Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Full Time House Helper

If you lived in the Philippines would you have a full time helper?
    What would you pay them?
    We have somebody come in once a week and do general cleaning and ironing. We pay her 400 pesos for the day. If you asked a filipino or even a foreigner living here they would say that is high. She is experienced and does a great job. Also use her on the odd day the kids are home and we are both working.

Just remembered i was given a half day to do housework

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    My parents used to pay for an in-house helper for Php2000-2500 monthly..My sister with kids does the same too. Their duties include cooking, minding the kids, laundry, cleaning the house, and other house chores. The helpers don't do much though as my parents are still hands on when it comes to my nephews as they don't trust them fully with the helpers (we usually have helpers that are family relatives or we've known them for a very long time and not through agencies).
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Trusted Member
    During the last period of residence my family had in the Phils (3 years), we used the services of two of the ex-wife's nieces, who lived in.

Only thing we avoided letting them do was cook...and also, after one of them attempted to wash the new electric rice cooker by submerging it in water...washing up.

They were paid the monthly going rate for a live-in maid, whatever it was at the time. Obviously a rather different relationship when it's a relative, and nice for the kids too, who had an extra playmate and guardian.

i wouldn't have a maid, i believe in cleaning my own mess up
    also the devil finds work for idle hands
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    If you lived in the Philippines would you have a full time helper?
    What would you pay them?
    We have somebody come in once a week and do general cleaning and ironing. We pay her 400 pesos for the day. If you asked a filipino or even a foreigner living here they would say that is high. She is experienced and does a great job. Also use her on the odd day the kids are home and we are both working.

Just remembered i was given a half day to do housework
    Personally I'd be very happy to pay someone the equivalent of £6 in the Phils for coming in once a week to do my housework who does a great job.

i would also pay someone, just remember you are helping them help their family too,

If I could afford it I would pay for someone to clean my home once a week. I wouldn't say I am lazy, but I really hate housework!

It's no easy task to find a trustworthy and 'helpful helper'.

We have used both family members and non-family members. There's good and bad in both scenarios.

Overall we have been lucky to have found some really good folks to help us out.
    Whether they are family or not we always end up with more of a family relationship than a formal employer/employee.
    If we go out for shopping and a dinner we will more often than not include them.

Never employed anyone on a loose basis to warrant paying on a daily basis, but if your happy and the helper is happy that's it.

We had a family member helper one time who always went missing, totally unreliable and generally unhelpful (Well except in the teaching Tongits department ).
    More seriously, all sorts of things would go missing.
    Bought a ticket back from Manila to Davao and dropped-off at the airport.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    In Dumaguete the going rate is p1500/p2000 per month, personally I wouldn't have a helper, firstly we want to do everything ourselves and secondly we wouldn't want strangers in our home!

Trusted Member
    Both of our helpers (nieces) were very good and totally honest...so lucky there.

Also both have subsequently gone on to marry poriners....one Swedish and one Aussie.

Probably both considerably richer than me now.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    In Dumaguete the going rate is p1500/p2000 per month, personally I wouldn't have a helper, firstly we want to do everything ourselves and secondly we wouldn't want strangers in our home!
    Depends on circumstances.

We had 3 kids, and both my wife and myself were running businesses from home.

Trusted Member
    + ...as Steve Wool pointed out, it helps the extended family...also useful for teaching the kids Tagalog.

We have a family relative, my mum's distant cousin, who took care of me and my siblings when we were little (as both my parents are working) and now he's the one taking care of my nephews (and my 2 nephews are so attached to him)..He's kinda our family's "yayo (yaya)" and he's the only one we can fully trust. A bit sad though as he got a son of his own who was raised by the kid's grandparents (because of parents' separation) and our "yayo" wasn't present half of his son's life. If there's some misunderstandings between him and any member of the family, my grandparents usually deals with it as no one can bend rules when it comes to my grandparents!
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

During both times I was in the Phils ... Myrna & myself stayed with elderly relatives of hers who employed a distant [middle-aged] cousin to etc; we hardly needed to lift a finger - except to go shopping occasionally - Siddra took care of practically everything else otherwise, and what a bloody marvellous job she did!

Trusted Member
    Yes, shame families aren't still close like that here...helping each other out, the way things used to be.

Unlike me, who was born in a Nursing Home on Glasgow's South Side, my brother's birth took place at our parents' 1st-floor, red sandstone, tenement flat. During the course of her confinement, my mum had hired an (... well ... she seemed "ancient" to a mere 21/2-year-old child!) to cook, clean, iron and look after yours truly, for most of the day while my father was at work.

Anyhow, around this time, some of my dad's football medals went missing, and the old besom insisted I'd [somehow or other] managed to climb up onto the draining board and chuck them out of the kitchen window.

But when my father scoured the back court below, they were nowhere to be found. So your guess is as good as mine! Never found them - and from then on, my folks had their suspicions.

Bear in mind, this was March 1947 - the tail-end of one of the most severe winters on record - and in the midst of post-war austerity - therefore, who knows? these medals may have fetched a "bob or two" in a pawn shop had the old dear been thus tempted.

Thanks for your answers.
    Was speaking to a expat last week and he couldn't believe after being here 14 years we didn't have full time help as we both work. He has 3 and the wife doesn't even work Nearly asked him if housework would spoil her manicure
    Like some of you we have had nephews and nieces stay with us when they were at college. We paid for their studies and they did help in the house and worked part time in our business.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    During the last period of residence my family had in the Phils (3 years), we used the services of two of the ex-wife's nieces, who lived in.

