Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Family in the UK sent me a second hand fly mow from the UK which I used for 2 years on the local supply.. Works fine but dont use it anymore since they sent me a 4 stroke machine..
    I`d recommend anyone coming over with a lot of grass to cut to put one of these (quality second hand) in a BB box as they are expensive here.
    your electric fly mow worked ok i see,
    i am wanting to send a hover mower over, but i see they all seem to be 50Hz so im not sure if it will be ok,might burn out, or perhaps not so , maybe at worst a shorter motor life,
    what you think?

Trusted Member

That's something I meant to mention. Pack your mower and STRIMMER.

I'm sure they'll work fine. All my electrical stuff did.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post

That's something I meant to mention. Pack your mower and STRIMMER.

I'm sure they'll work fine. All my electrical stuff did.
    my old hover has just about seen its day,its over 10 yr old now , they are good hardy tools, thinking to pack a new one,just cut grass with it once or twice here then its second hand

Trusted Member
    I think you'll find it worthwhile Stewart, if you've space. I certainly regretted not taking my little strimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    your electric fly mow worked ok i see,
    i am wanting to send a hover mower over, but i see they all seem to be 50Hz so im not sure if it will be ok,might burn out, or perhaps not so , maybe at worst a shorter motor life,
    what you think?
    Sorry.. I meant a hover mower with a grass collector.. Mine works here fine.. Not sure about the Hz but not effected the motor on ours.
    I`d still rather send a 4 stroke petrol engine though.. No problems with 100 meter extension leads!!

Sorry.. I meant a hover mower with a grass collector.. Mine works here fine.. Not sure about the Hz but not effected the motor on ours.
    I`d still rather send a 4 stroke petrol engine though.. No problems with 100 meter extension leads!!
    more expensive though, i like the electric hover mower, keeps going and nothing really that needs maintaining,

just as long as it fits in a jumbo box , il be happy

Local electrics ?...well, scary
    Now there's a shock ... ...

... i like the electric hover mower, keeps going and nothing really that needs maintaining,
    ... be CAREFUL, Stewart!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Now there's a shock ... ...

... be CAREFUL, Stewart!
    i know, sneaky stuff is electric, cant see it , but you know when it gets you, had a few rounds before with it, like being punched full on by cassius clay,

Trusted Member
    Just buy or take with you a circuit breaker for your mower, power tools etc.

Just buy or take with you a circuit breaker for your mower, power tools etc.
    yes thats a good idea, already was thinking ,13 amp extension leads i have with multi sockets on, just change plug to the 2 pin, and take some 13amp plus, fuses etc,

i made lolitas electrics safer while i was there, was too many extensions off one lead, so part re-wired it to be safe, i couldnt find anything like a fuse box in the house, just the main box , really dodgy connections in there if you can call wires twisted together and taped

Trusted Member
    Yes, I took loads of extension leads and other electrical bits and bobs, as the local stuff is .

Don't forget some spare fuses.

i dont know what the laws are there for diy electrics, but id like to put an earth rod in and earth the electrics, and wire things up my way, a safe way,

yes a selection of fuses

voltage regulator im guessing id need buy there so its compatible

Trusted Member
    My best mate out in the Phils was an electrical engineer (ex officer in REME).

The obscenties I used to hear him coming out with when sorting out the local electrics in his house.

This was a guy who supervised the installation of all the runway lighting on Hong Kong airport...so knew his stuff.

My best mate out in the Phils was an electrical engineer (ex officer in REME).

The obscenties I used to hear him coming out with when sorting out the local electrics in his house.

This was a guy who supervised the installation of all the runway lighting on Hong Kong airport...so knew his stuff.
    im pretty good on domestic electrics, its not much different to plumbing a heating system in really, except you cant see it

Trusted Member
    Yes, except the 'water' in the 'pipes' is trying to get out and kill you.

Yes, except the 'water' in the 'pipes' is trying to get out and kill you.
    and the two don't mix very well

i dont know what the laws are there for diy electrics, but id like to put an earth rod in and earth the electrics, and wire things up my way, a safe way,
    Not really any laws on DIY electrics

Do it your way as it will probably be safer

Years ago we had an electric shower fitted and my wife refused to use it as she had seen a story on TV about some actress that had been electrocuted in Boracay. Took me quite a while to convince her that the earth rod had a purpose.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Yes Stewart make sure you Earth the property, no health and safety in Philippines!

