Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Wedding rings in the UK - Best places to look?

Hi all,

First proper question here in the forums!

I'd like to buy my wedding rings here in the UK before heading back to the Phils next year for my marriage. I'm aware that rings are probably cheaper in Manila, but I can't be bothered to worry about trying to figure out whether I'm buying a fake or not (e.g. in Ongpin). (I also looked at some rings in Megamall the last time I was there, but found nothing to my liking and all overpriced.) Fake jewellery makes my fiancee's skin turn dark (trust me on this, I've seen it happen myself, as fake jewelry is the only type she's ever been able to afford), so it would be pretty obvious pretty fast if she found out that I had cheaped out on a fake ring!

Thing is, I'm not a UK citizen, and I've only been living in London for a couple months now, so I have absolutely no idea what normal British people do when buying a ring. One old thread on this forum mentioned the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham. Is this the best place for selection and value? Are there any similar areas in London? And most importantly, are there certain times of the year when big jewellery sales are known to happen? - I'm basically looking for a nice, real ring for as low of a price as possible. Nothing fancy needed for mine, but I know she'd be very happy with a diamond, so I'm willing to get something with a small rock or two in it! - What kind of prices should I expect for simple rings like this in the UK?

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks!

J & G

for anything decent it would i think be From £300 up to £1000

What sort of wedding rings are you looking for.
    Gold -
    - (white, traditional yellow, rose or a mix )
    - 9k 14k 18k 24k (24k is easily mishapen due to it's softness)
    - plain wedding band, or patterned, or with precious stones (diamond etc)

Platinum, Silver, Titanium

What's your budget range?

All gold wedding rings sold in UK will be hall marked.
    Often a good quality second hand wedding ring can represent good value as the design and workmanship values will have depreciated somewhat.

i bought gold and diamond engagement ring here in uk, which i may add Lolita my gf chose , when i got to phils, on comparison she sees that we could have got better quality and value in philippines, so we decided that when it comes to the wedding ring we will buy in philippines,

im with peter on that good quality second hand ring , i think will be better quality and craftmenship than what you can buy these days new

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    i bought gold and diamond engagement ring here in uk, which i may add Lolita my gf chose , when i got to phils, on comparison she sees that we could have got better quality and value in philippines, so we decided that when it comes to the wedding ring we will buy in philippines
    It's interesting you say that Stewart, because that's what my wife told me years ago and actually I've found it to be generally true. Especially with 14k gold.
    I always put it down to the design and workmanship costs but we also found that gold jewelery in Japan was significantly cheaper on an almost like for like basis also.

The price of the raw material is market driven but the costing for other factors must just be down to cheapest labour cost I guess
    Don't know.
    Silver is good value here in UK though

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    It's interesting you say that Stewart, because that's what my wife told me years ago and actually I've found it to be generally true. Especially with 14k gold.
    I always put it down to the design and workmanship costs but we also found that gold jewelery in Japan was significantly cheaper on an almost like for like basis also.

The price of the raw material is market driven but the costing for other factors must just be down to cheapest labour cost I guess
    Don't know.
    Silver is good value here in UK though
    or is it just poor uk workmanship and the genaral rip off britain game

or is it just poor uk workmanship and the genaral rip off britain game
    I've never seen gold hallmarks in Philippines so how could anyone be sure if it was 14k or lets say 11k.
    In Japan they did not have hallmarks but you got a receipt/certificate that stated the gold content according to ISO standards and you could get an appraisal made yourself under the Supplier Liability Laws.

Just asking

I've never seen gold hallmarks in Philippines so how could anyone be sure if it was 14k or lets say 11k.
    In Japan they did not have hallmarks but you got a receipt/certificate that stated the gold content according to ISO standards and you could get an appraisal made yourself under the Supplier Liability Laws.

Just asking
    i guess it all boils down that the value is in making her happy

i guess it all boils down that the value is in making her happy
    Hmmm, great answer that Stewart
    Fair enough

get from tesco's cheap range, she will never know just joking

Quote Originally Posted by J&G View Post
    Hi all,

First proper question here in the forums!

