Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

does anyone know the answer to this one

Hi All.Got a question..

My wife has recently applied for the spouse visa but as the final destination is Guernsey they did not take her biometrics(even though I asked her to tell them to do it)

My plans were to visit my parents in the U.K for a week or so before coming back to Guernsey.

Will she be permitted to enter the UK without those biometrics?

Infact will she be permitted to enter the UK full stop?

I know the Border Agency website states that the whole of UK AND Islands are within the common travel area and so therefore Its all the same where the visa is concerned but some little thing is niggling the back of my mind about this and would like to know if one of you would know the answer to lay my mind to rest.

Cheers very much

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    So she didn't have any biometrics taken at VFS when she submitted her application? All applicants must have their biometrics done upon giving her documents and application form.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    So she didn't have any biometrics taken at VFS when she submitted her application? All applicants must have their biometrics done upon giving her documents and application form.

I'm afraid they don't if the final destination is channel islands.

I believe you'll find that Biometrics is not required for CI or indeed IoM.

If you need to have this confirmed you'd be better advised to contact Guernsey Border Agency (Immigration and Nationality Division). We don't have many regular posters here from CI

Guernsey Border Agency
    New Jetty
    White Rock
    St Peter Port, Guernsey
    GY1 2LL
    Tel: +44 1481 741420
    Email:ind@gba.gov.gg

Your wife will be perfectly eligible to enter and re-enter UK at any time.

UK Immigrations rules state:-
    "A person who has been examined for the purpose of immigration control at the point at which he entered the area does not normally require leave to enter any other part of it....."
    There are some specific exceptions relating to the Republic of Ireland but this will not affect your wife

Concerning the details of Common Travel Area (The United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland) you'll find them within the The Immigration (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I believe you'll find that Biometrics is not required for CI or indeed IoM.

If you need to have this confirmed you'd be better advised to contact Guernsey Border Agency (Immigration and Nationality Division). We don't have many regular posters here from CI

Guernsey Border Agency
    New Jetty
    White Rock
    St Peter Port, Guernsey
    GY1 2LL
    Tel: +44 1481 741420
    Email:ind@gba.gov.gg

Your wife will be perfectly eligible to enter and re-enter UK at any time.

UK Immigrations rules state:-
    "A person who has been examined for the purpose of immigration control at the point at which he entered the area does not normally require leave to enter any other part of it....."
    There are some specific exceptions relating to the Republic of Ireland but this will not affect your wife

Concerning the details of Common Travel Area (The United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland) you'll find them within the The Immigration (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Rules.
    hanks Terpe.

The advice I was given is as follows....Yes as the final destination is Guernsey the biometrics are not needed,however if entering the UK on route to Guernsey and if planning to stay in the UK for a given time before going to Guernsey,biometrics are needed and should be asked for at the VFS office in Manila on application.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie bobby View Post
    hanks Terpe.

The advice I was given is as follows....Yes as the final destination is Guernsey the biometrics are not needed,however if entering the UK on route to Guernsey and if planning to stay in the UK for a given time before going to Guernsey,biometrics are needed and should be asked for at the VFS office in Manila on application.
    I just wonder how valid that information is.
    Many folks here have arrived on the same visa that your wife will be issue and have not so far applied for any Biometrics card.

As far as I know it's still the case that although Biometrics forms part of the visa application in Philippines there's no card or paper evidence given of that.
    UK has a different set of rules on that and application will result in the issue of a Bio card.

Basically you cannot apply for a Biometric Residence Permit unless you are applying to extend your stay in one of the qualifying categories. (ie FLR / ILR )
    Those who are not in such categories continue to rely on the visa vignette in their passport.

Anyway your wife will have no problems.
    For your own peace of mind please do contact your own Immigration Directorate.
    Your feedback here on the information they give would be helpful, especially if, as you have intimated "entering the UK on route to Guernsey and if planning to stay in the UK for a given time before going to Guernsey,biometrics are needed " is correct. This advice seems to imply that those folks arriving to UK on settlement visa's issued in Manila should also have a Biometrics Residence Permit. But none is actually issued.

Sounds a bit confusing really.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I just wonder how valid that information is.
    Many folks here have arrived on the same visa that your wife will be issue and have not so far applied for any Biometrics card.

As far as I know it's still the case that although Biometrics forms part of the visa application in Philippines there's no card or paper evidence given of that.
    UK has a different set of rules on that and application will result in the issue of a Bio card.

Basically you cannot apply for a Biometric Residence Permit unless you are applying to extend your stay in one of the qualifying categories. (ie FLR / ILR )
    Those who are not in such categories continue to rely on the visa vignette in their passport.

Anyway your wife will have no problems.
    For your own peace of mind please do contact your own Immigration Directorate.
    Your feedback here on the information they give would be helpful, especially if, as you have intimated "entering the UK on route to Guernsey and if planning to stay in the UK for a given time before going to Guernsey,biometrics are needed " is correct. This advice seems to imply that those folks arriving to UK on settlement visa's issued in Manila should also have a Biometrics Residence Permit. But none is actually issued.

Sounds a bit confusing really.
    Yes it is confusing to say the least.I sent my wife back to the VFS Office who then called the Embassy whom confirmed she would need the biometrics if entering via the UK and so they allowed her to take the biometrics 1 day after her application.Beats me!

Although I don't know about any biometrics card being issued, The British Embassy in Manila DID say she would need biometrics taken on the itinerary provided.The Guernsey Border agency said they did not really know but pointed me in the direction of the Embassy,They could only tell me no biometrics were needed for Guernsey.British Embassy said Biometrics were needed on every UK Spouse Visa application but as she was going to be living in Guernsey they did not have the authority to ask for biometrics but as she WILL be entering through UK and staying in UK before heading to Guernsey she MUST have biometrics done.any thoughts on this?? I would have thought as it came from the Embassy it must be correct.

Thread Information