Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Employment and Support Allowance

Hi Everyone,
    If the sponsor is on Employment and Support Allowance Is it he exempted on financial requirement or not?

cheers

Sorry to say but in principle for ESA alone it's No.

Exemptions are currently only allowed for those sponsors in receipt of:-

- Carer’s Allowance
    - Disability Living Allowance
    - Severe Disablement Allowance
    - Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.
    - Attendance Allowance

Respected Member
    Thank you Sir Terpe. He's been looking after his dad for awhile since his dad is been old and can't do things by himself Is there any possible for him to apply a carer's Allowance? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jane2009 View Post
    Thank you Sir Terpe. He's been looking after his dad for awhile since his dad is been old and can't do things by himself Is there any possible for him to apply a carer's Allowance? thanks
    I really can't say anything about that Jane.

There's quite a few things that could be considered such as working with the local authority with view to having an assessment done on his father and for him to consider being paid by the authority as his dad Personal Assistant.

In any case to be eligible for Carer's Allowance he would need to be providing care for his dad at least 35 hours a week. That represents very substantial caring needs.

The Carer's Allowance comes in at only £58.45 a week

Respected Member
    Thank you again Sir, So the best thing he needs to do is to let his dad being assess? His dad is blind, and can't stand up by himself without any assistant. . His been staying with his dad house for a long time..He look after his dad but they didn't declare it to the government. his dad is giving him an allowance at mo. and all he needs.

cheers

Thank you again Sir, So the best thing he needs to do is to let his dad being assess? His dad is blind, and can't stand up by himself without any assistant. . His been staying with his dad house for a long time..He look after his dad but they didn't declare it to the government. his dad is giving him an allowance at mo. and all he needs.

cheers
    The best option would be for him to contact social services - Adult Care for informal discussions
    Remember he still could not qualify for carer's allowance unless he does 35 hours per week.

Now, if he can become eligible for exemption of UKBA Financial Requirement he still needs to meet the 'adequate maintenance'.
    That means a NET Income of £111.45 (to change in April 2013) after deducting all housing costs/Tax and NI
    Could he reach that target?

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    The best option would be for him to contact social services - Adult Care for informal discussions
    Remember he still could not qualify for carer's allowance unless he does 35 hours per week.

Now, if he can become eligible for exemption of UKBA Financial Requirement he still needs to meet the 'adequate maintenance'.
    That means a NET Income of £111.45 (to change in April 2013) after deducting all housing costs/Tax and NI
    Could he reach that target?
    Cheers Sir,
    His with his dad all the time and do most of the thing for him. His dad got a 4 bedroom house and he is 80+ i thing...I will let him know about your advice Sir thank you so much.

if his father is in receipt of attendance allowance then he may apply for carers allowance, even if he is claiming ESA he still is entitled to claim carers but only if his father agrees to him claiming it as the father will lose a portion of his attendance allowance,if he is claiming ESA then that also will be deducted from so depends what rate of ESA he recieves,if its work related activity then its £99.15 per week if its support group then its £105.05,this will be deducted to approx £62 per week then add on the carers allowance of £58.45 makes a total of £120.45 so if your allowed to accumulate the two together then your inside the £111.45.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    I really can't say anything about that Jane.

There's quite a few things that could be considered such as working with the local authority with view to having an assessment done on his father and for him to consider being paid by the authority as his dad Personal Assistant.

In any case to be eligible for Carer's Allowance he would need to be providing care for his dad at least 35 hours a week. That represents very substantial caring needs.

The Carer's Allowance comes in at only £58.45 a week
    Hi sir Terpe,
    I would like to ask again if he get a Carer's Allowance for £58.45, what he needs to do to met UKBA Financial Requirement? I know its £114? I'm really sorry this question sir I just can't understand much with this things.

Hi sir Terpe,
    I would like to ask again if he get a Carer's Allowance for £58.45, what he needs to do to met UKBA Financial Requirement? I know its £114? I'm really sorry this question sir I just can't understand much with this things.
    Hi Jane,

To give you an answer to your specific question.
    If your husband received Carer’s Allowance (£58.45 per week) he would become exempt from the main UKBA Financial Requirement of £18,600 annual minimum .

In which case he would then need to clearly show that you (the visa applicant) can be adequately maintained.
    In basic principle, being adequately maintained means showing that when total housing costs are deducted from the sponsors net income then the balance is equivalent to or more than current Income Support rate. (£112.55 per week)

Sponsors income from benefits can be included as income for the above calculation.

Hope that clarifies for you

Thread Information