Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

I just got Engaged

Not how I expected the day to pan out....

Had been thinking about asking my little Filipino to marry me for a couple of weeks now, and although we have only been chatting online for about 3/4 months now and have never met in person, I just know she is the one for me.

I was not sure she was genuine at first but have been asking lots of questions and I do believe she is 100% for real. I know this forum wont judge me, but I am not looking forward to my workmates/friends and family finding out as I know they wont understand how I can get engaged to someone I haven't met in person. I guess it's a case of not having done it so not understanding. I found it strange myself at first!

But anyway I plucked up the courage to ask her to marry me this afternoon whilst we were video chatting on skype. Wasn't the way I had planned to propose, but after asking her certain questions I decided she was the one and I would snap her up quick!

I had to tell someone and as she hasn't told her family yet she asked me not to mention anything on facebook yet, so I had to tell someone as I am so happy right now.

The way I look at it is you don't get anywhere in life without taking a few risks. So if I didn't take this risk I may always be wondering what if. Just like I did when I didn't snap up my first true love in my teenage years, who coincidently just got engaged a few weeks back!!

Wow you are a brave man asking her to marry you & getting engaged without even meeting her first
    Can't say it would be my decision but I wish you both all the best for the future

AN HAPPY WIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE

Trusted Member
    Wishing you both the best of luck.

Respected Member vernier caliper's Avatar
    Good luck Slip.

I think your next step is to book a flight to Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Slip View Post
    Not how I expected the day to pan out....
    ... sometimes it can be possible to SURPRISE even ourselves.

congrats slip

i know your 100% certain, but still maybe good idea to keep an air of caution, without spoiling the magic, at least untill you meet in person,

i wish you all the luck,

my first one i thought 100% also, turned out bad even after almost 3 years being deceived, this i why i mention caution,

on the other hand it worked out even better for me second time around i have found my match,after 6 months of chatting ,i visited philippines for 3 weeks over christmas,
    i know with out doubt i now have my perfect match, i got engaged while there,and we are both very happy,

so you see it can go either way, like its said in a recent thread, heart or brain, use both i say, all the best , i hope it goes as good as it has for me

Banned
    Good luck Slip

As Del Boy would say "He who dares!"

Quote Originally Posted by stevie c View Post
    Wow you are a brave man asking her to marry you & getting engaged without even meeting her first
    Can't say it would be my decision but I wish you both all the best for the future
    i did the same still not divorced me yet after 10yrs of being married

good luck slip
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

The way I look at it is you don't get anywhere in life without taking a few risks. So if I didn't take this risk I may always be wondering what if.
    ... that's true!

Congratulations ... I wish both you and your fiancee every happiness.

Respected Member

Sheriel from Leyte

Actually my wife proposed to me in Ormoc Villa Hotel,Ormoc,Leyte,Philippines,i would suggest you at least visit the Country,it was awesome,awesome,

wow great news, now get over there quick, dont take any notice what your work colleagues or others may or may not say to you,

Respected Member

Sheriel from Leyte

Hello Slip,Take a look at your options,we wont judge anyone,but you will find the road ahead isnt easy,as others here will testify,study your options,and we all hope you will succeed,

... although we have only been chatting online for about 3/4 months now and have never met in person, I just know she is the one for me.

I do believe she is 100% for real.
    Perhaps I can reassure you about similar vibes I'd been receiving in the course of my online correspondence with a Filipina (widowed like myself) back in 2007/8.

I know this forum wont judge me.
    It's not our policy to pass judgement ... each member has the right as an individual to live his/her life according to how he/she sees fit.

So if I didn't take this risk I may always be wondering what if.
    ... after almost a year of emailing one another, I stopped asking myself, "what if ... ?". And, without further deliberation, I then went and booked a flight to go out and visit the aforementioned lady in the Philippines. Thus ...

... here I am 41/2 years later ... happily married to my Mahal, blissfully aware of having taken one of THE best decisions I'd ever made - or would even have thought possible at my advanced age.

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar
    Slip good luck to you mate there are a lot of genuine beautiful Filipinas out there,

Spoke to my mahal for 6 months on yahoo and skype then met her for the first time I proposed after 6 days because I knew she was the one, we married 2 months later and now have a little one due in 2 weeks.

All this happened within 12 months and we are both living in the UK now very happy.

So I say life is too short go for it buddy.

