Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

london well away from those people up norf

Tourist visa to canada with ILR

I saw that it was asked two years ago but tonight the Wife and I were invited to Canada in May next year.

As most of you may have experienced you go oh yeah no problem then think oh crikey will the missus get a visa to go there?

So has anyone experience of getting a visa to Canada particularly with an ILR?

I can see the tumbleweed blowing past already as this post sinks to the bottom, regardless i will update you on our attempt as we face yet another application form yehey

From the links listed below, it seems your wife needs a tourist visa to Canada. There is a list of countries whose citizens are visa exempt.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Which part of Canada do you plan to go?

A Filipina citizen needs a always visa to enter all western countries (except the country she's residing if she's holding a residency card or equivalent). In term of visa requirement, it's always the Citizenship that must be taken in account.

Another important point to verify is she have the good documents to come back and enter again in her residency country... I'm always ... prudent in this (already saw people leaving without the papers and having trouble when coming back!). I remember 2 cases where the person was denied boarding and having to request a visa from the Embassy in the transit country...
    Best regards.
    Yves

Quote Originally Posted by beppe View Post
    From the links listed below, it seems your wife needs a tourist visa to Canada. There is a list of countries whose citizens are visa exempt.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp

Which part of Canada do you plan to go?

Thanks for the links already had a look at the Candian embassy in the uk website so it shows we have to apply for a visa for my Wife.

We have been invited to Toronto in may which the missus is very excited about.

On the Ca ndian embassy website i noticed thankfully that the Nations who may need further checks does not include the phillipines as that caused us a delay with the french embassy and come to thinkg of it the italian embassy

Thanks again for the links

Quote Originally Posted by A_flyer View Post
    A Filipina citizen needs a always visa to enter all western countries (except the country she's residing if she's holding a residency card or equivalent). In term of visa requirement, it's always the Citizenship that must be taken in account.

Another important point to verify is she have the good documents to come back and enter again in her residency country... I'm always ... prudent in this (already saw people leaving without the papers and having trouble when coming back!). I remember 2 cases where the person was denied boarding and having to request a visa from the Embassy in the transit country...
    Wise words sir a lot of us brits have taken a risk when our wifes transit though Countries. For example on the way over the Wife and i went with KLM so spent a few hours of a very early morning in Amsterdam airport if the plane had been delay canceled or whatever we could of had a big problem as we had no transit visa for the wife

Quote Originally Posted by andypaul View Post
    Wise words sir a lot of us brits have taken a risk when our wifes transit though Countries. For example on the way over the Wife and i went with KLM so spent a few hours of a very early morning in Amsterdam airport if the plane had been delay canceled or whatever we could of had a big problem as we had no transit visa for the wife
    This is not a transit in term of visa as staying in the international part of an airport do not mean you enter the country where you land. You never pass thru immigration there as UK is not a Schengen member.
    That's the difference with my wife who had to pass immigration in Amsterdam as flight to france is a domestic flight (UK flights from Amsterdam are international ones).
    And Amsterdam airport if far from the worst one to wait hours there, you have restaurants and can even find bathrooms to have a shower and change your clothing while being there. You have even a museum inside the international area (I would not say the same for Paris CDG...).
    Best regards.
    Yves

Quote Originally Posted by A_flyer View Post
    This is not a transit in term of visa as staying in the international part of an airport do not mean you enter the country where you land. You never pass thru immigration there as UK is not a Schengen member.
    That's the difference with my wife who had to pass immigration in Amsterdam as flight to france is a domestic flight (UK flights from Amsterdam are international ones).
    And Amsterdam airport if far from the worst one to wait hours there, you have restaurants and can even find bathrooms to have a shower and change your clothing while being there. You have even a museum inside the international area (I would not say the same for Paris CDG...).
    Useful info didnt know that but if i guess in the unlikely event that there was a major delay and stuck there long enough to require hotel stay etc which has happened to the wife and i at paris due to a major storm. We would have been stuck at the airport?

Quote Originally Posted by andypaul View Post
    Useful info didnt know that but if i guess in the unlikely event that there was a major delay and stuck there long enough to require hotel stay etc which has happened to the wife and i at paris due to a major storm. We would have been stuck at the airport?
    Answer is yes. Whithout a visa, you can't enter a country that require one, you have to stay in the international area. Your UK visa do not alllow you to enter a Schengen state. But there is always an immigration office in the airport (in Amsterdam, it's on the right of the immigration lines) and you have to see with them on a case by case basis.

Also if there's a big delay, you can always see with the airline if they can grant you access to their lounge.

I have in mind another example, Filipinos in transit in the UK where denied entering UK because they landed in Heathrow and had to get their next flight in Gatwick. In this case you must secure a UK transit visa as obliged to entre the UK territory (of course if you're not holding a UK visa or residency).
    Best regards.
    Yves

Useful info again mr Flyer. Luckliy my wife had a schgen visa for our trip to paris last year in august when the massive uk airport security crackdown was a week old.

After a few lovely days in paris we had the delay and an extra nights stay at a very nice novo hotel near paris courstey of CDg (smashing buffet breakfast there)
    We had already gone past passport control and on the way back out we didn't get my wifes visa stamped again for reentry as the staff were not bothered so the next day the passport control guy looked a bit puzzled but let us though once we said the flight was delayed blah blah. Im sure with the wrong officer that could have caused a little panic.

Thread Information