Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

How to get Marriage License here in Manila?

Hi all.

I am a Filipina, now 14 mos. engaged to my British boyfriend of nearly 4 yrs next month. If you can share with us anything about how to obtain marriage license here in Manila, what are the requirements, how long does it take to get one and what are possible causes of delays if any?

Any tips, info would be very much appreciated!

Thank you in advance

If your fiance has been married before and is diviorced, he will require a certificate of no impediment to marry. Actually I think its required even if he has never been married. It can be obtained from his local registry office also once obtained from the (british embassy) you will need to register your permission to marry at the council office/church you intend to marry in.
    Ten days must then pass between registration of your intention to marry and the marriage to take place.
    Your fiance will have to apply for an appt at the British embassy to gain permission to marry. It's really important that you read fully the documents you are required to provide at this meeting (available on the british embassy website) the earlier you apply the more likely you are to get the appt date you want, I believe I am right in saying you can apply for this licence online. you also will be required to obtain a certificate of no impediment to marry from your local NSO office

Read as much about this as possible and do your research and then good luck.

To apply for the Marriage License you should consider having the following:-

Your N.S.O. birth certificate (This should be fresh from NSO on latest type of security paper - Check)
    Your Passport (or other appropriate ID)
    Your Barangay clearance (if needed, please check well beforehand)
    Your community tax certificate (Check - often called Cedula)
    Your postal I.D. Address
    Your CENOMAR
    Your Parents signed advice form (if under 25 years age)
    Your Parents I.D.

His birth certificate
    His passport
    His C.N.I.
    His NSO CENOMAR (check if this is needed some authorities say yes others say not needed)
    His Divorce decree asbsolute (if applicable)

Certificate of 'Pre-Marriage Seminar' (if needed, please check well beforehand)

In connection with the Marriage Licence the Executive Order No.209 (The Family Code of the Philippines) states:-

Art. 17. The local civil registrar shall prepare a notice which shall contain the full names and residences of the applicants for a marriage
    license and other data given in the applications. The notice shall be posted for ten consecutive days on a bulletin board outside the office of
    the local civil registrar located in a conspicuous place within the building and accessible to the general public.
    This notice shall request all persons having knowledge of any impediment to the marriage to advise the local civil registrar thereof.
    The marriage license shall be issued after the completion of the period of publication.
    Just for completeness it goes on to state:-
    Art. 20. The license shall be valid in any part of the Philippines for a period of one hundred twenty days from the date of issue, and shall
    be deemed automatically cancelled at the expiration of the said period if the contracting parties have not made use of it.
    The expiry date shall be stamped in bold characters on the face of every license issued.
    As I'm sure you may know by now, there are always 'local variations' in the Philippines.

After all, if the licence is not issued until after 11,12 or 13 days then it still complies with the legal requirement provided it has been posted continuously for a minimum 10 consecutive days.

Best advice is to always check locally when it actually WILL be issued.

By the way it's normal procedure that the personal appearance of those getting married is required in applying for a marriage license.

Thank you Terpe!

All noted and will check with the local civil registrar. I went there today...my fiance asked me to make inquiries just so we have an idea of what will be required of us. Guess what happened? Grrrrrr!

Thread Information