Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Pensioners in loneliness epidemic

Older people are in the grip of a "loneliness epidemic", according to research.

More than 66 million hours are spent alone by people aged over 65 in Britain each day, equivalent to each person over 65 spending more than 100 days alone each year, the study found.

The survey, conducted for the Associated Retirement Community Operators (Arco), found that a quarter of over-65s (24%) feel lonely some or most of the time and almost one in five (18%) of over-75s sometimes go a full weekend without seeing and speaking to another person.

The survey of 1,030 people aged over 65 found that they spend an average of 6.4 waking hours alone each day. Multiplied by 10.4 million people over 65, this gives a figure of more than 66 million hours spent alone each day.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pensioners-...4.html#nJqacNX

Sad!

Most Filipino elderly enjoy their remaining lives inside their homes with their children and grandchildren looking after them.

The extended family isn't always a bad thing!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I suppose I would be entirely alone without my Maritess!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I suppose I would be entirely alone without my Maritess!
    Your a lucky man Michael.

Cherish what you have.

Thanks Jake, I more than cherish her Maritess is my life!

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    That's why I would rather retire in the Philippines than here..at least I know someone would care for me there than here..
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    That's why I would rather retire in the Philippines than here..at least I know someone would care for me there than here..
    Agree with you. Much better than being stuck in some care home with a bunch of people you don't know.
    If you were to ask any filipino they would say it is unthinkable to put any of their relatives in a home. Hope it always stays that way.

A long time ago it was like that here. But now the pressure to work to pay the bills has put paid to that. Its the society we live in now. We havent got the time or money to look after our parents.

Trusted Member
    I don't get lonely...not when there's that slightly crazy person in my head who talks to me.

It's a strong and positive reason for me to consider moving to the Philippines.
    Just hope that those I've given a helping hand to will still consider giving me a helping hand to me if I need it.

There's certainly no family network here in UK to help either of us if we are in need.

When you're strong enough and independent enough to take care of yourself there's really no major problem, but it's not always the case.
    If you're stuck in you house, or even in you immediate location, or if you need help to cope with day to day needs that's the time the realisation sets in and the loneliness and vunerablity can creep into your existance. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    It's a strong and positive reason for me to consider moving to the Philippines.
    Just hope that those I've given a helping hand to will still consider giving me a helping hand to me if I need it.

There's certainly no family network here in UK to help either of us if we are in need.

When you're strong enough and independant enough to take care of yourself there's really no major problem, but it's not always the case.
    If you're stuck in you house, or even in you immediate location, or if you need help to cope with day to day needs that's the time the realisation sets in and the loneliness and vunerablity can creep into your existance. So sad.
    We have an old lady neighbour here (a Manc ) who calls us if she needs help, usually when she's really ill and can't do anything other than be on her bed. Keith and I always offered to do stuffs for her, like shopping or getting food for her dog. But most of the time, she just do it by herself anyway. Sometimes I feel sorry for her for being alone, but she said that it's her choice anyway as she wants doing things by herself. Although she said she can only trust Keith in our village, even if he's a Scouser!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    .....she said she can only trust Keith in our village, even if he's a Scouser!
    Hahaha

Well done both. I'll bet she's very secure about that.
    Does she have any family helping/visiting?
    Does she have any community carer?

I'll bet one day she'll need someone.
    That's the fear of all older folks living alone.
    Very sad

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Hahaha

Well done both. I'll bet she's very secure about that.
    Does she have any family helping/visiting?
    Does she have any community carer?

I'll bet one day she'll need someone.
    That's the fear of all older folks living alone.
    Very sad

She has a sister who regularly calls her to check up on her. Sometimes her sister calls us if she can't contact her. But our neighbour still can drive as she loves driving. The good thing with her though is that her doctor does home service for her if she really needs to be checked but can't go out. She's lucky though as she has money. She said she used to own a pub in Manchester before finally settling here in Wales. She really has lots of stories to tell and sometimes we end up listening to all of it for a couple of hours!

-=rayna.keith=-

There seem to be a lot of people living in care homes with no family close by in the UK.

I am a Age UK befriender, and visit people on a regular once a week visit, it's not the same as family but it hopefully helps, we find visits need to be on time, I take my dog with me if they like pets he thinks that everybody is a friend anyhow and having him there helps.
    Mick.

Nice to here someone helping others
    I'm sure it makes a big difference to their day.

Well done Mick, a very nice gesture!

Quote Originally Posted by mickcant View Post
    There seem to be a lot of people living in care homes with no family close by in the UK.

I am a Age UK befriender, and visit people on a regular once a week visit, it's not the same as family but it hopefully helps, we find visits need to be on time, I take my dog with me if they like pets he thinks that everybody is a friend anyhow and having him there helps.
    Mick.
    Well done Mick

What a good idea that is

Thread Information