Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Trusted Member
    When these people in this country in so-called poverty give up smoking, drinking, gambling, feeding their assorted pets and creating more and more new orrible little chavs, then I will have some sympathy for them...maybe.

Compared with the people in this world in GENUINE poverty, they have easy lives.

Let them all live in the slums of Bangladesh or other 3rd world countries for a few weeks, or in a refugee camp in Monrovia, to experience the true meaning of poverty.

Useless idle gits.

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Here is another,lots more dya want me to go on?
    post some facts les, about the good thatcher did for you, i wait your reply, well it will after wait til i get home, got to work now
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I'm not a politically minded person. I'd prefer to see talented folks running the country and government departments regardless of political doctrine.

Just feel like contributing my own feelings from all those many years ago and the reasons why Thatcherism was born by recounting some historical facts that I lived through.

Don't forget that was long long ago and society was different, culture was different.

Does anyone here remember those 1970's times of the oil-shocks, the stock market crash and huge raging inflation?
    I would say we were so very lucky to have had the opportunity of the coming oil revenues then.

Also anyone remember how we went cap in hand to the IMF so we could beg on our knees to secure a 'bail-out' of £2.5bn ?
    The then Chancellor of the Exchequer, Denis Healey,(nice bloke I thought) implemented severe public spending cuts and a major strategy of economic austerity.

Thatcher became Prime Minister in 1979.
    Already the UK had become a complete economic basket-case. The economic outlook was more than bleak, it was desperate .
    Growth did not exist. Inflation was killing the living standards of everyone.
    The years of conflict between the unions and the then Labour government eventually led to government chaos and downfall.

The then Labour government was completely helpless as it tried to enforce an incomes policy on the reluctant trade unions, inflation was at record highs.
    The oil tanker drivers were striking at will, road haulage disputes with violent and bitter secondary picketing, followed by a strike of the public sector put the whole country into shock. The government had given up. The Unions were discontented and extreme. Between 9 - 10 million days got lost due to industrial action. Even more than the historic general strike of 1926.
    I reckon we all remember those public sector strikes. The author Douglas Smith wrote “ the county was virtually paralysed”, he even said there was 'a serious shortage of food and medical supplies.'

As a young man in my twenties I actually lived and worked through all those times. It was darn scary and constantly unstable. Many time I thought I'd lose everthing.

That period from 1974 -1979 was such a disaster. In almost every respect it became a political legend. Seems too many folks forget too easily.

I haven't.!!!!!!

When Harold Wilson resigned in 1976, he knew, the whole country knew, he was leaving a sinking ship.

James Callaghan did his best but still formed a devils-pact with the Liberals, not only to stay in power but also to finally bring the unions under a controlling whip and to also to finally force an incomes policy on them come what may.

Herein lay the roots for the infamous 'Winter of Discontent'. Remember that?

I do!!!!!

All the above are FACTS. Period.

Nothing to do with Thatcher at all.

But try to think back to those times. If you lived through them try to really recall the emotions.

This next rant may not be factual, but just how I saw it at the time.

The unions had originally given birth to the Labour party. Blood is thicker than water when it come to children and there could never be any winners between them. Not even the country itself could win.

I wanted something to happen. The whole country wanted something big to happen.

It did.
    The "Winter of Discontent"

Followed by Mrs Thatcher winning the next election. For good or for bad.

That's called history, and I lived through it. What a time I've had.

Just my 2 centavos
    I don't need to spend ages telling you why,Terpe summed it up perfectly.
    I was pissed off with an the miners and unions holding the country to ransom.
    The country was just a pile of washed out crap according to the rest of the world.
    I was working hard earning good money,Maggie appereared and for me and many,many others was the figurehead the country needed to feel we were once again an Important country.
    Sometimes you need to be pushed and to some extent told what to do,for me she took know ....,unions were strangling the country and as sad as it was for the miners she was right,it was uneconomical to continue as it was.
    now call me a mean git but thats life,If I got to work and no-one wants a taxi anymore are you gonna bail me out ?
    Doubt it,it's up to me to do something else.
    People think the are owed a living makes me puke
    It's like the measures being taken now-we have overspent but the majority of the voting public dont grasp it,they will vote for another party as they dont like being told to tighten their belts,as much as we can blame the bankers we all have to take responsability for spending too much.
    We did not need the Platinum visa card £15,000 credit limit but we took it anyway and spent it,then moaned when we had to pay it back!
    Moving on to the Falkands dispute,I remember being shocked when that guy came on tv and said Hms Sheffield had been sunk!
    I was wanting to bomb Buenos Aries!
    Our guys did us proud and as for the sinking of the Belgrano great job carried out,not our fault the junta government filled it full of conscripts,they wanted to defeat the British and failed so maybe don't invade the Falkands Islands then!
    Never felt more British and proud when we defeated them and in total admiration of Maggie in her unwavering and decisive leadership.
    Yes she had brutal decisions to make-but she did them and never hid away.
    totally admire the woman,always will.

