Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation New UKBA Requirements for Settlement and Naturalisation

08 April 2013

Today (8 April 2013), the Home Office is publishing a statement of intent outlining planned changes to requirements for those applying to settle in the UK, or become naturalised as British citizens.

From 28 October 2013, applicants in both categories will be required to pass the Life in the UK Test and to hold a B1 (intermediate) level English language speaking and listening qualification. This change will strengthen the citizenship process, replacing the current system which requires applicants to sit either the life in the UK test or show language progression from one English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) level to the next, but not both.

The knowledge of language and life requirement for settlement (Indefinite leave to remain)

From 28 October 2013, there will be two parts to the knowledge of language and life requirement, both of which must be met by all applicants for settlement unless the individual is exempt. Applicants will be required to:
    pass the Life in the UK test; and
    to have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or its equivalent.

The knowledge of language and life requirement for naturalisation

The knowledge of language and life requirement for naturalisation as a British citizen will be the same as that for settlement, and the same English language qualifications will be accepted.

English language qualifications

A range of English language qualifications will be accepted as evidence that an applicant has met the B1 level speaking and listening requirements.

These include:
    Qualifications covering speaking and listening at B1 or above from the Home Office's Secure English Language Test (SELT) list.

ESOL qualifications at entry levels 1, 2 or 3, including speaking and listening, that have been regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual). The qualification must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register of Regulated Qualifications and must have been taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.
    A National Qualification in ESOL at Scottish Qualifications Framework levels 4, 5 or 6, awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority and taken in Scotland.

For full details of the new requirements, please see the statement of intent.

Source:-
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...latest+news%29

Just to clarify, the above new requirements DO NOT affect in any way the English Language Requirements which apply to any Visa applications for leave to enter UK (Spouse / Partner / Fiance(e) etc) or to FLR(M) (Further Leave to Remain) applications.
    Those applications will remain at A1 level.

The new requirements DO APPLY to ALL ILR and British Citizenship aplications from 28 October 2013 onwards. Regardless that applicant may already have a pass certificate at A1 level

Those folks who have already passed the Life in UK Test based on the previous (old) handbook will not be expected to take a revised Life in UK Test , even if they apply for settlement on or after 28 October 2013.

Hi peter does the english speaking & listening test apply for naturalisation for those who have ilr under the old rules or do they carry on under the old rules with just the life in the uk test pass needed

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by stevie c View Post
    Hi peter does the english speaking & listening test apply for naturalisation for those who have ilr under the old rules or do they carry on under the old rules with just the life in the uk test pass needed
    Hi Stevie,
    This is a new requirement.
    For Naturalisation, 'old rules' (pre-July 2012) or 'new rules' do not come into it.

Anyone who applies for Naturalisation on or after 28 October 2013 will need to have:-

1. A Life in UK Test (if a pass is already held then it will not need to be retaken)
    2. A pass certificate for English Language speaking and listening at B1 level or higher

Unfortunately Steve, this means your wife will need to take this new English Language test before she can apply for British Citizenship.

Respected Member melovesengland's Avatar
    Ohh dear. Not another new rules again? Its never ending!

I have just checked my documents, my english test expires next year and my BRP expires 2015 so it is clear as water that I am going to take a bloody English TEST again! This is just getting ridiculous. Where is the bloody justice.

I wonder if taking ESOL will free me from both English Language requirement and Life in the UK test? Do you think thats possible?

Thanks Peter - it's crazy that someone can live here for 3yrs & still needs to pass an English speaking test

I know Stevie. Ridiculous! Tsk Tsk Tsk

Anyone know where these english test centres are situated across the uk?

Anyone know where these englush test centres are situated across the uk?
    Steve, you'd need to check against the UKBA approved English Language Test listing here

Just for IELTS you can search on the webpage here for 59 test centres in UK

IELTS - Test Centres - Search

I'll try to put together a listing later. It might be helpful for many folks.

Many thanks Peter, so IELTS is accepted by UKBA?

Thanks Peter - it's crazy that someone can live here for 3yrs & still needs to pass an English speaking test
    Stevie, I disagree.
    If you're going to be a citizen of this country.... then a certain standard of English should be required.
    I also think that successful applicants should also be on a "trial period", of for example 5 years.
    Certain criminal convictions should mean their citizenship (and British passport) being rescinded.

... as an aside...
    For many years I've worked as an Electoral Registration officer in SE London, getting people to fill out & return their electoral registration forms.
    I'm now no longer amazed at the number of people I encounter who claim British citizenship, but who can't string more than 5 words of English together in a sentence, or grasp any concept of what is required from them (re registration).
    No man is an island, but Barry is

All this means is my wife had better sit and pass the "Life in the UK" Test before October this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    All this means is my wife had better sit and pass the "Life in the UK" Test before October this year.
    Yes, and also either submit ILR application or Sit and pass the B1 level English Test before then also.

Quote Originally Posted by melovesengland View Post
    ....I wonder if taking ESOL will free me from both English Language requirement and Life in the UK test? Do you think thats possible?
    No.
    Whichever way you decide to meet the requirements there will need to be an element that includes a pass certificate of Life in UK and addionally a pass certificate for speaking and listening qualification in English at B1

As it stands currently, it's possible to participate in an ESOL Citizenship based course.
    You still need to secure that English Language pass certificate though.
    However, after 28 October that route is no longer available. I believe there were many abuses of that system.

As the new requirement states, you will need two things:-

- A pass the Life in the UK test
    and
    - A speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 or higher.

