Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

using just cash savings as financial requirement for spouse visa

Hello folks
    can anyone advise me on a query i have which has been worrying me about the financial requirements to bring a loved one from outside the uk .
    just to tell you a little about my situation
    i currently dont work as i am a unregistered carer to my parents who have been ill for many years and i have been looking after them and been living with them since ,my dad has a back injury and my mum is recovering from cancer, basically i have been looking after them and in return i'm not paying them any rent or bills etc ,i have been doing this for several years as i like to care for my parents but before i did this i worked hard and i saved very well and took out some investments which i could cash in anytime if i wanted to.
    my question is:
    i would like to know if i can just use the savings i have and the investments that i could cash in as the financial requirement to bring my loved one into the uk if we decide that we are right for each other and marry. i have seen that i have to provide £18,600 but i'm worried about the other years that are required .can anyone advise me how much i would need in total if i can use my cash savings if i was to apply for the spouse visa so she can stay in uk with me indefinitely?
    i have investments which i can cash in but i am willing to as i have met the love of my life on a dating site and she is flying over to meet me in february but this financial requirement part has always been on my mind and made me feel worried .the lady i have met is willing to contribute to this requirement if we decide to marry.i do have my own place which we can live so will not be living with my parents once we marry.
    i know we have not met her in person yet but we have known each other for 6 months and chatting every day on skype and email but before we take things further i would like peace of mind about this requirement as i dont want to fall in love with this woman only to find out the immigration if we decide to apply for the spouse visa that they wont accept the cash savings as the requirement for the visa
    hope you can advise me

kindest regards
    beasy1

Hi Beasy and welcome to our friendly forum.
    Take a look at this link for a better understanding of the Financial requirements.
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary

My understanding is that if you are relying on savings only you must show £62,500 and this must be shown for the six months prior to any visa application.
    Seems you have a bit of time before deciding what to do. Tell us have you any plans to visit the Philippines soon and meet your Mahal.

hello and thanks for the welcome.
    the site seems great and friendly, wow £62,500 ! if this is the case i will have to cash in my investments but i think shes worth it as i think you cant put a price on happiness. i should point out now the lady i am meeting is chinese and not fillipino, i did try to search other forums but this one seems more friendly. i hope you good people on this forum can advise me still. the lady i am meeting has invited me back to china with her if we decide that we get on so we can spend more time with each other so we know each other more.
    thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by beasy1 View Post
    hello and thanks for the welcome.
    the site seems great and friendly, wow £62,500 ! if this is the case i will have to cash in my investments but i think shes worth it as i think you cant put a price on happiness. i should point out now the lady i am meeting is chinese and not fillipino, i did try to search other forums but this one seems more friendly. i hope you good people on this forum can advise me still. the lady i am meeting has invited me back to china with her if we decide that we get on so we can spend more time with each other so we know each other more.
    thanks for the link
    Good Luck
    When you planning on going. One of our moderators is living and working in China at the moment so you may get a few good pointers of do's and dont's from him.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    One of our moderators is living and working in China at the moment so you may get a few good pointers of do's and dont's from him.
    Did I hear my name mentioned

As always, no matter where your potential partner comes from, please be sure it is you she is after and not a visa, entry to the UK or your money.. so be careful, we do hear many horror stories.

So where in China is your lady? I am in Shanghai right now.. and freezing after just spending the new year in the Philippines with my family where it was lovely and warm.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

welcome, 6 months is such a short time, just be very careful in what you may do, just keep talking and if you can go and visit her, can get some cheap flights these days, it took me 3 years to get over to the phils to see my wife face to face

Hope your mum makes a full recovery Beasy Which part of china is your girlfriend from?I still have an "alien" travel permit I was issued the first time I went to visit Tibet when it was closed to westerners,incredible country if you ever get the chance to visit,I stood on huge sand dunes looking across at a massive glacier surreal place but well worth the effort to get there,hope all works out

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

This is why I hate this forum! It always tells me I've misunderstood everything and depresses me even more! I was always under the belief that every pound over the £16,000 savings counted, but now I find out that figure is divided by 2.5 :( which means even more savings if I had to go down that route! only another £26,500 to save then! Two years wages with no spare change!

i do have my own place which we can live so will not be living with my parents once we marry.
    if this is the case i will have to cash in my investments
    hi beasy i think you'll be fine to sponsor as long as you got the financial requirements and the accomodation..you dont need to cash it in as long as you can show that you've got it...good luck
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

..you dont need to cash it in as long as you can show that you've got it...good luck
    No, that's not at all correct.

