Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Modern British Cuisine

Ok im branching out to evolve my culinary endevours, This is one of my favorite dishes at the moment, quick easy unfussy and very tasty.

Would anyone like to share their favorite british type cuisine that we could try out ?.....my husband has already suggested beans on toast and fish and chips (from the chippy)..not quite what I ment Dave, ( I do wish he would learn to be quiet)

Rump of lamb , mashed potato fritter and spinach
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Very nice but I think you will find that british cuisine nowadays is curry.

rabbit stew, yum yum

Respected Member
    I just did toad in the hole, with brocoli, mashed swede & potato and onion gravy. It was fantastic!

im inclined to agree with andy good old british cuisine indian curry, my fav chicken madrass

Nothing like a good old English fry-up, Roast Beef & Yorkshire Pudding, Chicken Tikka Masala and Gammon & Pineapple.

Separate of course.

what about eggy bread , and a gollop of heinz tomato sauce on top

Prefer fried bread with none of that red stuff.

Jamesey has nearly got it...............

Try traditional Bangers and Mash with homemade onion gravy

Sausages these days can be as exotic and tasty as you want. From free range Gloucester Old Spot, to Wild Boar, to Buffalo to Venision, Beef and any mix between. Add herbs, spices or chillies as you wish
    Plenty of butchers (or farmers markets) have wonderful 'home-made' recipes made with top quality ingredients. Some will make a batch to your own recipe.

The mash. Well, this can vary from just plain potatoes right through the range to a goumet mix of potato, sweet potato and Kabocha. The imagination is your only constraint. Here again spices, chillies and mustards may be added to give the extra depth.

The 'sauce' or gravy is as fully flexible as the main 'players'.
    Tradition dictates an onion base, but the variety of onions and method of cooking is down to the chef's magic.
    Personally I prefer Shallots to onions just because of the extra sweetness and the ability to take on the flavours of herbs and spices etc.
    Make it thick or make it thin. Try adding some roasted garlic or maybe some Cajun seasoning.
    Substitue water with milk or cream. Use vegetable base, chicken or beef as you like.
    Just be sure it's the crowing glory.

Would anyone like to share their favorite british type cuisine that we could try out??
    aahh at the moment- still learning to cook, not yet successful
    But I can tell you, what I love here in the UK is apple cramble.. I can eat it everyday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by han View Post
    But I can tell you, what I love here in the UK is apple cramble.. I can eat it everyday!!!
    is that apple cramble, crumble by any chance

Quote Originally Posted by han View Post
    Try it with apple and blackberries. Divine.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Rhubarb crumble, very nice!

is that apple cramble, crumble by any chance
    ooppsss... I beg your pardon- for my spelling.

Try it with apple and blackberries. Divine.
    Rhubarb crumble, very nice!

Pie mash & liqour good old london food
    Jellied eels

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

tripe , mustard and malt vinegar

steamed pork pie and mushy peas

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Used to enjoy tripe and onions with mashed potatoes, always enjoy sunday roast, don't mind if it's beef, lamb, pork, or turkey/chicken also really miss rabbit stew or pie!

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Jamesey has nearly got it...............

Try traditional Bangers and Mash with homemade onion gravy

Sausages these days can be as exotic and tasty as you want. From free range Gloucester Old Spot, to Wild Boar, to Buffalo to Venision, Beef and any mix between. Add herbs, spices or chillies as you wish
    Plenty of butchers (or farmers markets) have wonderful 'home-made' recipes made with top quality ingredients. Some will make a batch to your own recipe.

The mash. Well, this can vary from just plain potatoes right through the range to a goumet mix of potato, sweet potato and Kabocha. The imagination is your only constraint. Here again spices, chillies and mustards may be added to give the extra depth.