Banned
    Well said Les

Trusted Member
    Hear hear !

So, we're supposed to feel sorry for people 'living it large' beyond their means ?

No leader can save anyone from their own stupidity, but when you've got a stupid leader, like Scargill, or 'Red Robbo' of British Leyland 'fame'...

Actually, in their case stupid is too mild a word. CRAZY would be more apt.

wow, its better then yesterday, but i am glad my sheep got mentioned againnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    wow, its better then yesterday, but i am glad my sheep got mentioned againnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    AMAZING, ISN'T it? ... we're already on page nnnnnnnnnine!

amazing indeed, to a few she was not right, but then again nobody wants to be told what to do, but someone has to do that job, there are a few who like what she had done, me i cant remember other then the miners and the war, both affected me, but like many most have come out good

“There is no such thing as society” – Margaret Thatcher, 1988
    “There is no such thing as Margaret Thatcher” – Society, 2013
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post

most have come out good
    ............... ... few have ANYTHING to complain about. No.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Confirmation, if any were needed, that the average citizen of this country is pretty dense, sheep-like, and will always be swayed by what spin the media puts on anything.

Maggie came along when this country needed a good kick up the backside, and she provided it. Quite simple.

Who's Bieber ?
    I dont know what media you are going on about because most of the media i have seen since thatchers death is very much PRO thatcher !

The sad part about this is that normal people like yourself actually fall for all the right wing Tory anti union rubbish with their scare stories about anyone in a union must be trying to bring the country down

Most people these days have been brainwashed into thinking anything to do with a union must be bad for the country = thats the real spin

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    I dont know what media you are going on about because most of the media i have seen since thatchers death is very much PRO thatcher !

The sad part about this is that normal people like yourself actually fall for all the right wing Tory anti union rubbish with their scare stories about anyone in a union must be trying to bring the country down

Most people these days have been brainwashed into thinking anything to do with a union must be bad for the country = thats the real spin
    I don't fall for anything mate....and I DON'T vote Tory...AND I'm NOT a normal person...AND I do support trade unions with SANE leaders.

Respected Member
    I don't need to spend ages telling you why,Terpe summed it up perfectly.
    I was pissed off with an the miners and unions holding the country to ransom.
    The country was just a pile of washed out crap according to the rest of the world.
    I was working hard earning good money,Maggie appereared and for me and many,many others was the figurehead the country needed to feel we were once again an Important country.
    Sometimes you need to be pushed and to some extent told what to do,for me she took know ....,unions were strangling the country and as sad as it was for the miners she was right,it was uneconomical to continue as it was.
    now call me a mean git but thats life,If I got to work and no-one wants a taxi anymore are you gonna bail me out ?
    Doubt it,it's up to me to do something else.
    People think the are owed a living makes me puke
    It's like the measures being taken now-we have overspent but the majority of the voting public dont grasp it,they will vote for another party as they dont like being told to tighten their belts,as much as we can blame the bankers we all have to take responsability for spending too much.
    We did not need the Platinum visa card £15,000 credit limit but we took it anyway and spent it,then moaned when we had to pay it back!
    Moving on to the Falkands dispute,I remember being shocked when that guy came on tv and said Hms Sheffield had been sunk!
    I was wanting to bomb Buenos Aries!
    Our guys did us proud and as for the sinking of the Belgrano great job carried out,not our fault the junta government filled it full of conscripts,they wanted to defeat the British and failed so maybe don't invade the Falkands Islands then!
    Never felt more British and proud when we defeated them and in total admiration of Maggie in her unwavering and decisive leadership.
    Yes she had brutal decisions to make-but she did them and never hid away.
    totally admire the woman,always will.
    Oh so its so great working in this country nowadays

Most employers here are paying peanuts = care to blame that on the unions

A few rocks in the middle of nowhere how do we stake a claim for them ?
    thatcher entered that war because she looked at it as a vote winner (it worked)
    i just viewed it as a total waste of life and it could have been handled better

Btw the british empire ended years ago so stop harping on about a bygone age

The amazing thing about Thatcher is that if it wasn't for the Falklands she would've lost the second election. She came to power in '79 interest rates doubled, Vat almost doubled from 8 to 15% and between '79 and '82 unemployment went from 1.4m to 3.5m.