Only thing we avoided letting them do was cook...and also, after one of them attempted to wash the new electric rice cooker by submerging it in water...washing up.

They were paid the monthly going rate for a live-in maid, whatever it was at the time. Obviously a rather different relationship when it's a relative, and nice for the kids too, who had an extra playmate and guardian.
    The rice cooker story reminds me of a neighbour who asked his helper to clean the car. Poor girl had just started working for them and used a scotch brite. I thought it was hilarious and he did see the funny side eventually!
    Paying somebody the monthly going rate is always a good idea. Some foreigners may overpay because they see poverty and the living conditions the person was brought up in. Not a good idea.
    Last edited by jake; 20th January 2013 at 05:45. Reason: SPELLING

Had a few in the past but never felt comfortable with them,one got pregnant as she was always flirting with local guys,another was lazy and sulked,I actually like housework so wouldnt have one if I lived in pinas again,theres a pinay housekeeper lives close to me here in the UK,she takes home about a grand a month and lives in so she is happy.
    A good friend of mine on siquijor had a maid who he slept with,then she went to manila,her sister worked in his house he slept with her,and their mother worked part time for him and he slept with her,I did ask him when was he going to shag the father
    Remember keith R jake?I was in a shop with him in mid-levels when a guy came in with a stunning wife and a beautiful maid,his wife was a bit ahead of them when we saw the guy and the maid have a bit of a grope of each other keith was as laconioc as ever and just said "Lucky b***ard" because both women were head turners
    Lola has two at the beach but she is getting old,never asked how much she pays them.

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

I did know three marriages in hong kong that broke-up through live-in maids one of whom got pregnant by the guy,i wish I had been a fly on the wall in that household when the wife found out

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Trusted Member
    I can imagine it is a huge temptation.

My ex's family seem to have a talent for producing gorgeous women, and our live-in nieces were no exception. I must admit that did drive me nuts at times, but I always managed to keep my hands off them...even when the ex was absent for a few months finding us accomo' back in the UK (and also keeping to the terms of her spouse visa by not being out of the UK too long). That is probably why I'm still alive today.

Kasambahay bill undergoing review

Malacañang on Saturday said it has received and is now reviewing the Kasambahay Bill – a measure listing the rights of domestic helpers – before submitting it to President Benigno Aquino III for signing.

Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said “...we already received it. It is with the Office of the Deputy Executive Secretary for normal review. Then it will be given to the President,” she said on government-run dzRB radio.

But she said there is still no clear date yet on when the bill would be signed into law.

Last year, both houses of Congress approved the Kasambahay Bill, which is expected to benefit some 2.5 million domestic helpers in the country.

The proposed measure defines the labor rights of domestic household workers, increases their minimum wages and provides regular employment benefits for them.

An officer of a migrant workers' group had said the enactment into law of the Kasambahay Bill will give the Philippines the "moral ascendancy" in pushing the protection and advancement of the rights of Filipino domestic workers abroad.

For the government to demand for the rights of domestic workers abroad, “kailangan mong ipakita rin na sa loob ng bansa ginagawa mo rin,” said Ana Liza Valencia, project coordinator on Decent Work for Domestic Workers Project of the Philippine office of the International Labor Organization

Source:-
    http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...elated_stories
    It's worth delving into this new bill.
    Based on anecdotal stories, there's an argument here about being somewhat one-sided

My yaya Lucy who is with us and still with us for four decades now... she helped my mum to look after me when i was young and she even looked after my kids too in the PH...I am missing her a lot especially now I am here in England...its hard to get reliable house helper these days ...if I were to hire househelper in ph I wouldn't hire young one's as they are lazy and always on their mobile phone and wants to go home to their province all the time for some holiday.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    ...if I were to hire househelper in ph I wouldn't hire young one's as they are lazy and always on their mobile phone and wants to go home to their province all the time for some holiday.
    That's how usually it was with my nephews' yayas (most of them)..they spent most of their time texting and going out of the house to flirt with neighbours.. Hence, sticking with the relative who took care of us when we were younger.

The best ones that my sister hired were the ones who already have kids of their own in the provinces. They treat the kids as how they would with their own. But those helpers didn't stay long though as they have to go back to province in the end to take care of their kids. They even cried when they have to leave as they all said they'll miss my nephews as they became so attached with the kids. So hard to find such helpers like that at this time.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    ..they spent most of their time texting and going out of the house to flirt with neighbours ..
    ... 's also how it was with Julie - the youngest daughter of Myrna's relatives' housemaid - who'd just turned 21

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... Siddra took care of practically everything else otherwise, and what a bloody marvellous job she did!
    Unlike the aforementioned daughter ... who happened to be a complete contrast to Siddra!

10 years ago i ws used to be househelper..i earn about 800 pesos /month
    A place for everything, everything in its place.

Trusted Member
    Our helper....(my niece) supervising my stepdaughter at the swimming pool.

(We used to pay her p2500 a month plus free accommo and food).

A place for everything, everything in its place.

Trusted Member
    My 'workhorse' pushbike in the background....with child seat specially imported from the UK. The locals found it fascinating....and the fact that I had LIGHTS on my bike.

Thread Information