I'd like to buy my wedding rings here in the UK before heading back to the Phils next year for my marriage. I'm aware that rings are probably cheaper in Manila, but I can't be bothered to worry about trying to figure out whether I'm buying a fake or not (e.g. in Ongpin). (I also looked at some rings in Megamall the last time I was there, but found nothing to my liking and all overpriced.) Fake jewellery makes my fiancee's skin turn dark (trust me on this, I've seen it happen myself, as fake jewelry is the only type she's ever been able to afford), so it would be pretty obvious pretty fast if she found out that I had cheaped out on a fake ring!

Thing is, I'm not a UK citizen, and I've only been living in London for a couple months now, so I have absolutely no idea what normal British people do when buying a ring. One old thread on this forum mentioned the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham. Is this the best place for selection and value? Are there any similar areas in London? And most importantly, are there certain times of the year when big jewellery sales are known to happen? - I'm basically looking for a nice, real ring for as low of a price as possible. Nothing fancy needed for mine, but I know she'd be very happy with a diamond, so I'm willing to get something with a small rock or two in it! - What kind of prices should I expect for simple rings like this in the UK?

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks!

J & G
    Hi J & G

Welcome to the forum.

The largest jewellery quarter in London is in Hatton Garden, which is a street and area in the district of Holborn in London Borough of Camden. It is most famous for being London’s jewellery quarter and centre of the UK diamond trade, but the area is also now home to a diverse range of media and creative businesses. However, beware ......my engagement ring from my former marriage was purchased here and an enormous flaw in the diamond was later discovered when it was too late to take it back.

If you are going to shop in any of the jewellery quarters, there will be plenty of choice but just be careful.

Good luck
    Rosie

Thanks for all the advice! Seems as though people are lukewarm at best to UK jewellery vs. Philippine products? Interesting - I figured that the bigger demand in the UK for quality jewellery here would give better value for the price. - That's the argument I previously heard against Manila as a jewellery destination, compared to, say, Hong Kong or Singapore. But I guess high-price markets like these are going have rip-off artists at work anywhere in the world!

Also interesting to not hear any strong need for me to travel to Birmingham? - So I could get the same value stuff in Hatton Garden?

Anyways, I'll definitely take a look around in the coming months - and also won't rule out quality second-hand rings, but, basically, I just need to make sure that the rings I invest in are durable enough to last for 60+ years - perhaps a bit naive, but that's how long I'm hoping to a) stick around and b) be married for! Haha

J & G

,,,,,,,,, I guess high-price markets like these are going have rip-off artists at work anywhere in the world!

Also interesting to not hear any strong need for me to travel to Birmingham? - So I could get the same value stuff in Hatton Garden?

J & G
    You've hit the nail on the head ...... you can be ripped off anywhere in the world, including Birmingham and Hatton Garden. I have experienced it in Hong Kong jewellers and even Singapore at the airport Gucci store. Admittedly, that was for a pair of sunglasses which were swapped under the counter for a fake pair but the very last place I expected that to happen was Singapore, where the penalties for breaking the law are very tough.

J & G

Get yourself down to Tooting (South London)
    Underground to Tooting Bec, then walk south to Tooting Broadway.
    You'll pass at least 30+ Indian/Asian gold shops.
    All rings are hallmarked, and they are sold by weight.
    Also, as they are catering for the Asian/Indian population, the ring sizes are usually of the smaller variety (as opposed to "European" shops)
    No man is an island, but Barry is

Thanks Bluebirdjones - that sounds like a place where good deals could be had! I'll be sure to check it out too

I got mine from the jewelry quarter made our own design. Yellow and white gold unique pattern.

