Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gathering Documents for Spouse VISA

Hello guys,

I'm trying to put together an in-order list of things that me and/or my wife will need to do before she can apply for the VISA.

Does this sequence make sense?

1) First she wants to renew her passport and use my surname, so as I understand it, she will first need to attend the CFO seminar and obtain the 'Guidance and Counseling Certificate'.
    2) She submits the GCC along with the marriage contract/certificate from the NSO, birth certificate and any other supporting documents (with the relevant photocopies) to apply for her new passport.
    3) After obtaining the passport she will need to make an appointment to attend the clinic in Manila to take the TB test. After taking the test she will be issued with a certificate that is valid for 6 months.
    4) At this point, she can begin to complete the spouse VISA application form. In parallel with (1) to (3) I will have obtained and prepared supporting documents as the sponsor pertaining to accommodation, i.e. housing inspection reports, a letter from council, my covering letter etc.
    5) When she is ready or nearing to submit the application I will gather the last 6 months worth or more of payslips, bank statements, letters from my employer confirming salary and contract and up to date statements issued by my bank covering the same period. I will then DHL/FedEx all of my documents to her so that she can submit the application.

Any thoughts on the above? Is there anything (especially on my wife's side) that I need to consider?

Thanks

Chris

Respected Member
    I can't comment on point 5 as I am self employed, nor on point 3).

Whilst she needs the GCC for her passport application, she will need to go back to the seminar center once a visa has been issued so a CFO sticker can be put in her passport.

The counselling centre require the NSO marriage certificate. Make sure she knows where she is going.... if she arrives after 9am it will be too late and she will go back another day.

How does she meet the English requirement & do you have documents so show evidence of a 'genuine and subsisting relationship'? (photos, chat logs, emails etc.)

For passport renewal, probably best to pay a bit extra and get it fast tracked with courier service.

Thanks for the input Moving Forward.

Yes, once she has her visa and it is valid she will return to the counseling centre to obtain the CFO sticker.

She meets the English requirements as she already has a score report for an approved test at an appropriate level. However, when it is submitted with the application for the visa, the name on the score report will be her maiden name and not the name in her new passport. Would you suspect this to be a problem?

As far as evidence of a 'genuine and subsisting relationship', we have cards and letters we have exchanged, general photos together, wedding photos with her family, photos with my parents and work colleagues, honeymoon photos, chat logs etc.

We are looking to submit the application as soon as we can, simply because we cannot stand to be apart, but I have heard that sometimes this can make the UKBA suspicious, so I'm a little concerned about that I really hope from all of the above they can see that we are genuine and simply want to be together as soon as we can.

Respected Member
    I can't see her maiden name on the English certificate being a problem. Just clarify this in a supporting letter or in the final section of the application form where you have an opportunity to add any relevant info. Her birth certificate shows evidence of her maiden name.

Some English certificates are only accepted if they are submitted less than 2 years from when the test was taken (such as IELTS).

If it's a genuine relationship and you can show that (which you can) I would not hold off applying - the way the rules keep changing best to do it sooner rather than later if you meet all the criteria.

Every case is different. Be sure to ask for advice but also question the advice you are getting if it's not direct from the source.

Be sure to check the official websites for all the documents required... not just the UKBA site for the visa, but also the CFO site for the seminar and the DFA for the passport. Compliment that info with advice you get from here and other sources. But use the official sites as your main source.

There can be so much hearsay with this process. It is also easy to over think things. My wife is currently overthinking her spouse visa application which we submitted late Feb. It's out of my hands now, I have done the best I can, so I am just quietly waiting.

Thanks again Moving Forward.

I think you're right, it's very easy to over think the whole application process, escpecially if you're a 'worrier' like myself!

My wife has an English test report that she obtained just last year and it has a validity of 2 years, so hopefully that should be OK.

The other point of concern I have is this statement on the UKBA website relating to payment of the visa fees:

You must pay your visa application fee online, in US dollars, either a Visa card or MasterCard. In addition to credit cards, a debit card or pre-paid card bearing the Visa or MasterCard logos are also accepted. Other methods of payment will not be accepted.
    When my wife comes to submit the application online, is it acceptable that I use my debit card to pay the fee for her? She doesn't have a debit or credit card to make the payment herself

(I'll keep my finger's crossed for you and your wife that she gets her visa soon Moving Forward )

Respected Member
    Thanks.