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Good luck Slip, sincerely hope it works out for you

Many congratulations to you both Slip

Trusted Member
    Now if only I could get Angelina Jolie to even answer my messages.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie c View Post
    Not something I had planned to do. But I dont have much luck in this world and the way I see it is I have nothing to lose by giving it a shot. If it doesn't work out I have had the best time in my life for quite some years. If it does work out then my good times continue

Quote Originally Posted by vernier caliper View Post
    Good luck Slip.

I think your next step is to book a flight to Philippines
    I wish it were that easy. As it stands she is currently working in Singapore. Her contract is up early next year. She has said she doesn't want me to waste money to come to Singapore as I would have to stay in a hotel and she only gets Sundays off. So although it will be nice to meet her, she wants it to be in Philipines and me to stay with her in her family home.
    This may all change, as I have told her I am willing to spend what little I have to come to Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    congrats slip

i know your 100% certain, but still maybe good idea to keep an air of caution, without spoiling the magic, at least untill you meet in person,

i wish you all the luck,

my first one i thought 100% also, turned out bad even after almost 3 years being deceived, this i why i mention caution,

on the other hand it worked out even better for me second time around i have found my match,after 6 months of chatting ,i visited philippines for 3 weeks over christmas,
    i know with out doubt i now have my perfect match, i got engaged while there,and we are both very happy,

so you see it can go either way, like its said in a recent thread, heart or brain, use both i say, all the best , i hope it goes as good as it has for me
    I am being cautious, although it probably doesn't seem like that!

Do you mind telling me about your first one deceiving you? You can PM me if you like. If not I understand.

Good luck on your pending marriage, glad you found the one for you

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    i did the same still not divorced me yet after 10yrs of being married

good luck slip
    I am glad I am not the only one, and you prove it can work!!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Now if only I could get Angelina Jolie to even answer my messages.

Keep at it. If not her than I hear Jordan may be available in a few months!

Congratulations to both

Good luck for the future

Trusted Member
    Congratulations

I will offer congratulations Slip.

But.. until you have met in person, please keep an open mind and fare with extreme caution. Just because you have asked her to marry you and she has accepted, does not mean that (at this point) that you are in any way obliged to support her or her family or extended family.
    The first thing you need to do is arrange to go and see her in person and see how the real person measures up to her online personality. I really hope she is for real, I hope all she has told you is for real, but... she is still not your resonsibility and you are not her or her family's 'cash cow' Do not make a rod for your own back right now.

Good luck.... but eyes open please.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post

But.. until you have met in person, please keep an open mind and fare with extreme caution. Just because you have asked her to marry you and she has accepted, does not mean that (at this point) that you are in any way obliged to support her or her family or extended family.
    The first thing you need to do is arrange to go and see her in person and see how the real person measures up to her online personality. I really hope she is for real, I hope all she has told you is for real, but... she is still not your resonsibility and you are not her or her family's 'cash cow' Do not make a rod for your own back right now.

... sensible, down to Earth advice, Steve!

Respected Member
    Congratulations! Your so brave doing that... Best wishes for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post

For Slip...I agree with Steve..
    Im also filipina and lets face it there are some people who are just not true..Just be careful especially that you cant tell people in facebook (ask her why cant she tell her family back in Philippines that you 2 are now engage)? So you both can change your status in fb that u 2 are now engaged. Not being paranoid but what if she have a bf aside from u, thats why she cant post the status change on her FB or maybe she's married back home... You know her better than anyone else here but just be open to all possibilities. Above all, I wish you both a successful relationship. Hope you both be happy. Good luck!

I should say she asked me not to say anything until she could tell her family. I have her Sister as a friend and she didn't want her Sister to hear about it first from a status update!

Since I made this post she has told her family and I have told a few people and although I haven't changed my relationship status on facebook to engaged, she has.

Off course I do take on board Steve's advice and Angellegwen's. Believe me when I say I will not be sending money to anyone. It may not sound like it, but I dont fool easily and even the slightest hint that something isn't right then I will not be going ahead with it.

I honestly feel she is for real......but I don't want to be left thinking about the one that got away in years to xcome because I was overcautious, sometimes you really do have to throw caution to the wind.......

Banned
    I honestly feel she is for real......but I don't want to be left thinking about the one that got away in years to xcome because I was overcautious, sometimes you really do have to throw caution to the wind.......
    He who dares Slip

Thread Information