Most employers here are paying peanuts = care to blame that on the unions

A few rocks in the middle of nowhere how do we stake a claim for them ?
    thatcher entered that war because she looked at it as a vote winner (it worked)
    i just viewed it as a total waste of life and it could have been handled better

Btw the british empire ended years ago so stop harping on about a bygone age
    It was British territory! A few rocks lol
    Home to the Falkland islanders I'm sure they would dispute that with you
    How does many of the Large powers past and present lay claim to anything then?
    She entered the conflict because the Falklands were invaded by a foreign army,do you think she should have abandoned them
    How do ya handle it better,ask them nicely to leave
    Parts of the Empire still remain I'm glad to say.

Trusted Member
    I vote we share London out.

It would probably qualify as foreign territory.

Thats Gordon Brown to thank for

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    The amazing thing about Thatcher is that if it wasn't for the Falklands she would of lost the second election. She came to power in '79 interest rates doubled, Vat almost doubled from 8 to 15% and between '79 and '82 unemployment went from 1.4m to 3.5m.
    How come she won the third then?

Respected Member
    It was British territory! A few rocks lol
    Home to the Falkland islanders I'm sure they would dispute that with you
    How does many of the Large powers past and present lay claim to anything then?
    She entered the conflict because the Falklands were invaded by a foreign army,do you think she should have abandoned them
    How do ya handle it better,ask them nicely to leave
    Parts of the Empire still remain I'm glad to say.
    The islanders could have been given the option to move to the uk
    Sending a large task force there was not a great idea and cost the lives of many
    I respect those servicemen who fought in that war but i never agreed with that conflict
    Really how can we claim those islands with them being so far away

It turned out to be a good vote winer for Thatcher anyway and she realized that in the first place

Respected Member
    Thats Gordon Brown to thank for
    I blame thatcher for that because her union reforms went way too far
    Union bashing from the right wing gutter press reached new highs
    Even working class people started to believe that the unions were all bad
    So what have we ended up with........

Many normal workers dont have anyone to fight for their rights

Let me enlighten you a little bit to what is going on in the uk right now

The people who fund the Tory party dont want any unions
    No unions means more profits for the fat cats = lower wages zero workers rights
    Which is why we have ended up with the government giving tax credits to the low paid
    Anyone in employment should not need government hand outs because their wages are so low
    Average boardroom pay has rocketed in the last 10 years while the workers pay on the shop
    floor has remained stagnant

The islanders could have been given the option to move to the uk
    Sending a large task force there was not a great idea and cost the lives of many
    I respect those servicemen who fought in that war but i never agreed with that conflict
    Really how can we claim those islands with them being so far away
    So going by your line of argument if the Germans had invaded this country and taken over we all should have been shipped off to other British land... like The Falklands?

As for distance, I already explained that in an earlier post ... distance in land ownership is irrelevant, otherwise all the Brits who own land abroad should have it taken off them!
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Trusted Member

...and much more important...Hamilton is on pole at Shanghai.

And Red Bull may have been a bit too tight-fisted with fuel

I'm moving to the Falklands

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    So going by your line of argument if the Germans had invaded this country and taken over we all should have been shipped off to other British land... like The Falklands?

As for distance, I already explained that in an earlier post ... distance in land ownership is irrelevant, otherwise all the Brits who own land abroad should have it taken off them!
    According to one official: 'She did not for a moment think that Hong Kong was in any way comparable with the Falklands, despite the paranoia in the Foreign Office. There were many important differences, number one among them being, from her point of view, that if Britain had had to welcome every last islander and every last sheep from the Falkland Islands into Britain, then there would have been no political consequences for the person who had opened the door. If Britain had to accept even a fraction of the population of Hong Kong, it would be political suicide.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...a-1543375.html

as for ownership maybe you should tell the chinese about that, when they claim Twain and Scarborough Shoal

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I'm sure all those 'poor' working class people who were able to buy cheap council properties and are now living in Spain off the equity aren't going to complain .
    Or the Philippines!!

Trusted Member
    There you go ...and people don't believe me.

Respected Member
    I have no ill feelings towards her, but the entire funeral and media frenzy is just ridiculous, blown far out of proportion. The ranting in the streets, the ridiculous social media comments. She's dead, and most of the policies she enforced had already started to be introduced by the previous government, many of them were necessary, but in realistic terms it was because she was so vocal and strong willed that people remember her. Appreciate that she was a Prime Minister and not a President. THE PARTY with her as leader was elected in three consecutive times because democratically people believed what she was doing was right.
    Unions, yes they were out of control, in fact, we still have problems with unions, whereby they are lead by greedy fatcat 'i'm a real socialist' types. Regardless, unions are necessary and when working for commercial shipping lines I was a member and a union rep, and managed to maintain and improve working standards for everyone.
    Anyway, she's dead and thats it, I've got more pressing things to worry about with living people!

The living are the dangerous ones
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    The living are the dangerous ones
    ... NOTABLY, Kim Jong; now there's a real dangerous 'un!

Thread Information