Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

my sore throat and wheres all this green gunged coming from

well i thought i was over the worst of this cold fever, but its back and back in full force this time, the mucus that coming out my nose and up my through i could plaster a wall with,took the usual lemsips and tablets, and i cant get into the doctors for another week or so, is there anything out there my friends other then a knife, the only good thing about this is its got ride of the jovos this morning saying i looked very poorly, but can we leave you this note, have you looked at yourself lately love was my thought

gross

yaikssssssssssssss

That really paints a lovely picture Stevie.... not using the ejected stuff either I mean
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

why is man flue so much more worse than woman flue, it knocks you on your back and suffer so bad,

woman just carry on as normal, must be one of the worlds best mysteries

it might be you need antibiotic, if its not clearing, see your doc, dont let it become a chest infection

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    why is man flue so much more worse than woman flue, it knocks you on your back and suffer so bad,

woman just carry on as normal, must be one of the worlds best mysteries
    It's genetic, quirk of DNA. Us men have that little extra Y chromosome so we just can't help it.
    We suffer much more.

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    well i thought i was over the worst of this cold fever, but its back and back in full force this time, the mucus that coming out my nose and up my through i could plaster a wall with,took the usual lemsips and tablets, and i cant get into the doctors for another week or so, is there anything out there my friends other then a knife, the only good thing about this is its got ride of the jovos this morning saying i looked very poorly, but can we leave you this note, have you looked at yourself lately love was my thought
    me and my steve not well also have cough and runny nose! this bloody weather, wet and cold since i arrive here!

Hopefully in following days we be ok.

cheers
    “To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heavens. [Ecclesiastes 3:1]”

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1984 View Post
    me and my steve not well also have cough and runny nose! this bloody weather, wet and cold since i arrive here!

cheers
    Spring fever

Next up Hayfever

Quote Originally Posted by Ann1984 View Post

cheers
    Welcome to the U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Spring fever

Next up Hayfever
    very funny you! I think this is winter fever! lol cold and wet!
    “To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heavens. [Ecclesiastes 3:1]”

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Welcome to the U.K.
    thank you Andrew! hope you are well! not feel so bad in this weather! hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    My Idol!

Trusted Member
    You do seem to be suffering, from your graphic description Steve, but you’re far from alone !

One has to be careful giving advice with limited information, but it doesn’t sound like true influenza. More likely it’s a common viral cold which is self-limiting, and even if the discharge you describe is infected ( by bacteria / “ bugs “ ) it should still get better with rest, fluid and food, paracetamol, other “ over-the-counter “ remedies - and no antibiotics.

As for “ man – flu “, I know of no good evidence that it exists ! Neither the presence of more temperature receptors in the brain in men ( whereby they MIGHT feel the effects of fever more than women ) ; nor a survey a few years ago in “ Nuts “ magazine ( claiming that men suffer more than women from “ flu “ ) ... are proof of “ man-flu “.

ALL normal human cells ( except sperm and eggs ) contain 22 pairs of chromosomes, plus 2 sex chromosomes ( XX in women, XY in men ). Sperm and eggs each contain half that number. Both men and women may have an extra X chromosome ( with clinical abnormalities ). An extra Y chromosome ( only in men ) either gives no, or inconsistent, abnormalities. NO chromosome abnormality has been linked to “ man-flu “.

Anyone who has real flue are flat on their back for at least three days,you cant even get out of bed. I have had it once in my life and you cant believe the pain, every joint in the body is agony, with the sweating and hallucinations its not fun lol

As Alan states, there is no such thing as 'man flu' My thoughts are that it is seen as two things. 1, Those who get hit with the cold virus (like Steve) are hard working and are generally in good health and normally shake off or work through small coughs and sneezes. If however, circumstances are right and they are caught 'off guard' the symptoms can feel worse than they actually are and a greater affliction 'man flu' is called out. 2, For the sick notes amongst the community calling 'man flu' can be a good excuse for days off of work or added sympathy from those around them.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

its been a week now and boy that was a bad week , a little sore still, throat feels like needles everytime i swallow, cant talk, just have to smile, must remember to put my tooth back in, poor Ems has been like an angel, once better i shall treat her to something nice, and not a KFC either

Trusted Member
    It seems like TLC ( tender loving care ) from Emma, plus the measures already suggested, should help you recover, Steve.

But since you have raised this in the health section, you may still be looking for advice, as well as sympathy !

You know I’m not a GP, and can’t make diagnoses at a distance or tell ANY member what to do.

However, I suggest ( if you haven’t already done so ) to say “ aaaaaaaaaagh “ to Emma - she can look to see if your tonsils at the back of your throat are red and swollen = tonsillitis.

This is much commoner in children and young adults, and is usually viral in cause, not needing any different treatment to that for a bad cold. It may, if it persists, be bacterial and need antibiotics prescribed by your GP.

You would remember if you’ve had it before ( chronic tonsillitis ). It’s unusual these days to need surgical removal, especially in adults. The tonsils act as a barrier against spread of infection.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Tonsill...roduction.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    Anyone who has real flue are flat on their back for at least three days,
    Most chimneys have [a] real flue ... but usually stand upright!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Alan View Post

You would remember if you’ve had it before ( chronic tonsillitis ). It’s unusual these days to need surgical removal, especially in adults. The tonsils act as a barrier against spread of infection.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Tonsill...roduction.aspx
    Conversely, Alan ... you'll remember it was commonplace for kids of the early post-war generation to have their *tonsils removed prior to starting school (as *MINE were in 1949) for no reason other than parents of that era's [? mistaken ] belief that such a practice was somehow "beneficial" in safeguarding their child(ren) against developing frequent colds, &c.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Conversely, Alan ... you'll remember it was commonplace for kids of the early post-war generation to have their *tonsils removed prior to starting school (as *MINE were in 1949) for no reason other than parents of that era's [? mistaken ] belief that such a practice was somehow "beneficial" in safeguarding their child(ren) against developing frequent colds, &c.
    I do remember Arthur ! In fact the parents were not to blame. It was accepted medical practice for many years, then it was realised that in most cases the tonsils are actually beneficial in helping prevent infection. Only when they become overwhelmed, swollen and infected frequently would tonsillectomy now be considered.

When I was a junior hospital doctor in the 1970's, part of my duties for one 6 month period was to admit and prepare perhaps 15 or so healthy kids on a Sunday for " routine " T & A " ( tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy ) the next day. How times have changed - now ( rightly ) medical and surgical treatments are evidence-based ... or they shouldn't be done !

Get well soon Steve - TLC from Emma and ( possibly ) antibiotics !

well would you believe it, still feeling poorly all day and in bed just after 9pm tonight, and now i am awake starving, so a bowl of cereal and a kit kat things may be looking up

I had my tonsils taken out when I was a kid, but the doctors tried for many months with medicines, but they did not work. Wonderful doctors at Kings College Hospital 60 years ago.

Worst thing I had was glandular fever. Couldn't eat solids for about two weeks then after that it was another two weeks or so of feeling very lethargic. Couldn't even walk up some steps without feeling knackered.

Thread Information