im pretty good on domestic electrics, its not much different to plumbing a heating system in really, except you cant see it
    Contrary to popular belief domestic electrics is NOT always simple and is certainly more involved than plumbing IF DONE PROPERLY. ALL electrical circuits domestic or otherwise should be designed that in the event of a fault the circuit is automatically disconnected in a prescribed time laid down in BS7671 IEE wiring regulations. Choice of the correct size cables and circuit protection depending on the length of cable runs and environmental conditions is crucial to achieving disconnection times that will give you a safe installation. The maximum current a cable can take will change according to the environment its in, so somewhere like the Philippines where the ambient temperature is higher would also affect the cable sizes needed to achieve safe disconnection times as does the type of insulation or whatever surrounding the cables.
    Design of any electrical system will need to start with determining the nature of the supply in to the house.

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    Contrary to popular belief domestic electrics is NOT always simple and is certainly more involved than plumbing IF DONE PROPERLY. ALL electrical circuits domestic or otherwise should be designed that in the event of a fault the circuit is automatically disconnected in a prescribed time laid down in BS7671 IEE wiring regulations. Choice of the correct size cables and circuit protection depending on the length of cable runs and environmental conditions is crucial to achieving disconnection times that will give you a safe installation. The maximum current a cable can take will change according to the environment its in, so somewhere like the Philippines where the ambient temperature is higher would also affect the cable sizes needed to achieve safe disconnection times as does the type of insulation or whatever surrounding the cables.
    Design of any electrical system will need to start with determining the nature of the supply in to the house.
    i use the term not much different loosley , there are similarities,evironment, size of pipes to deliver correct rate of water flow,at differnt length runs and so on, return pipes ect,

loose connections cause fire, loose plumbing fittings cause leaks

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Not really any laws on DIY electrics

Do it your way as it will probably be safer

Years ago we had an electric shower fitted and my wife refused to use it as she had seen a story on TV about some actress that had been electrocuted in Boracay. Took me quite a while to convince her that the earth rod had a purpose.
    Absolutely no point in an earth rod if the transformer supplying the property is not also earthed on the consumers side of the transformer. Thats why i said previously that the design of any electrical installation should start with determining the nature of the supply. Earth is a very poor conductor of electricity and probably worse in the Philippines when the ground is dry. That is one reason why the earth is supplied in the incoming cable to most properties in the UK except mainly rural locations .

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    Absolutely no point in an earth rod if the transformer supplying the property is not also earthed on the consumers side of the transformer. Thats why i said previously that the design of any electrical installation should start with determining the nature of the supply. Earth is a very poor conductor of electricity and probably worse in the Philippines when the ground is dry. That is one reason why the earth is supplied in the incoming cable to most properties in the UK except mainly rural locations .

After listening to your advice i decided to go and check our electrical installations.

At the bottom of the meter there is a copper wire that runs to the ground at the base of the pole. It then connects to rebar. I presume this is the first ground. There is also a copper wire that runs from the fuse box to the ground and is connected to the cold water pipe.

Sound correct? Or am i in for a nasty shock one day

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post

After listening to your advice i decided to go and check our electrical installations.

At the bottom of the meter there is a copper wire that runs to the ground at the base of the pole. It then connects to rebar. I presume this is the first ground. There is also a copper wire that runs from the fuse box to the ground and is connected to the cold water pipe.

Sound correct? Or am i in for a nasty shock one day
    The electrician told me that the main post is grounded.. We have our earth rod near a drainage ditch where its constantly wet.. Some say best place for it is in the septic tank!
    Only use our earth for things like the washing machine and electric oven.. An earth is no good if your appliance only has two wires on a two pinned plug!

Only use our earth for things like the washing machine and electric oven.. An earth is no good if your appliance only has two wires on a two pinned plug!
    There are 3 wires on the electric shower which connects to the 3rd earth wire which comes from the fuse box.

No bucket for me!

for appliances with earth wire, are 3 pin sockets available there, or do you run a seperate earth wire

Buy PVR's when you get here,1,500 watts for your aircon, 1000 watts is good for a large chest freezer and a large ref, 500 watts is ok for your PC.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    Buy PVR's when you get here,1,500 watts for your aircon, 1000 watts is good for a large chest freezer and a large ref, 500 watts is ok for your PC.
    pvr is voltage regulator ?

Trusted Member
    To be fair though, how many times do you hear of people being electrocuted in the Phils ?
    Normally the house just catches fire and burns down.

Trusted Member
    pvr is voltage regulator ?
    As I understand it...yes. Protect your appliances (especially PCs) from spikes and uneven power supply. Readily available in the Phils.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information