Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

BBC documentary about Filipinos working in UK

Hi everyone,

I am a TV Producer based in London and am working on a new documentary for the BBC, which will look at British households through the eyes of some of Filipino workers. This is intended to be a warm, light-hearted documentary about British domestic life and some of the loyal, hard-working and caring Filipino domestic staff who help to run these homes and raise the children.

I work for a large independent production company based in London called Shine TV. We produce a wide range of television programmes for all the major broadcasters. This documentary is being developed specifically for the documentaries department at the BBC.

The reason we are specifically looking to film Filipino workers is because we will be filming part of the documentary at TESDA in the Philippines. As part of our research, I am hoping to speak to some Filipino women who are already working in the UK about their experiences. This is purely for the purposes of research and potentially and will NOT be broadcast.

If you are a Filipino working/living in UK as a nanny, housekeeper, cleaner or au pair, please get in touch! Or if you know anyone, please send them my details or send me their e-mail address.

My e-mail address is caroline.menzies@shine.tv or you can call/text me on 07939096703 or 02074836663 and I'll call you back to tell you more about the documentary.

Thanks,
    Caroline Menzies | Producer at Shine TV

wasnt there a post on this or similar a few months back, is it some sort of scam?

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Yeah I know..we got something like this before and never heard anything again..
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Same old thing as before. It will not get you many hits, and worthy of being called a spam post. Several have tried this before and like has already been said, they dont come back.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Would be nice if your documentary covered a wider range of filipino's working in the UK?
    The problem with a documentary's like this is it will stereotype filipino's in a lot of peoples eyes.
    Nothing wrong with being any of the above and i take my hat of to them for the valuable contribution they make to any country they work in.

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    wasnt there a post on this or similar a few months back, is it some sort of scam?
    Hi everyone, what an unexpected response! I can assure you that this is 100% genuine and not spam at all. Feel free to call our production company, Shine TV, or check out our website for other examples of programmes we've made.

This is a 1xhour programmes for BBC2 documentaries department and in response to another comment below, we are keen that the programme provides a balanced and unbiased view. We aren't looking to stereotype Filipino workers - in fact, all the agencies I've spoken to have said that Filipino staff are in high demand due to their unparalleled work ethic. I was also interested to learn that it is now very difficult for Filipinos to obtain a visa to work over here and this is something many agencies have complained about - they say that they have lots of enquiries for families looking to specifically hire Filipino staff but there just isn't the supply anymore.

Anyway, please rest assured that I am a TV Producer (feel free to google me for examples of my work) and this is genuine research. I would love to get in touch with some Filipinos working in the UK (nannies, au pairs, housekeepers etc) so please do e-mail me if you can help with my research.

Best Wishes,
    Caroline

Trusted Member
    I hope it (if genuine ) will also highlight the abuses and near-slavery conditions that some of these people have to endure...conveniently overlooked by our government.

It will make a change from all the documentaries looking for sympathy for our homegrown layabouts 'struggling' to pay for their fags, beer and drugs as single parents with seven kids.

Hard-working amiable Filipinos are welcome as far as I'm concerned, assimilating into our society and contributing in a positive way to it, as they normally do.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I hope it (if genuine ) will also highlight the abuses and near-slavery conditions that some of these people have to endure...conveniently overlooked by our government.

It will make a change from all the documentaries looking for sympathy for our homegrown layabouts 'struggling' to pay for their fags, beer and drugs as single parents with seven kids.

Hard-working amiable Filipinos are welcome as far as I'm concerned, assimilating into our society and contributing in a positive way to it, as they normally do.
    Actually, it will be more warm and upbeat in tone. It will look at how increasingly, British families are hiring domestic help who often become like extended family. The documentary will look at the quirks of British domesticity through the eyes of their home help. We hope the documentary will hold a mirror up to the British approach to family life and the domestic realm

i hope it (if genuine ) will also highlight the abuses and near-slavery conditions that some of these people have to endure.
    Hard-working amiable filipinos are welcome as far as i'm concerned,assimilating into our society and contributing in a positive way to it, as they normally do.
    ok ok you have found me out i shall pay em that extra 10p per week,

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCdocumentary View Post
    Actually, it will be more warm and upbeat in tone. It will look at how increasingly, British families are hiring domestic help who often become like extended family. The documentary will look at the quirks of British domesticity through the eyes of their home help. We hope the documentary will hold a mirror up to the British approach to family life and the domestic realm
    Frankly, I would rather see the balanced TRUTH...ie cheap labour for the nuveau riche and upwardly mobile, rather than some airy fairy 'upbeat' tosh, but dumb it down for the masses if you must.

The only reason most of these domestic workers suffer being 'owned' by these people (normally visiting diplomats) is because they are in poverty at home and most likely sending most of their pittance pay-packet back there to support their children and extended family.

Are Filipinos still in fact given visas to enter the UK as slaves....sorry, I mean 'Domestic helpers' ?

I spoke to a pinay DH today in Esher,I have met them in woking,guildford,quite a few in kensington,maybe post an ad in one of the Pinoy publications in the uk to cast your net wider?

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    I spoke to a pinay DH today in Esher,I have met them in woking,guildford,quite a few in kensington,maybe post an ad in one of the Pinoy publications in the uk to cast your net wider?
    - Really helpful response! Thanks

Check this out BBC maybe find some advertising medium for a broader audience?
    http://www.adoborice.com/directory.a...&categoryid=19

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Frankly, I would rather see the balanced TRUTH...ie cheap labour for the nuveau riche and upwardly mobile, rather than some airy fairy 'upbeat' tosh, but dumb it down for the masses if you must.

The only reason most of these domestic workers suffer being 'owned' by these people (normally visiting diplomats) is because they are in poverty at home and most likely sending most of their pittance pay-packet back there to support their children and extended family.

Are Filipinos still in fact given visas to enter the UK as slaves....sorry, I mean 'Domestic helpers' ?

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    Shine TV are ok, I believe they did Merlin and Masterchef, help Caroline Menzies if you can.

Thread Information