The 'sauce' or gravy is as fully flexible as the main 'players'.
    Tradition dictates an onion base, but the variety of onions and method of cooking is down to the chef's magic.
    Personally I prefer Shallots to onions just because of the extra sweetness and the ability to take on the flavours of herbs and spices etc.
    Make it thick or make it thin. Try adding some roasted garlic or maybe some Cajun seasoning.
    Substitue water with milk or cream. Use vegetable base, chicken or beef as you like.
    Just be sure it's the crowing glory.
    Woowww, i better try this recipe
    I love the idea of sweet potato , kabocha and caramelized red onion gravy

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    rabbit stew, yum yum
    i dont think i can cook and eat rabbit

You can't have a thread about British food and not include Fish and Chips.

Some folks can enjoy the take-out from the local fish and chip shop, others might prefer home made.

What a delight it is to tuck into a plate of home-made and home cooked Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas.

The simplicity can be raised to whatever level you want limited only by your imagination (and cooking capability)

Plenty of ways to cook chips:- shape, thin, thick, skins on or off and importantly cooking method. Even more importantly is what 'oil' you cook the chips in. Some folks (like me) say beef dripping is best
    I also like to prepare by the re-fry method. Means frying the chips 2 or 3 short times with increased temp each time.
    If you don't like the idea of frying chips you could always consider oven cooking.

Put the chips into a large saucepan of water, bring to the boil then turn down and simmer for 3-4 mins.
    Drain and spread onto a clean tea towel.
    Carefully pat them dry and allow to cool
    Add just a tablespoon of rapeseed oil (or olice oil) in a shallow Non-Stick roasting tray and put in a hot oven (220C) for 10 minutes
    Transfer the chips to a bowl, add a tablespoon of rapeseed oil (or olice oil) and mix well by hand.
    Tip out into a single layer on the hot roasting tin. Bake for 10 mins, then turn them over and bake for another 5 more mins, then turn again and bake for
    a final 5-8 mins until crisp. Drain on kitchen roll.

Sometimes I'll use my Actifry with beef dripping.

When it comes to mushy peas I prefer to use frozen garden peas.
    Just heat the peas as normal (microwave is best). Drain them, put into a bowl, then lightly crush with the back of a fork. Mix in some olive oil, lemon juice and freshly grated pepper, mix with some chopped fresh mint. Then cover and set aside for a quick short re-heat in the microwave.

Mushy peas are easy to make but do take some time a forward planning to make properly from scratch
    Soak the dried peas in a large bowl of water, you'll need about 3 times their volume of water (with a little bicarbonate of soda) and they'll need a good soak for at least four hours or better still overnight.
    Drain and rinse well then add to a large saucepan, cover with the water, bring to the boilthen turn down and simmer with the lid on for a couple of hours giving a good stir from time to time.
    The peas need to be soft and mushy but not too dry. If they're still too wet just continue cooking without a lid to dry out a little.
    Beat in a little butter and season with sea salt and fresh black pepper. Add additional flavour to you own taste if you want.
    If you like experimenting try forming the peas into a ball (tennis ball size) coat in your batter a fry off until the batter is crips. (mushy pea fritter)

Or just buy a tin of mushy peas from your local supermarket and bung it in the microwave.

The batter you use is going to make a big impact.
    It's really worthwhile to take some time on the type, flavour and texture of your batter.

If you're a real traditionalist that's fine continue with what you like.
    If you like to experiment a little why consider something a little more exotic like beer and dill, gin and tonic or vodka and tonic whatever tickles your taste buds
    As your base prepare a well comined mix of 15g yeast, a pinch of salt and good pinch of caster sugar in a bowl.

Add 200ml of the liquid of your choice (200ml Beer, 200ml Gin and tonic, 200ml Vodka and tonic etc) into the yeasty mix and whisk in 200g plain flour and a teaspoon of cider vinegar.
    Leave to the mixture to ferment.(It's ready when the mixture starts to bubble.) When nicely bubbling, add any 'extras' (like a little dill for the beer) and stir well.

These days it's quite easy to find a pre-mix Tempura batter.
    But, if you want to try making your own Tempura batter just mix together an egg, 50g plain flour, 50g cornflour a pinch salt and about 200ml sparkling water.(Make sure the sparkling water is very very cold) whisk well until the mixture forms a thick, smooth batter.
    You really need to make the batter just before frying. It doesn't work well to prepare ahead of time.

