
    It was from some blood tests I had done in Hong Kong back in the 90s Michael....for a job medical.

Trusted Member
    Well done Dedworth for donating more blood and reminding us about the topic .

It’s a good idea for everyone to know their blood group in case they might need a transfusion, or decide to donate blood ( although in each case their blood group would be tested first ). Only 4% of us give blood in the UK .

Your blood group is determined by antigens – protein molecules on the surface of red blood cells ; and antibodies in the blood.

• The most common blood type is " O ( Rh ) positive " - about 40% in the UK ( 45% in the Philippines ). Next is A positive ( 36% UK ; 23% Philippines ) ; B positive ( 7% UK ; 25% Philippines ); O negative ( 7% UK ); A negative ( 6% UK ); AB positive ( 2.5% UK ; 5% Philippines ) B negative ( 1% UK ) ; ( entire Rh negative group less than 1% Philippines ).

• Of course blood must be as safe as possible – both for the donor before giving it, and also the recipient. Not only should it be of compatible group, but it should also be free of transfusion-transmissible diseases. It is therefore tested for HIV ( Human Immunodeficiency Virus ); HBV ( hepatitis B virus ); HCV ( hepatitis C virus ); and syphilis - in both the UK and the Philippines ( Philippine Red Cross ). Some tests are not performed on every donation – for example, malaria ( which may very rarely be transmissible by donated blood ).

• Neither the World Health Organization nor anyone else knows the true frequencies of HIV infection and AIDS cases in the UK or the Philippines.

Testing is not done without consent in either country.

Over 100,000 are estimated to be living with HIV in the UK, a quarter being " unaware of their infection ". A far smaller number have AIDS - which can be treated but not cured, and for which there is no vaccine. Men having sex with men account for over 40,000; heterosexuals about 60,000.

The Philippines Department of Health estimated total number of HIV cases in the country is about 23,000 - almost all males, and 4/5 men having sex with men. The recent increase in numbers in part reflects more accurate diagnosis and reporting.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Blood-g...roduction.aspx

http://www.blood.co.uk/about-blood/blood-group-basics/

http://www.redcross.org.ph/get-involved/give-blood

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...07-01-2015.pdf

http://www.doh.gov.ph/sites/default/...IDSreg2014.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post
    Well done Dedworth for donating more blood and reminding us about the topic .

It’s a good idea for everyone to know their blood group in case they might need a transfusion, or decide to donate blood ( although in each case their blood group would be tested first ). Only 4% of us give blood in the UK .

Your blood group is determined by antigens – protein molecules on the surface of red blood cells ; and antibodies in the blood.

• The most common blood type is " O ( Rh ) positive " - about 40% in the UK ( 45% in the Philippines ). Next is A positive ( 36% UK ; 23% Philippines ) ; B positive ( 7% UK ; 25% Philippines ); O negative ( 7% UK ); A negative ( 6% UK ); AB positive ( 2.5% UK ; 5% Philippines ) B negative ( 1% UK ) ; ( entire Rh negative group less than 1% Philippines ).

• Of course blood must be as safe as possible – both for the donor before giving it, and also the recipient. Not only should it be of compatible group, but it should also be free of transfusion-transmissible diseases. It is therefore tested for HIV ( Human Immunodeficiency Virus ); HBV ( hepatitis B virus ); HCV ( hepatitis C virus ); and syphilis - in both the UK and the Philippines ( Philippine Red Cross ). Some tests are not performed on every donation – for example, malaria ( which may very rarely be transmissible by donated blood ).

• Neither the World Health Organization nor anyone else knows the true frequencies of HIV infection and AIDS cases in the UK or the Philippines.

Testing is not done without consent in either country.

Over 100,000 are estimated to be living with HIV in the UK, a quarter being " unaware of their infection ". A far smaller number have AIDS - which can be treated but not cured, and for which there is no vaccine. Men having sex with men account for over 40,000; heterosexuals about 60,000.

The Philippines Department of Health estimated total number of HIV cases in the country is about 23,000 - almost all males, and 4/5 men having sex with men. The recent increase in numbers in part reflects more accurate diagnosis and reporting.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Blood-g...roduction.aspx

http://www.blood.co.uk/about-blood/blood-group-basics/

http://www.redcross.org.ph/get-involved/give-blood

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...07-01-2015.pdf

http://www.doh.gov.ph/sites/default/...IDSreg2014.pdf
    Thanks Alan, am I too old to be a doner?

Nice one Dedworth

No biscuits here, just a bed plonked in the middle of the Municipal Basketball court, so the whole town can watch you

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Thanks Alan, am I too old to be a doner?
    Michael this was taken from the link that Dedworth provided in his previous post. I was also curious about the age limit, as they seem to be stricter here in the Philippines.

Most people can give blood. As long as you are fit and healthy, weigh over 7 stone 12 lbs (50kg) and are aged between 17 and 66 (up to 70 if you have given blood before) you should be able to give blood. If you are over 70, you need to have given blood in the last two years to continue donating. However, If you are female, aged under 20 years old and weigh under 65kg (10st 3lb) and are under 168cm (5' 6") in height, we need to estimate your blood volume before donating

http://www.blood.co.uk/giving-blood/who-can-give-blood/

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Michael this was taken from the link that Dedworth provided in his previous post. I was also curious about the age limit, as they seem to be stricter here in the Philippines.

Most people can give blood. As long as you are fit and healthy, weigh over 7 stone 12 lbs (50kg) and are aged between 17 and 66 (up to 70 if you have given blood before) you should be able to give blood. If you are over 70, you need to have given blood in the last two years to continue donating. However, If you are female, aged under 20 years old and weigh under 65kg (10st 3lb) and are under 168cm (5' 6") in height, we need to estimate your blood volume before donating

http://www.blood.co.uk/giving-blood/who-can-give-blood/
    Thanks Jake, appreciated!

Thread Information