Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Expensive living

I was happy living here before, but now with 2 children, exchange rate diving weekly, losing child benefit, and daily expenses makes us over draft every month just can't take it anymore...
    Cramped, loud, 1 1/2 bedroom expensive flat!

Mortgage: £1000
    Agency managing fee: £400/Monthly
    Send to Phils: £300/monthly
    Food £100 a week
    Bills, insurance...

These are only few reasons why we can't travel and have a Social life as a family of 4....

Thinking of moving....not happy anymore....

Quote Originally Posted by beth18 View Post
    I was happy living here before, but now with 2 children, exchange rate diving weekly, losing child benefit, and daily expenses makes us over draft every month just can't take it anymore...

Food £100 a week
    Bills, insurance...

These are only few reasons why we can't travel and have a Social life as a family of 4....

Relating this to Steve W's post about supporting family back in phils, no one there would believe you Beth. You must be a millionaire because you are in the UK.... right??? Oh... and why are you only sending £300 a month back.. blah blah blah!!!!

Life is not easy Beth,
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Banned
    Forgive me for my ignorance but what is this charge for ;-

Trusted Member
    Move to the North of England.

Most things are cheaper, salary probably the same, quality of life much better IMO, with less stress.

aberdeen £95,000

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    aberdeen £95,000
    Bah...extortionate !

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-37916668.html

She has got a point. Wait until the posh boys budget. Then it will be even more expensive to live. GUARANTEED.

very true indeed here in the UK.. EVERYTHING cost you
    A place for everything, everything in its place.

I don't know what, they want from me
    It's like the more money we come across The more problems we see

http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    ah but can you leave the door unlocked, day or night, and know when you come back, all is just as you left it

oh the profile pic suits you to a tee

Food £100 a week
    Bills, insurance...

we all have to budget, even those who have a little extra cash its becoming harder to live, shop wisely, live within your means even if this means moving house, reduced what you send to the phils and what is the £400 fee for

Trusted Member
    ah but can you leave the door unlocked, day or night, and know when you come back,all is just as you left it

oh the profile pic suits you to a tee
    Hey...tell you what mate.

My place DID get broken into, and if it hadn't been for my next door neighbour telling me...I'd never have noticed anything out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    we all have to budget, even those who have a little extra cash its becoming harder to live, shop wisely, live within your means even if this means moving house, reduced what you send to the phils and what is the £400 fee for
    No reply yet. ... maybe she runs/owns a small [? personnel recruitment] agency of some sort and the £400 is for the monthly rental of the property used. Just a thought!

never now Arthur, i hope its not a charge from a agency for giving out work

Respected Member
    I was so surprised at the cost of living on my last visit to the UK, it was the final straw and made me decide definitely that we won't be returning. Life is hard in the UK, even if your earning a reasonable salary. Some friends of mine and I have come the opinion that unless your earning more than £100,000 in the UK you couldn't live a comfortable life.
    We are in the process of getting an Australian visa, which we hope will offer us a better quality of life in the future, particularly when the salaries in my line of work are about 4x the UK salary offering.

its all down to what you think is right for you and your family, it is hard living here in England whats the saying, work to live live to work, well it seems you will be working till you die if you stay here,
    Just going on how i live and i think i am a lucky one, we both work very hard, we own our own house and dont have any debt other then the bills that come from month to month, we save and are both looking forward to a early retirement 5 years early i am planning so i am going at 60 all being well,
    You dont have to earn that amount £100,000 to live well, its having no debt that you can live well

Hey...tell you what mate.

My place DID get broken into, and if it hadn't been for my next door neighbour telling me...I'd never have noticed anything out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Relating this to Steve W's post about supporting family back in phils, no one there would believe you Beth. You must be a millionaire because you are in the UK.... right??? Oh... and why are you only sending £300 a month back.. blah blah blah!!!!

Life is not easy Beth,

Steve, £300 hat we send is apart from we are paying a second mortgage because we got them a 4 bedroom house, I know my husband is so generous I'm working hard as well so I can help around. I am Happy on my part that finally I am able to help my family but sometimes if I look into our situation here I feel sad but what can I do... I know this should stop some how I just don't know when....

But what we send and do for them is nothing compared to friends I know. My husband tells me that what making us short is really the managing Agency for the building collecting 20 grand for building works and beautification. oh well..

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post

There was a contract agreed 3 years ago that the building have to be fixed externally so all flat ownwers have to pay certain amount for the whole project, you know fixing of the hall way carpets lighting, window cleaners, hall way cleaners, fixing of the lift, right now they are doing the external of the building window frame and so on...

Steve, £300 hat we send is apart from we are paying a second mortgage because we got them a 4 bedroom house, I know my husband is so generous I'm working hard as well so I can help around. I am Happy on my part that finally I am able to help my family but sometimes if I look into our situation here I feel sad but what can I do... I know this should stop some how I just don't know when....

But what we send and do for them is nothing compared to friends I know. My husband tells me that what making us short is really the managing Agency for the building collecting 20 grand for building works and beautification. oh well..
    i think there are many people worse off than you
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Beth, there are a number of members here on less than £10000 per annum, me included and we budget accordingly, our total bills incuding food and £475 rent monthly allow us to just to be able to manage. Just hoping that when wifey starts earning we can save her salary. One must try and live within one's means, you and your kids come first and I was quite shocked that you said you were using your overdraft instead of cancelling sending money to Philippines. Dont wish to offend!!

Move to the North of England.

Most things are cheaper, salary probably the same, quality of life much better IMO, with less stress.
    It's not possible at the moment, My H works in East London....

Hahaha! anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    Steve, It's for the managing Agency fee. looking after the building apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    Beth, there are a number of members here on less than £10000 per annum, me included and we budget accordingly, our total bills incuding food and £475 rent monthly allow us to just to be able to manage. Just hoping that when wifey starts earning we can save her salary. One must try and live within one's means, you and your kids come first and I was quite shocked that you said you were using your overdraft instead of cancelling sending money to Philippines. Dont wish to offend!!
    you have to live within your means. no point in getting in debt here to send money to your family in the phils, soon or later everything could come tumbling down if any of you lose your job you could be in deep

good luck with your wife finding a job Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    No reply yet. ... maybe she runs/owns a small [? personnel recruitment] agency of some sort and the £400 is for the monthly rental of the property used. Just a thought!
    Hi Arthur,
    It's a monthly fee for the managing agency who do building works and maintenance in our building.

wow so much, i hope it all works out for you in the end, try sending a smaller amount to the phils or sending something when you can afford it, i am sure they will understand

£400 managing fee, thats a mortgage

£400 managing fee, thats a mortgage
    And it's killing us...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information