If anyone has an intention to rely on cash savings, then it MUST be held in CASH in a personal bank account in the name of the applicant, their partner or the couple jointly.
    The savings can be from any legal source, including a gift from a family member or other third party, provided the source of the cash savings is declared.
    Cash savings MUST also be in an account that allows the savings to be accessed immediately with or without penalty.
    The applicant and/or their partner must confirm that the money, which cannot be borrowed, is under their control and evidence that it has been held in their bank account for at least 6 months prior to the date of application.
    Period.

Where the applicant and/or their partner is in receipt of income from assets such as property, dividends, investments, stocks and shares, bonds, trust funds, savings etc then this may be used under the category of non-employment income.
    This source may be combined with income from salaried employment, cash savings and pension in order to meet the financial requirement.

To evidence dividends or other income from investments, stocks, shares, bonds or trust funds you need to evidence:-
    - A certificate showing proof of ownership and the amount(s) of any investment(s).
    - A portfolio report (for a financial institution regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the UK).
    - Personal bank statements for the 12-month period prior to the date of application showing that the income relied upon was paid into an account in the name of the person or of the person and their partner jointly.

To evidence interest from savings:-
    - Personal bank statements for the 12-month period prior to the date of application showing the amount of the savings held and that the interest was paid into an account in the name of the person or of the person and their partner jointly.

Cash savings are NOT able to be combined with part (2) of Category B, salaried employment

Equity in property may also NOT be used

currently dont work as i am a unregistered carer to my parents who have been ill for many years and i have been looking after them and been living with them since ,my dad has a back injury and my mum is recovering from cancer,
    is it possible you can claim Carer’s Allowance for looking after them?, not sure you would qualify , but if you did

Where the applicant’s partner is in receipt of Carer’s Allowance or any of the following disability-related benefits in the UK, the applicant will be able to meet the financial requirement at that application stage by providing evidence of “adequate maintenance” rather than meeting an income threshold
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    is it possible you can claim Carer’s Allowance for looking after them?, not sure you would qualify , but if you did

Where the applicant’s partner is in receipt of Carer’s Allowance or any of the following disability-related benefits in the UK, the applicant will be able to meet the financial requirement at that application stage by providing evidence of “adequate maintenance” rather than meeting an income threshold
    Yes good suggestion.

The Carer’s Allowance is £58.45 a week if you look after someone with substantial caring needs.

You need to be aged 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for them.

Under this exemption you would just need to meet an equivalent income from allowable sources (after housing costs) at current income support levels of £111.45

Could be very well worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    No, that's not at all correct.

To evidence dividends or other income from investments, stocks, shares, bonds or trust funds you need to evidence:-
    - A certificate showing proof of ownership and the amount(s) of any investment(s).
    - A portfolio report (for a financial institution regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the UK).
    - Personal bank statements for the 12-month period prior to the date of application showing that the income relied upon was paid into an account in the name of the person or of the person and their partner jointly.

I presumed that his investments was either stocks or shares in that case he only have to produced certificates and not cash them in.

hi ,thanks for that ,shes coming in early feb or march, at present she is organizing her visa and shes planing on staying for 1 or 2 months and we plan on doing some travelling around the uk ,if all goes well and we get on great i will go back back with her to china to meet her family ,this will be the first time ive ever been abroad as i only just got my passport so this venture will be very exciting.

hi and thanks
    i have heard all the wise cracks and rumours from friends and family on why some asian woman marry westerners and hope that if ever i did get married to this woman it will be for happiness and love and the right reasons and not just a passport but i think in this life you have to take risks and hope it will work out ok
    she is from shenzen i think the weather in china is similar to what we have in uk rain rain lol

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    welcome, 6 months is such a short time, just be very careful in what you may do, just keep talking and if you can go and visit her, can get some cheap flights these days, it took me 3 years to get over to the phils to see my wife face to face
    hi and thanks for the advice ,we dont plan on marrying straight away maybe 1 or 2 years down the line ,we want to make sure we are right for each other before we commit .

