Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: BPI or Allied?

Respected Member

BPI or Allied?

A happy new year to one and all.

I am moving to Dipolog in April and I am looking at maybe opening an account with either the BPI or Allied Bank here in the UK. My asawa tells me they are both reputable but I thought I would run it by you guys and gals.

There has to be someone on here doing just what I want to do IE: have pension payments paid directly into an account in the UK then transferred cheaply and painlessly into a Filipino bank account.

I have used my Caxton FX Card on previous visits and it is hassle free and quite cheap but, I'm looking for something that won't have me depending on Lloyds TSB. Nothing wrong with them of course but dealing with them from the other side of the world is another thing all together.

BPI are a good bank. I use HSBC you can draw money from BPI ATM machines with no charge if you have an account in the Philippines. You will need to have an I-Card to open an account.

Respected Member
    Hi Jon,

Many thanks for your reply.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by jonnijon View Post
    BPI are a good bank. I use HSBC you can draw money from BPI ATM machines with no charge if you have an account in the Philippines. You will need to have an I-Card to open an account.
    Hi there! Happy new year! I was just wondering about the I-card you mentioned......is that an identity card? Im hoping to retire to the Philippines within the next 4 years, and ive been told by my pension fund company that i can get my pension paid directly into an HSBC bank account in Cebu. Will i need an I-card to open an account there or can i open one from here in the UK as i have a UK HSBC account already? Mick

Respected Member
    Hi Mick,

Firstly, it wasn't me who mentioned the I Card but for FWIW, I spoke to BPI Europe this morning re opening an account with their London branch and another with them in sunny Dipolog. It seems easy enough to do both and I was assured that I WOULDN'T need an I Card to open one in Dipolog.

I know this has no bearing on whatever HSBC stipulate but it may be another option for you. I didn't look at HSBC because while there are many banks in Dipolog, HSBC isn't one of them.

How are things in Bradford? I'm in Wakefield and I have spent many a happy hour in the "Kash"!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bigtilly View Post
    Hi Mick,

Firstly, it wasn't me who mentioned the I Card but for FWIW, I spoke to BPI Europe this morning re opening an account with their London branch and another with them in sunny Dipolog. It seems easy enough to do both and I was assured that I WOULDN'T need an I Card to open one in Dipolog.

I know this has no bearing on whatever HSBC stipulate but it may be another option for you. I didn't look at HSBC because while there are many banks in Dipolog, HSBC isn't one of them.

How are things in Bradford? I'm in Wakefield and I have spent many a happy hour in the "Kash"!

Bill
    Hi Bill! The Kash lol!!!!........ive been there many times myself but not for many years!!!!! Thanks for the info anyway - i'll enquire with HSBC nearer the time!

Mick, there will be restrictions on your bank account until you get an I-card due to money laundering laws. Talk to HSBC in the UK. As for the I-card you need to be married with a 13a visa or on a special retirement visa. Information can be found on the Philippines immigration site about visa.

Quote Originally Posted by mickmyrna View Post
    Hi there! Happy new year! I was just wondering about the I-card you mentioned......is that an identity card? Im hoping to retire to the Philippines within the next 4 years, and ive been told by my pension fund company

that i can get my pension paid directly into an HSBC bank account in Cebu. Will i need an I-card to open an account there or can i open one from here in the UK as i have a UK HSBC account already? Mick
    http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index....=114&Itemid=61

If you read the bureau of immigration site most of the information is there regarding visa's/ residence etc. If you plan to retire here it might be easier for you to apply for residency in the UK rather than deal with government officials here
    You can use your UK accounts to withdraw money here even without a I card. Not sure of the charges but im sure some others members will know.

Charges are expensive if you use your UK card as some banks will add a further 200 pesos to the charge just because you used their ATM.

Thread Information