The fish you use is really up to your own choice.
    Personally, I like to quickly fry the naked fish for a couple of minutes before giving it a good dipping in the batter mix, then re-fry again for a couple of minutes.
    It really keeps the batter crispy light, crispy and tasty without absorbing too much fat or getting soggy.

Hmmmm Fish'n Chips with mushy peas

Ok to carry on with my theme i've gone for the really traditional fish'n'chips.. homemade style.
    The fish is seabass a break from the normal cod as i feel it has more taste and carries the flavour of the batter better as it isnt so buttery, my batter was made with a splash of Boddingtons best (cant beat a bit of boddy in yer batter) Mmmm delish...I used garden peas cuz mushy peas are too mushy ...scary !!!
    chips just sliced french fry style, settled in cold water before frying..job done

As a filipina , I am not used to putting batter on my fish but whatever makes my husband happy

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    rabbit stew, yum yum
    I cook rabbit for my kids quite often. I also feed them chicken liver either in a salad or as a risotto.

My filipina squeeze regards my rabbit-eating as distasteful. Apparently they are pets!

Different strokes, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    Ok to carry on with my theme i've gone for the really traditional fish'n'chips.. homemade style.
    The fish is seabass a break from the normal cod as i feel it has more taste and carries the flavour of the batter better as it isnt so buttery, my batter was made with a splash of Boddingtons best (cant beat a bit of boddy in yer batter) Mmmm delish...I used garden peas cuz mushy peas are too mushy ...scary !!!
    chips just sliced french fry style, settled in cold water before frying..job done

My husband was happy,,makes a change!!
    Sounds yummy, I'd be happy too

I know what you mean about Cod, you really need very fresh good quality Cod and that's not easy to find, apart from being eye-wateringly expensive.
    Sars have you tried Sea Bream? it's about the same price as Sea Bass, but very tasty. I actually prefer Sea Bream.
    If you've never tried it give it a chance. Needs to be fresh though.

My wife loves Fish 'n Chips and Mushy peas

Rabbit is simply delicious - miles better than chicken. When we lived in Aberdeenshire the local gamekeeper would often bring rabbits for me to paunch, skin and joint for the kids to eat. The weans were always fascinated to examine heart, lungs, liver etc and I was happy that they knew the connection betweem animals in the wild and the food on their plate.

Even better than rabbit is Hare. Not so common but lean, dark and such sweet and tender meat if properly cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Very nice but I think you will find that british cuisine nowadays is curry.
    Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    good old british cuisine curry,
    So I've been told that curry is now a traditional British dish, So here's my homemade chicken curry, Of course I used pilau rice and made my own curry sauce with onion, green chillies, garlic, ginger, chillie powder, garam masala ,tumeric, a little sugar , tomato puree , and fresh tomatoes thinly sliced, put them all in the food processor to make the sauce smooth add a little yogurt to make the sauce light and pour the sauce over the cooked chicken fillets and stir mmmm the aroma is absolutely nice...
    The end result as reported by my husband (curry expert) was a very tasty and traditional flavoured curry without too much spicy heat, My husband likes hot curry's normally but said this was one of his favorites, The down side is that I now have to make one every week.

Chicken Curry , Pilau Rice and Naan Bread

Grey peas and bacon.. Black country delicacy. Or faggots and peas.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_macd View Post
    Rabbit is simply delicious - miles better than chicken.
    Talking about which taste better than chicken ...I've tried pheasant and its fabulous in taste better than chicken , I spotted it in Oxford market hanging in a local farm shop and figured how to cook it ...well its not easy as I have to put some stuffings so as not to make it dry , butter and bacon is a great help while roasting it ....I made a mushroom cream sauce the same sauce that I like with my steaks.

Roast Pheasant and steam veg in mushroom cream sauce

Thread Information