Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    If someone actually made £110,000 selling the big issue then well done them! They are obviously very good salesmen. Earning this much as a self employed person they would have had to produce accounts and probably would of engaged an accountant. ....and YES consequently didnt pay tax or very little.

Given that most people ignore Big Issue sellers this is an amazing result. Selling this magazine is NOT an easy option and sellers have to buy copies of the magazine in the first place.

The most i have ever heard a seller shout is "BIG ISSUE" and as for looking intimidating I dont see that someone would deliberaetly do that in order to sell something thats going to make them a living.

Your right that the magazine doesnt attract the public attention and few people seem to want it, which is why being a seller is NOT an easy option or way to make vast sums of money. It does however serve to provide a little income to help homeless people get a roof over their heads.

There are people in this country less fortunate than ourselves that have to try selling the BI to try and get themselves out of poverty and homelessness. Faced with similar circumstances i would jump at the chance of ANY work to change myself for the better. Getting a job, particularly if you dont have a permanent address, is very difficult when you have few skills and during a recession when jobs are few.

I assume as your title is Les taxi that you probably drive a taxi for a living. Well by comparison i would think your role is a lot easier and more lucrative. A taxi driver just sits in a car all day, takes money and drives and in between fares sits and does nothing! Now let me see who is working harder?
    I'm looking forward to putting you straight on the above later

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Going back to the topic in question I believe having additional information added to databases (like recording nationality of claimant) means that the huge DB's need to be re-worked.
    This goes in the form of a change request with the outsourcing organisation (DWP use ATOS i believe) and they will no doubt take some time and ask for several hundred grand to do the work, test it and implement it, which is why it will take another year!

Having worked in some of these organisations I know how long these things take and how ridiculous the change controls are and lots of people have to rob the taxpayer some more..
    surely they should have had some fields spare when they design the database, just a matter adding a bit of code and sticking a label on the screen and selecting nationally from a drop down menu
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by tiger31 View Post

I believe the family tax credit is far too generous to start with encouraging people to stay at home because its not worth going to work
    Wouldn't say that exactly. Women who choose to have children - and it'd be fair to say MOST who marry do - ought to be ENCOURAGED to stay at home and look after them ... until their offspring have reached school age at least. That, for the most part, was the way it was when I was a child. Indeed, my own mother was ALWAYS at home for my brother and I ... and, in fact, only decided to go back out to work after we were grown up and self-sufficient.

So obviously, my father was the sole breadwinner in our household ... as was the case in the majority of families back in the early days of the Welfare State. Unlike nowadays - FEW "latchkey kids" back then - and I believe my generation were all the better for that!

Banned
    How about these parasites

They're the family with the Mercedes in the drive getting £42,000 a year in benefits. Scroungers?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2GwItgaql

If someone actually made £110,000 selling the big issue then well done them! They are obviously very good salesmen. Earning this much as a self employed person they would have had to produce accounts and probably would of engaged an accountant. ....and YES consequently didnt pay tax or very little.

Given that most people ignore Big Issue sellers this is an amazing result. Selling this magazine is NOT an easy option and sellers have to buy copies of the magazine in the first place.

The most i have ever heard a seller shout is "BIG ISSUE" and as for looking intimidating I dont see that someone would deliberately do that in order to sell something thats going to make them a living.

Your right that the magazine doesnt attract the public attention and few people seem to want it, which is why being a seller is NOT an easy option or way to make vast sums of money. It does however serve to provide a little income to help homeless people get a roof over their heads.

There are people in this country less fortunate than ourselves that have to try selling the BI to try and get themselves out of poverty and homelessness. Faced with similar circumstances i would jump at the chance of ANY work to change myself for the better. Getting a job, particularly if you dont have a permanent address, is very difficult when you have few skills and during a recession when jobs are few.