I was lucky to know a real Goldsmith, an old biker buddy of mine, who made our rings from a design I saw in another shop. He just bought the blank ring and then did his work. I only paid for the price of the ring and just a small amount for his work. What I do know is that in the UK, you will see many many rings of all different styles for stupid prices, and then you get told that you are paying for the 'special' design......rubbish!! I think a good idea is to go to Phils via a middle eastern country ie Dubai, where you can see many gold rings and many beautiful designs and you only pay for the weight. But if you want to be sure and have them before you go, then follow the suggestions above.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Banned
    I'd fully endorse the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham - we got engagement & wedding rings there

Which well know jewellery magnet was quoted as saying that some of the his products were "cheaper than an M&S prawn sandwich but probably wouldn't last as long"

Then went on to state, "People say, "How can you sell this for such a low price?", I say, "because it's total crap."

Anyone here remember ??

Banned
    Ratner (Gerald)

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Ratner (Gerald)
    Correct
    What a plonker

Mind you, he spoke the truth

Banned
    Correct
    What a plonker

Mind you, he spoke the truth
    He used to live in the millionaires village of Bray (on the Thames) not far from here but had to sell up - I read somewhere he had a £19000 per month mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    He used to live in the millionaires village of Bray (on the Thames) not far from here but had to sell up - I read somewhere he had a £19000 per month mortgage.
    Crikey, thats a lot of crap he sold........

Wish I could get a mortgage like that

Indeed, I hope to avoid such 'crap' products! Yet am always so pulled by low prices, so this is a purchase that I think I will indeed have trouble with! I must strongly resist my urge to buy the cheapest thing in the store

Indeed, I hope to avoid such 'crap' products! Yet am always so pulled by low prices, so this is a purchase that I think I will indeed have trouble with! I must strongly resist my urge to buy the cheapest thing in the store
    You need to apply some common-sense.
    Often cheap is not cheap, especially with products of a longer life cycle.

So am I right in guessing that you'll be targetting 9k gold?
    Or will you be tempted for less or even unmarked

We purchased our wedding ring in the Philippines 18k saudi gold M Lhuillier Jewellers , Filinverst Alabang (my husband wanted to make sure that we both liked (well, Me ) the design and most importantly that it fitted me well )
    ...my engagement ring vintage (solid gold) from the great grandma of my mother-in-law which I am using as a pendant for my necklace.
    ...If you are looking to buy your wedding ring in the UK , try F.Hinds Jewellers...my husband bought me an 18ct gold diamond half eternity ring on our 2nd year wedding anniversary,... its good value and I am worth to wear it he said.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

I'm not going into the search with any preconceptions on what I want, even so far as whether its gold/silver/platinum - I'd prefer to let the right design jump out at me! I asked my fiancee what she preferred, and she sort-of said gold, but wasn't sure herself. Anyways, our relationship is such that we don't surprise each other with anything, so I'll probably just take a picture of the ring I want to buy and ask her if she likes it before I actually do buy it! - Problem is though that our personal style tastes on most things are total polar opposites! A piece of clothing that I think looks great on her, she'll inevitably hate, and vice versa, so I expect something similar to happen with this ring! Haha

Thanks also for another jeweller suggestion - I'll be sure to check them out!

J & G
    ---
    J & G - On our quest for unification in the UK
    Bakit mahal naman palagi ang mahal ko?

I just took gold to phils and employed a professional to make us our own unique rings,some of the best workmanship in the world.

Respected Member vernier caliper's Avatar
    If you have friends over Middle East you can ask them to buy rings on your behalf. Gold quality is superb at affordable price. Visit atleast 3 jewelry shops here in the UK to secure your correct ring size. Appended is our custom made rings from Dubai : 26g, 18k. I will not recommend 21k, 22k or 24k, they are soft!
    image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by vernier caliper View Post
    If you have friends over Middle East you can ask them to buy rings on your behalf. Gold quality is superb at affordable price. Visit atleast 3 jewelry shops here in the UK to secure your correct ring size. Appended is our custom made rings from Dubai : 26g, 18k. I will not recommend 21k, 22k or 24k, they are soft!
    Very nice! Time for me to find some friends in Dubai, haha

Are you willing to give any indication of how much those three cost? No need for the exact figure, but just wondering if something like that is hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands!

J & G
    ---
    J & G - On our quest for unification in the UK
    Bakit mahal naman palagi ang mahal ko?

Thread Information