Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Cruise Ship Couple, looking for advice.

Hi there, I'm Nick & my Fiancee is Ella. I'm from Brighton in the UK & Ella is from Siquijor PH. I have been to her province 3 times & she has been to UK twice on a visitors visa. We work together on the same cruise ship, Norwegian Sun; I'm the Safety Officer & Ella is a Restaurant Hostess. On our last vacation we were planning to marry in PH but didn't realize how long getting the necessary paper work would take; which we now have. However, due to one thing & another (Typhoon Pablo being one reason), we ran out of time & didn't manage to tie the knot.
    We are now planning to get married whilst at work, in St Thomas USVI, in the Caribbean.
    I can see online that we will be able to register this marriage in PH, but our plan is to get a spouse visa so that Ella can move to the UK & hopefully find employment. We have been together 4 years now.
    So, my question, (at last) is this:
    Is a marriage undertaken abroad recognized when applying for a spouse visa to UK?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Also, is there anyone with any PH contacts in the Brighton / West Sussex area?

Salamat in advance!

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Yes it's quite acceptable to marry in the Philippines for a spouse visa, welcome to the forum and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-and-Ella View Post
    .....Is a marriage undertaken abroad recognized when applying for a spouse visa to UK?
    Salamat in advance!
    Hi there Nick, welcome to the forum.
    There's absolutely no problems with an overseas marriage when applying for a spouse visa, provided that marriage is recognised by UK. Usually not an issue

From the new FCO website:-
    (Marriages and civil partnerships section)

You can’t register an overseas marriage or civil partnership in the UK, but it will usually be recognised if it’s valid in the other country.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Hi there Nick, welcome to the forum.
    There's absolutely no problems with an overseas marriage when applying for a spouse visa, provided that marriage is recognised by UK. Usually not an issue

From the new FCO website:-
    (Marriages and civil partnerships section)
    Ok, thanks for the link & links & advice.

Hi Nick & Ella,

Welcome to the forum. Where in Siquijor is Ella from (if I may ask)? Im from Maria Siquijor .
    Always look on the bright side of life

Hi Angellegwen,

Ella, is from Maria also; Saguing to be precise.

Quote Originally Posted by angellegwen View Post
    Hi Nick & Ella,

Welcome to the forum. Where in Siquijor is Ella from (if I may ask)? Im from Maria Siquijor .
    Her family name is Calibo on her father's side, & Oliveros on her Mother's side. If Ella had a friend from Siquijor in UK it would be great!

Her family name is Calibo on her father's side, & Oliveros on her Mother's side. If Ella had a friend from Siquijor in UK it would be great!
    Ohhh My family name is Aranton, from the town proper of Poblacion Sur. Count me in, it woulld nice to see her in the future (both i mean) im excited for you both...
    Michael Parnham's wife is also from Siquijor yepeee. And Brighton and Kent is not that far, it would be nice.

Respected Member
    Hi Nick,

Nothing really to add, except I previously worked on the cruise lines as a Safety Officer/2nd Off. and met my wife onboard too. It can all work out!
    All the best.

to our friendly Filipino/UK website, Nick & Ella ... and good luck with your marital plans.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    Hi Nick,

Nothing really to add, except I previously worked on the cruise lines as a Safety Officer/2nd Off. and met my wife onboard too. It can all work out!
    All the best.
    Thanks Ricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    to our friendly Filipino/UK website, Nick & Ella ... and good luck with your marital plans.
    Thankyou Arthur.

Ohhh My family name is Aranton, from the town proper of Poblacion Sur. Count me in, it woulld nice to see her in the future (both i mean) im excited for you both...
    Michael Parnham's wife is also from Siquijor yepeee. And Brighton and Kent is not that far, it would be nice.
    If it's possible, please try & send us your private e-mail as I told Ella & she would like to get in touch. She will need friends in the UK as my job on the ship will mean her being alone for 3 months at a time.

she can email me at agfadiprose12@yahoo.co.uk i cant find how to send you a private message

she can email me at agfadiprose12@yahoo.co.uk i cant find how to send you a private message
    I know, I can't see that either! I have sent you an e-mail from here on the ship; when Ella has a chance to get online she will e-mail you too. If you want to write a note to my e-mail for Ella I can make sure it gets to her. I hope we manage to keep in touch when Ella eventually comes to UK.

I know, I can't see that either! I have sent you an e-mail from here on the ship; when Ella has a chance to get online she will e-mail you too. If you want to write a note to my e-mail for Ella I can make sure it gets to her. I hope we manage to keep in touch when Ella eventually comes to UK.

Hi, okay i'll check my email. Oh i see your email. Ill be looking forward to her email . Yeah unless i'll be deported , i'll always be here, and for sure the rest of the forum members as well. I wish she will be here soon.

It seems we have hit the first rock in our quest for UK visa. My job is overseas as I work for NCL, a cruise line based in Miami, & the application says I should have work in the UK. Has anyone else found this to be a problem? I don't understand why it's an issue, I have a property in UK & have always lived there.

Respected Member
    It shouldn't be a problem, I have quite a few friends who also have wives from South East Asia and who work at sea employed overseas and the UKBA accept that. Drop me an e-mail if you like and I can explain a few workarounds
    Last edited by Terpe; 12th March 2013 at 17:04. Reason: eMail removed per request

Hi Ricky R, ok I will do. Thanks so much for putting my mind at rest.

Update. Ella arrives on March 2nd after a long but successful visa application process. Thanks for the advice, especially Ricky R. Your advice for my financial side with working at sea was invaluable.

Salamat Kayo!

Thread Information