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Hope your mum makes a full recovery Beasy Which part of china is your girlfriend from?I still have an "alien" travel permit I was issued the first time I went to visit Tibet when it was closed to westerners,incredible country if you ever get the chance to visit,I stood on huge sand dunes looking across at a massive glacier surreal place but well worth the effort to get there,hope all works out
    hi and thanks ,shes from shenzen ,we do plan on doing some travelling so i will certanly consider it

she is from shenzen i think the weather in china is similar to what we have in uk rain rain
    there are nearly 2 million Chinese Filipinos

i had a friend in Macau i very nearly went to see, but went to the phils instead
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post

hi, thats very interesting to know and worthy of finding out more about it ,not sure if they would backdate it ,if they could the amount of years i been caring i may not need to cash in

hi ,thanks for that ,shes coming in early feb or march, at present she is organizing her visa and shes planing on staying for 1 or 2 months and we plan on doing some travelling around the uk ,if all goes well and we get on great i will go back back with her to china to meet her family ,this will be the first time ive ever been abroad as i only just got my passport so this venture will be very exciting.
    good for you ..good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    I presumed that his investments was either stocks or shares in that case he only have to produced certificates and not cash them in.
    hi ,my investments are classic cars which i have owned for many years and bought when i was younger ,if all goes well i may have to sell them but if i did i would make sure they be sold after 6 months before i apply for the visa

hi ,my investments are classic cars which i have owned for many years and bought when i was younger ,if all goes well i may have to sell them but if i did i would make sure they be sold after 6 months before i apply for th visa
    yeah then terpe is correct , you need cash ...because the value is subjective.

can someone clarify these questions
    when i apply for fiancee visa do i have to show the money as to speak then
    also when applying for the spouse visa is it £18,600 i have to show or the full £62,500
    thanks

i think you better check and understand the financial requirements link provided on post number 2

i think you better check and understand the financial requirements link provided on post number 2
    hi i saw it but was hoping someone who could spell it out for me more easily .but as you say have to study it more

hi i saw it but was hopeing someone who could spell it out for me more easily .but as you say have to study it more
    yes you have to, so you should know what you are trying to do.

....well, we can only give you pointers and point you in the right directions...at the end of the day, its your cash.

Yes, as long the income only from those investments are used as non-earned income.
    The value of the investments themselves cannot be used in support of cash savings

also when applying for the spouse visa is it £18,600 i have to show or the full £62,500
    thanks
    Yes, you probably need to do some further research.

But in principle you need to have a minimum income of £18600
    Any cash savings above £16000 can be used to support any shortfall.

This very simple table may help you to visualise how it would apply to Entry Visa

Income Savings Needed
    0 £62,500
    (£16k + (£18600x2.5))
    £15,000 £25,000
    (£16k + (£3,600x2.5))
    £18,000 £17,500
    (£16k + (£600x2.5))

thanks
    remember with this fiancee visa you have to marry in that time too,

hi and thanks
    i have heard all the wise cracks and rumours from friends and family on why some asian woman marry westerners and hope that if ever i did get married to this woman it will be for happiness and love and the right reasons and not just a passport but i think in this life you have to take risks and hope it will work out ok
    she is from shenzen i think the weather in china is similar to what we have in uk rain rain lol
    No wise cracks from us Beasy just honest and good advice. Beleive me and others here, we have heard of and experienced the worst type scammers on the forum and anything we say will be because we need you to think about 'all' the outcomes before you get burnt.
    It sounds as though you are moving slowly and making sure you do not make a mistake and I wish you luck in achieving your goal of bringing your lady to the UK to be with you.

And to be honest, all the people who make the 'wise cracks' have probably never been anywhere or done anything in their lives and are just quoting the same old stereo-typical stories they have heard about from chat in the pub. Hold your head up and be proud of your Chinese lady, like we are all so proud of our Filipina ladies.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information