Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morning all

Cool Morning all

Hi there,

As usual I find the perfect site after spending months trawling the web for information on the Philippines, better late than never!
    Anyway, a quick intro.... I'm off to meet my much better half's family in less than 2 weeks now, flying with Emirates to Manila and then down to Tarlac for a few days. We are then off to Port Barton in Palawan for 10 days.
    Just a few questions, if I may impose on my first post?

Is it traditional for me to take gifts for the family, and if so do you have any suggestions?
    Any ideas of the cost of living in the Port Barton area, I understand that credit/debit cards are not generally accepted and it's cash only. How much should I take to feed 6 of us for 10 days, obviously allowing a budget for trips and souvenirs.

Sorry to start my first post with questions, but as I said I wish I'd discovered this site months ago! Hopefully I'll be able to contribute more to the site as time goes on with answering other members questions.

Nice to meet you all,

Simon

Hi Simon, welcome to the forum,

I think it best you don't go making a rod for your own back. Gifts are 'not' expected and if you are treating the family to a holiday, then this is more than enough of a gift for them. If you start showing your wealth, then it will be expected later. Just go as an average person, dont splash the cash, be careful not to show you have money and do not be fooled into thinking you have to take them out for expensive meals every night.

By the way, you will not be going 'down' to Tarlac as you have to go 'up to Tarlac from Manila. We wouldn't want you to get lost.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quality chocs should go down well with all
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Hi there,

Nice to meet you all,

Simon
    Likewise, Simon. to our friendly filipino/uk website ... and good luck with your imminent travels.

Banned
    A bottle of decent scotch for the menfolk but as Steve says don't go making a rod. Have a great trip

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    A bottle of decent scotch
    ... IS there such a thing?

Hi there,

As usual I find the perfect site after spending months trawling the web for information on the Philippines, better late than never!
    Anyway, a quick intro.... I'm off to meet my much better half's family in less than 2 weeks now, flying with Emirates to Manila and then down to Tarlac for a few days. We are then off to Port Barton in Palawan for 10 days.

Is it traditional for me to take gifts for the family, and if so do you have any suggestions?
    Any ideas of the cost of living in the Port Barton area, I understand that credit/debit cards are not generally accepted and it's cash only. How much should I take to feed 6 of us for 10 days, obviously allowing a budget for trips and souvenirs.

Sorry to start my first post with questions, but as I said I wish I'd discovered this site months ago! Hopefully I'll be able to contribute more to the site as time goes on with answering other members questions.

Nice to meet you all,

Simon
    Hello Simon, welcome aboard

Take note of some good advice given so far.

Enjoy your trip

Thanks for all the kind welcomes and advise, especially to Steve or I could have been taking a very scenic route to Tarlac
    Last edited by raynaputi; 28th February 2013 at 15:55. Reason: removed link

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum
    Have a great trip and don't forget to come back and tell us about it.

Hi simon welcome to our friendly forum
    Where in Tarlac are you going? My wife was born & lived in san miguel Tarlac all her childhood days & still has many family there

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

Morning Stevie,
    My partners family are from Capas Tarlac, but we're staying in Tarlac itself (didn't want to impose too much on the first visit).

Welcome... you will get some good advice from the forum members here.
    If i was you i would take a small gift (pasalubong) for your partners mum and dad and maybe something for any kids in the family. Doesn't have to be expensive

In Philippine culture you are kind of expected to bring gifts when you have traveled from somewhere else. Even though some people may disagree with this i personally think it is quite appropriate to bring a gift. If you went to your friends in the UK for dinner you would probably take a bottle of wine. Same thing.

What gifts? The first time it can be a bit tricky as you haven't met them in person. Something from the UK would go down well. Might only be a t-shirt but as long as it says Great Britain or England it would be unique.
    For the kids CHOCOLATE always goes down well. You can buy them at the duty free shop in the airport when you land. Saves all the hassle of bringing them from the UK.

Credit/debit cards are a lot more widely accepted than they used to be. You can use your UK cards to withdraw money at any ATM machine. I'm not sure of the charges but if you search the forum someone will have already written about this. Have read some members have had there's blocked when trying to use them here. Make sure you inform the bank before you go!

As other members have already said dont get carried away with your spending.

Respected Member vernier caliper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Credit/debit cards are a lot more widely accepted than they used to be. You can use your UK cards to withdraw money at any ATM machine. I'm not sure of the charges
    The charge is from 150 up to 200 pesos or Ł4 maximum per transaction on top of any fees from your own bank. Please be reminded that some banks in the Philippines are dispensing P5,000 (Ł85) maximum per transaction. If you're planning to spend Ł500-1000 I think bringing cash is better. Exchange rate in the Philippine malls is better than the UK bank rate. Just be cautious of pickpocket gangs. Enjoy your holiday.

start as you mean to go on, like many have said before me, just be careful, if you can treat them to things then go ahead, but if you cant then dont, remember its your cash that is being spent to get there and to get back,
    best thing to do is ask your girl what does she think

In Philippine culture you are kind of expected to bring gifts when you have traveled from somewhere else. Even though some people may disagree with this
    Yes, I disagree with this strongly.