Yes it is fine if you use your debit card to pay the fee that's what we did.

When she applies online, she will create an account on the VFS Global application site. She can save the progress of a partially completed application form and come back and finish it if more time is needed to get info.

I recently flew out there to help my wife with the application. I filled out the details for her and paid the fee. We then printed out the form, she checked it and signed it, making it her application.

Remember to fill in the Appendix 2 form also (when you start the application process online, the site will also remind you to complete this form).

Thanks Moving Forward.

So is the online application form simply the electronic equivalent of the VAF4A? There's no online submission of Appendix 2 required?

Is it possible (or even allowed) for me to help my wife in completing the form by logging in for her from the UK? I only ask as my wife would feel much more comfortable if I handled the application process on her behalf, but I could understand why doing so from the UK for an external application may be forbidden. Unfortunately I can not be there with her when she applies online. Is the online form relatively straightforward?

Respected Member
    Yes the online application form is the electronic equivalent of VAF4A. It is straight forward. If there is information you need to go away and find (e.g.details of her parents) you can save your progress, sign in later and continue the application.

This application form is not actually submitted online. After it has been completed and once payment has been made, it is printed off for the applicant to sign and bring along to their appointment. The printed application form contains a payment reference number. So the form provides evidence that payment has been made (and it can't be printed until payment has been made).

There is no online submission of Appendix 2. Once VAF4A has been completed there should be a link to a pdf (I think) of Appendix 2, which again you print off and the applicant signs.

I completed the form VAF4A for my wife by logging into her account. Once printed off she signed it making it her application.

If you complete it remotely for her, after completing it and making payment, save the application as a .pdf file and send it to her to print out and sign, or she can login herself and print it out. I have a saved PDF of our application form. Before making payment, obviously ask her to log in and check all the details on the form. After payment is made I am not sure if you can change details and print it off again

To reiterate, make sure Appendix 2 gets completed (by hand).

Ah I see... Thanks, I understand now

I will complete it from the UK on her behalf and get her to check it all before finalising it as it will be much easier for her that way.

I'm currently trying to contact the CFO offices in Manila to get an idea of what documents my wife will need to take with her apart from the marriage certificate from the NSO and her ID (current passport and voters ID may suffice, but they have not confirmed this yet). Their website also states to bring "other documents as may be required by the counselors"
    , though there is no elaboration or examples as to what this should include. I have also heard from other posts on this forum that UK bound spouses are to attend only on Thursdays, yet the website refers to European destinations and not specifically the UK as running from Monday to Friday.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissy_uk View Post
    I have also heard from other posts on this forum that UK bound spouses are to attend only on Thursdays, yet the website refers to European destinations and not specifically the UK as running from Monday to Friday.
    This is an example of the hearsay I was referring to earlier. Checking the official source first, http://www.cfo.gov.ph/index.php?opti...emid=833#First shows that yes, it is from Monday to Friday (9am to 12pm).

So we can say with confidence that it is from Monday to Friday; this tallies with the time my UK bound wife attended which was on a Tuesday morning.

The site also lists the pertinent documents required at the bottom of the page.

Scroll up a bit from that link and you will get the list of documents required for registration AND attendence of the counselling seminar.

It is possible to attend the seminar first, then go back with the docs required for registration which includes the visa, so you can get a sticker put in her passport.

My wife is doing this. She has attended the guidance and counseling program and will go back with the docs required for registration when she gets her visa.

A couple of points: they will only accept an NSO authenicated marriage certificate on security paper, I think she will need the address of where she will be staying in the UK when she fills out the form. To avoid stress, arrive early so she can find the place, and have time to fill out any forms. The doors shut at 9am when the seminar begins. It's first come first served each day, but there should be a place on the day she goes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DOCUMENTS
    Requirements for Attendance to Guidance and Counseling Program

Two (2) valid identification cards (IDs) with photograph;
    Duly completed guidance and counseling form;
    If married, original and photocopy of marriage contract on security paper from the National Statistics Office, or Local Civil Registry Offices; or original and photocopy of marriage contract duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy/ Consulate (if married abroad)
    Other documents as may be required by the counselors; and
    Payment of P400.00 counseling fee.