Yeah I have just checked that on the UKBA website as well Sir Peter. Maybe thats one of the reasons why they revised that system again. Errrr. Anyway, they left us with no other choices but to do such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Yes, and also either submit ILR application or Sit and pass the B1 level English Test before then also.
    How soon can i submit the ILR application after being here or so i have to wait the 5 years as i am on the new system which came in to force last April 2012.

Since my wife arrived here last December i have not logged on here much and i think i need to keep up to date with what is going on.

How soon can i submit the ILR application after being here or so i have to wait the 5 years as i am on the new system which came in to force last April 2012.

Since my wife arrived here last December i have not logged on here much and i think i need to keep up to date with what is going on.
    Rory, the so-called 'new rules' were implemented 9th July 2012

Anyone being granted visa leading to settlement after that date will be following a basic 5 year immigration journey.

If your wife arrived December 2012 under old rules she will have an initial visa to remain here which has a vaidity of 33 months.
    Shortly before the first period of 30 months living in UK has been reached she should then apply for a further period of 30 months under FLR(M)

Shortly before the 60 month (5 year) qualifying period ends she will be eligible to apply for ILR
    Taking December 2012 as the base, she will be looking to apply for ILR sometime November 2017

Thank you for the dates, i will note them in my diary.

Thank you for the dates, i will note them in my diary.
    Rory, please double check the actual dates that apply to your wife.
    The dates I indicated were just a rough idea based on the general info you posted

Applications may be made up to 28 days before the anniversary date or visa expiry.

We would want to stay a bit longer before we apply for naturalisation, to make the most of what we paid for premium service ILR , ...but ouch!! the fees increased in a blink and the IELTS will cost me £131 (Oxford) ..NO more rip-off!!... I am applying for naturalisation before October!!
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Such a money-spinning joke. We passed english test in manila for fiancee visa. Post arrival and pre marriage, provider was then taken off the list so we had to go to Pearson and got the test done again for FLR (all disciplines passed at either B1 or B2). Now they change the rule again and pearson test only valid two years which means we will have to do it again before applying for a passport.

Three english tests for my wife who has held down a job here in London for the past year. Pathetic! Last hurrah for the 'UKBA' before it is disbanded completely. Good riddance to bad rubbish. What other changes will they slip in before we can apply for naturalisation next July?

argggggggggggg now im totally confuse am on ILR and would be eligible to apply this june if am correct (3 years) in the UK..what im suppose to do..apply before oct and will be exempted from new rule?? or will take test again to be able to apply citizenship..
    A place for everything, everything in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    We would want to stay a bit longer before we apply for naturalisation, to make the most of what we paid for premium service ILR , ...but ouch!! the fees increased in a blink and the IELTS will cost me £131 (Oxford) ..NO more rip-off!!... I am applying for naturalisation before October!!
    SO YOU MEAN SARS if we apply before oct we wont b affected as i rem we both same scenario I am on ILR too 3 years here on June or was May sorry lols am in panic readinf this thread you know

Quote Originally Posted by Moy View Post
    argggggggggggg now im totally confuse am on ILR and would be eligible to apply this june if am correct (3 years) in the UK..what im suppose to do..apply before oct and will be exempted from new rule?? or will take test again to be able to apply citizenship..
    If you can make the budget Moy better to apply before 28 October then you will not be affected.

On or after 28 October will need new pass certificate English Language at B1 level

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    If you can make the budget Moy better to apply before 28 October then you will not be affected.

On or after 28 October will need new pass certificate English Language at B1 level
    why it seems i came here in the UK These changes coming in every year sick of this weather plus the demand of things here..had enough lols
    anyway thanks for the rescue Terpe

we all drain...first ILR NEW RULE BALH BLAH..what next..

Respected Member
    I felt almost sick reading about this.
    My friend will be applying for ILR in late October and until we check the dates again I fear that she will need this language test. She has already passed Life in UK test.
    I have found a college that offers the Cambridge B1 exam but does anyone have any feel for what the course work involves for someone who has (obviously) been here for more than 4 years and speaks/writes English very well with maybe the odd mistake (saying He instead of She - things like that)
    Any thoughts?
    It all sounds like a complete nightmare...
    And I guess expensive??????

Ps Huge thanks to Terpe for keeping us informed of these changes.

Well the shifting sands of uk immigration rules,more stress and expense for all involved,makes you wonder whats coming next.I really feel for those still coming through or thinking of applying,for sure it seems that fees are only going to go up.
    The irony is that we actually need more immigration,much more due to the ageing population,the day may come when we offer incentives for people to settle here.

We may be fortunate as Rose arrived here 3 years ago on october 19th.She only just got her ILR last month so we hope it will be ok to apply for the naturalisation in october before the new requirement comes in.

Hold on a minute guys !!!...The month of April is not over yet...meaning, there will be more changes
    ...just watch out for updates given by our valuable members here especially Terpe (thank you)

Quote Originally Posted by Moy View Post
    SO YOU MEAN SARS if we apply before oct we wont b affected as i rem we both same scenario I am on ILR too 3 years here on June or was May sorry lols am in panic readinf this thread you know
    dont panic MOy, as long as you got the money and the documents for naturalisation everything will be fine ..I just cant be bothered to to sit for an English test especially if the test is NOT Free and I have to waste my one whole day of PAID work just to pay the leeches!!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Thank you so much for this information Peter, Don't know what most of us would do without your valuable helpful knowledge, I'm sure you are much appreciated by myself and many other forum members, Thankyou!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information