As I said before, don't make a rod for your own back. Arrive with an arm load of JollieBee and you will have friends forever. Enough said.

Maybe later (ie 2nd 3rd visit) you will know the lay of the land or know who is who and who is going to try to fleece you, when you know this then, if you feel it appropriate, bring them small gifts. Buying shirts for people you don't know, or buying the wrong sizes or for those who wouldn't wear them is a waste of money in my opinion.

Respected Member
    As a Filipino buying gifts to the family that you never meet is inappropriate. Buy gift for your Fiancée but not with all of them because everytime you go there they will expect anything from you. Present yourself as simple as you can be don't splash your money....

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    I agree with Steve.r & Lovejoy, be sensible otherwise you will be taken advantage of!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Yes, I disagree with this strongly.

As I said before, don't make a rod for your own back. Arrive with an arm load of JollieBee and you will have friends forever. Enough said.

Maybe later (ie 2nd 3rd visit) you will know the lay of the land or know who is who and who is going to try to fleece you, when you know this then, if you feel it appropriate, bring them small gifts. Buying shirts for people you don't know, or buying the wrong sizes or for those who wouldn't wear them is a waste of money in my opinion.
    I understand your point of view but what is the problem with buying your parents in law a small gift?

There are a lot of people who live in the Philippines that are not going to try and fleece you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    I agree with Steve.r & Lovejoy, be sensable otherwise you will be taken advantage of!
    Michael, are you implying that the OP will be taken advantage by his partners family? Do agree he should be sensible though.

I am sure Ems takes advantage of me and she is here

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    i am sure Ems takes advantage of me and she is here
    that's the way you like it!

Jake, when me and my ex used to visit Philippines, the wife always said not to tell anyone that we were going because its cheaper, when I asked her why the answer was, because if you tell them you are going to visit all the friends & relatives turn up from all over the Philippines during the time you are there and they think you are rich and expect something from you. But by not saying you are coming you can at least have a couple of days with family in peace, by all means yes take them to Jollybee or somewhere like that and they will be more than happy, then you can do your own thing until a day or so before you return to UK then visit them again before your flight home!: xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael,
    Perhaps its just me but i have noticed a tendency of some people to portray some aspects of Philippine life in a certain way. Not all families are the same.
    No i don't see things through the favorite expat saying of 'rose tinted glasses'.

Jake, I find immediate family no problem at all as they respect their daughters/siblings husband, it's all the more distant relatives and friends/neighbors, some are ok and some are not and it would be unfair to generalise. In the end common sense prevails!

Michael, Its true not to generalize.
    In all cultures relatives, friends, neighbors can be good or bad

Hi there,

Nice to meet you all,

Simon
    your presence with a big smile , good intention and good behaviour is more important than gifts ...

just in case you are planning to bring or give something to them just bring chocolates lol

because branded chocolate in the philippines cost u a fortune

I understand your point of view but what is the problem with buying your parent in laws a small gift?
    There are a lot of people who live in the Philippines that are not going to try and fleece you.
    I don't believe the OP is in fact married yet, but the first impression would be one of giving respect and to be humbled to be invited into another person's home. A firm hand shake to the father and mother and a kind, honest smile will go further than an ill fitting union jack tee shirt. As I remember, the first time I met my wife's mother I held her hand and gave her a kiss on both cheeks (continental style) lol, she wasn't expecting that, that was for sure, but it broke the ice and I never gave her any gifts.

Trusted Member
    Just buy the family a few crates of beer and some local grub, and all get blasted together. You'll be da man !

i agree with you Grahamw48

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    I don't believe the OP is in fact married yet, but the first impression would be one of giving respect and to be humbled to be invited into another person's home. A firm handshake to the father and mother and a kind, honest smile will go further than an ill fitting union jack tee shirt. As I remember, the first time I met my wife's mother I held her hand and gave her a kiss on both cheeks (continental style) lol, she wasn't expecting that, that was for sure, but it broke the ice and I never gave her any gifts.
    I agree with you giving respect is the most important.

The OP did ask about bringing gifts and I did say it would be nice to give something to your partner's parents and some chocolate for any kids in the family.

The point I was making is that it is still traditional for people coming from overseas - or even another province - to bring some sort of gift. Doesn't have to be expensive as it's the thought that counts. Maybe I shouldn't have used t shirts as an example!

My late father in law used to feel cold if the temperature dropped below 25 degrees. If I was coming from abroad I would always bring him woolly socks or a fleece. He loved 'em!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3185632AAP4Hg2
    Last edited by jake; 3rd March 2013 at 08:08. Reason: add on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information