TOP of page

Requirements for Registration

Original and photocopy of Passport;
    Original and photocopy of visa
    Original and photocopy of Immigrant Data Summary for US-bound emigrants (except for K visa holders);
    Original and photocopy of Confirmation of Permanent Residence for Canada-bound emigrants;
    Original and photocopy of Certification of Eligibility for Japan-bound emigrants;
    Original CFO guidance and counseling certificate;
    Duly completed emigrant registration form; and
    Payment of the authorized registration fee.

Some good info there.

Thanks, this is very helpful!

My wife will be renewing her passport following attendance of the seminar, so she will also be returning to the CFO office to get her sticker after her visa has been issued. From what other members have said, the sticker will only be given once the validity period of the visa begins.

I will make sure my wife has all of my details when she attends the seminar and be on hand over the phone if she needs to ask me anything else.

Respected Member
    My wife will be renewing her passport following attendance of the seminar.
    My wife was in a similar position. She attended the seminar first, before renewing her passport in her new name.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you both.

Quote Originally Posted by Moving Forward View Post
    My wife was in a similar position. She attended the seminar first, before renewing her passport in her new name.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you both.
    Thanks Moving Forward.

My wife has attended the seminar and is now waiting for her passport to be issued.

After she has the passport and takes the TB test, we will almost be in a position to start completing the forms.

The bit I'm still not sure on is the timing between getting the form completed, sending my documents and making the appointment to submit everything.

Do you know how long it could take to get an appointment once everything is ready?

My understanding is that the latest payslips and bank statements I provide must have been issued within the 28 days prior to submitting the application. This is a little awkward because in my case if I wait until I have payslips and bank statements that are in line with one another, the last payslip will have been issued almost 20 days prior to the corresponding bank statement. This is a little tighter than I would like as DHL will likely take another 3 - 4 days.

Any thoughts on how best to time the submission would be appreciated!

Respected Member
    My best advice would be to create a fake appointment using the VFS online booking system to find out when the next available appointments are.

Then delete this appointment.

https://www.vfs.firm.in/pl-apptsystem/appscheduling/

When I last looked I could say with some confidence that I would have an appointment within 10 days. Best for you to look at the available appointments first then try and schedule your application.

You could always book your appointment in advance before you apply online.

DHL Express only took 24 hours for me, your mileage may vary.

Respected Member
    Also, there maybe some leeway with current bank statements - the entry clearance officer, at their discretion may request further bank statements once the application has been made. Going from comments I have read on this forum, it's not that uncommon for applicants to be asked to provide the latest bank statement within a reasonable time after applying. However, its perhaps not the best way to apply so like you I would be wanting to provide all the documents in one go.

Also, there maybe some leeway with current bank statements - the entry clearance officer, at their discretion may request further bank statements once the application has been made. Going from comments I have read on this forum, it's not that uncommon for applicants to be asked to provide the latest bank statement within a reasonable time after applying. However, its perhaps not the best way to apply so like you I would be wanting to provide all the documents in one go.
    Not recommended.
    The risks are too high.

Many if's and but's for the caseworker to satisfy before discretion may be used.

My best advice would be to create a fake appointment using the VFS online booking system to find out when the next available appointments are.

Then delete this appointment.

https://www.vfs.firm.in/pl-apptsystem/appscheduling/

When I last looked I could say with some confidence that I would have an appointment within 10 days. Best for you to look at the available appointments first then try and schedule your application.

You could always book your appointment in advance before you apply online.

DHL Express only took 24 hours for me, your mileage may vary.
    Thanks for the info

I had a quick initial look on the appointment booking website and it appears I need to select a visa category. There is nothing in the list specifically for a spouse visa, so I assume I would need to choose "Other Visa Category"? Do you know what the "Prime Time Appointment" refers to?

On another matter regarding the paperwork my wife needs to submit, I am aware she will need the TB test result from the approved clinic, but is it necessary that she also takes a general medical exam for the spouse visa application? I understand that in other categories of visa application this is necessary, but I cannot find any information that states she needs this for the spouse visa application. If she does need this, which clinics are approved by the UKBA for this purpose?

...I had a quick initial look on the appointment booking website and it appears I need to select a visa category. There is nothing in the list specifically for a spouse visa, so I assume I would need to choose "Other Visa Category"?.....
    If you look at the drop-down menu's you'll find:-
    Type of Visa - Choose Settlement
    Purpose - Choose Settlement
    Type of Application - Choose Wife

... is it necessary that she also takes a general medical exam for the spouse visa application?...
    There's no UKBA requirement for a general medical.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    If you look at the drop-down menu's you'll find:-
    Type of Visa - Choose Settlement
    Purpose - Choose Settlement
    Type of Application - Choose Wife

There's no UKBA requirement for a general medical.
    Thanks for the info Terpe.

I clicked the link Moving Forward provided in his previous post above (https://www.vfs.firm.in/pl-apptsystem/appscheduling/), but I didn't see the options you listed on the "Schedule Appointment" page - am I looking at the wrong page?

Respected Member
    No it's the right page. But the option Terpe mentioned isn't listed.

You need to select the first option, Other Visa Category. I know this is the correct category to select as I had the same question and asked VFS to confirm the right category I should select prior to applying.

Prime time appointments are appointments which can be chosen usually at shorter notice and can include Saturdays (paid). For the purpose of a partner visa application I do not think you can make a prime time appointment although for most of the other visa categories you can.

Respected Member
    Dear Mr *******

Thank you for your email.

If your wife is applying for a ‘Settlement Visa’, she should choose ‘Other Visa Category’ option.

Please be informed that starting December 19, 2012 and onwards, all visa application fees must be paid online. Please be aware that the online visa fee payment is valid for 3 months and 7 days.

Other methods of payment will not be accepted from this date.

If the visa application form was submitted online before December 19, 2012, we can still accept the payment in Manager's Cheque.

However, if the visa application form was submitted online on December 19, 2012 and afterwards, the payment should be done online.

Applicants may use the credit card or debit card of their families or relatives, provided it is with the consent of the account holder. Only VisaCard or Mastercard are acceptable.

International accounts are still accepted as long as these are either Visa card or MasterCard (Credit or Debit cards). The system will automatically deduct the payment from the card the amount of the visa application fee equivalent to the currency of the account. Therefore, there is no need to convert the account to US Dollar.

If the online payment is successful, it will be indicated on the visa application form that the payment has been made.

For more information, please visit our website: www.vfs-uk-ph.com or the UKBA website at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/

Best regards,

----------

VFS Helpline

Thanks for confirming Moving Forward.

I take it your wife didn't need to include any general medical exam result with the application as Terpe says?

Also having looked at the VFS appointment booking form, it looks as though I need to provide a GWF reference number, which apparently I only obtain after finalising the online application.

Respected Member
    A general medical exam is not required, although a TB test is.

If you are just trying to get an idea of the available appointment times at the moment, you can make up a reference number for this bogus appointment, then delete that appointment once you can see what the current waiting times are.

Obviously, when booking a real appointment, use valid details and don't delete the booking afterwards!

Thanks for the info Terpe.

I clicked the link Moving Forward provided in his previous post above (https://www.vfs.firm.in/pl-apptsystem/appscheduling/), but I didn't see the options you listed on the "Schedule Appointment" page - am I looking at the wrong page?
    No, I simply misunderstood

A general medical exam is not required, although a TB test is.

If you are just trying to get an idea of the available appointment times at the moment, you can make up a reference number for this bogus appointment, then delete that appointment once you can see what the current waiting times are.

Obviously, when booking a real appointment, use valid details and don't delete the booking afterwards!
    Thanks for confirming.

I had another go with the booking website. Managed to see the appointment calendars without actually submitting anything or choosing a date, so avoided making any appointment for now. It seems that at the moment they have free slots from three days in from the current date, though I suspect this will vary somewhat depending on the time of year.

Respected Member
    Ok, 3 days that's good. Which month do you think you will be applying?

Ok, 3 days that's good. Which month do you think you will be applying?
    Hopefully end of next month, but can't really finalise the date until I have all of my documents.

I wonder, is there any reason I couldn't start helping my wife fill out most of the online form now and simply save it online until we are ready to submit it? Just thinking it may save a little bit of time later on.

Respected Member
    Myself, I would probably start filling in the form within a week of submitting. It doesnt take that long to do if you have the relevant information to hand.

Thanks for the input

Just looking in Appendix FM-SE on the UKBA website it states:

Where this Appendix requires the applicant to provide specified evidence relating to a period which ends with the date of application, that evidence, or the most recently dated part of it, must be dated no earlier than 28 days before the date of application
    Does the "date of application" refer to the date of payment or the date of submission of the actual forms and supporting documents at VFS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information