I assume as your title is Les taxi that you probably drive a taxi for a living. Well by comparison i would think your role is a lot easier and more lucrative. A taxi driver just sits in a car all day, takes money and drives and in between fares sits and does nothing! Now let me see who is working harder?
    Right Lordna let's take this in order
    I will try not to get to personal as I've nothing against you personally but I find you incredibly naive
    Ok regarding Big Issue seller who made all that money do you really think he paid out anywhere near what he earned?
    The big issue sellers pay for the magazines can't remember how much but say it was 60p and sold for a £1 he makes 40p at time-but remember most people especially the little old dears give him a pound and don't take the mag!
    I bet he declares that to his big issue supplier and the taxman (not)
    I heard one big issue seller swearing at someone as he declined to buy the rubbish,at the least some are sarcastic if you refuse.
    The whole big issue thing is a waste of time-what would happen if we all decided to give up our "proper jobs" and sell it?
    What would the country produce-who would make goods,put out fires,save lives if we all did that.
    Our roads are knackered,always rubbish to clear up,maybe form groups to ensure children walk safely to school-i'm sure grateful parents would happily pay a £1 for not having to get the car out every morning-plus it benifits the rest of us.
    I will never ever accept the big issue is anything more than a cop out,sat on a bloody stool eating a Marks and Spencer sandwich then getting a taxi home -unbelivable
    Right on to Les the lazy Taxi driver
    Ok here are a few figures for you to come and join me in my lazy dream filled day.
    Ok lets start with a decent car-couple of years old form mondeo approx £9000 plus kitted out to be a taxi another £500
    Now move on to taxi plate I have approx £11,000 at todays rates
    Ok now the cost of becoming a shareholder where I am now £18,500
    Right lets add on fuel per year plus repairs,crb checks,local council licencing etc etc say another£10,000
    Oh nearly forgot my rent to operate within the office £8,000
    Right thats most of my costs now Lordna do you think I can potter round all day picking up an odd fare and cover all my costs and make an operating profit and pay my tax?
    Luckily i work hard sit maybe 5 mins between jobs-sometimes not sit at all as we are the top local company.
    i work probably 6 days a week often 10 hours per day sometimes more.
    I have to contend with drunks,threats of violence,idiots,carrying little old lady's shoppin up 3 flights of stairs,people not being there when i have driven 5 miles,runners,pukers,drunk women unable to stand,blokes wanting to have a go,(even had gun in car brandished about)
    Much easier life than a Big Issue seller as you can see
    No car to day it was my compliance test and mot and a warning light came on due to faulty a.b.s sensor so no earnings today and probably not til late tmrw
    MAYBE I CAN SELL A FEW BIG ISSUES WHILE I WAIT

Quote Originally Posted by les_taxi View Post
    Right Lordna let's take this in order
    I will try not to get to personal as I've nothing against you personally but I find you incredibly naive
    Ok regarding Big Issue seller who made all that money do you really think he paid out anywhere near what he earned?
    The big issue sellers pay for the magazines can't remember how much but say it was 60p and sold for a £1 he makes 40p at time-but remember most people especially the little old dears give him a pound and don't take the mag!
    I bet he declares that to his big issue supplier and the taxman (not)
    I heard one big issue seller swearing at someone as he declined to buy the rubbish,at the least some are sarcastic if you refuse.
    The whole big issue thing is a waste of time-what would happen if we all decided to give up our "proper jobs" and sell it?
    What would the country produce-who would make goods,put out fires,save lives if we all did that.
    Our roads are knackered,always rubbish to clear up,maybe form groups to ensure children walk safely to school-i'm sure grateful parents would happily pay a £1 for not having to get the car out every morning-plus it benifits the rest of us.
    I will never ever accept the big issue is anything more than a cop out,sat on a bloody stool eating a Marks and Spencer sandwich then getting a taxi home -unbelivable
    Right on to Les the lazy Taxi driver
    Ok here are a few figures for you to come and join me in my lazy dream filled day.
    Ok lets start with a decent car-couple of years old form mondeo approx £9000 plus kitted out to be a taxi another £500
    Now move on to taxi plate I have approx £11,000 at todays rates
    Ok now the cost of becoming a shareholder where I am now £18,500
    Right lets add on fuel per year plus repairs,crb checks,local council licencing etc etc say another£10,000
    Oh nearly forgot my rent to operate within the office £8,000
    Right thats most of my costs now Lordna do you think I can potter round all day picking up an odd fare and cover all my costs and make an operating profit and pay my tax?
    Luckily i work hard sit maybe 5 mins between jobs-sometimes not sit at all as we are the top local company.
    i work probably 6 days a week often 10 hours per day sometimes more.
    I have to contend with drunks,threats of violence,idiots,carrying little old lady's shoppin up 3 flights of stairs,people not being there when i have driven 5 miles,runners,pukers,drunk women unable to stand,blokes wanting to have a go,(even had gun in car brandished about)
    Much easier life than a Big Issue seller as you can see
    No car to day it was my compliance test and mot and a warning light came on due to faulty a.b.s sensor so no earnings today and probably not til late tmrw
    MAYBE I CAN SELL A FEW BIG ISSUES WHILE I WAIT
    Well i didnt really think Taxi driving was that easy...BUT i did think my remarks would provoke a commment from you on what its really like. What i was aiming at illustrating is that youi probably know as little about whats involved in selling the Big Issue as i do about the work of driving a taxi.

I believe sellers buy at about £1.25 or £1.50 and sell at double that. Given that most people ignore sellers i guess they could sell about 5 or at best 10 copies in an hour. In an 8 hour day thats 80 copies a day or say 400 in a 5 day week. lets say they make £1.50 for each one then earnings could be £600 but more likely £300. Thats for a 40 hour week.
    Doing the figures thats not a bad income....BUT what i am trying to illustrate is they probably have to stand there a long time to earn a good income.

However it also shows you would be better off selling the Big Issue! hahaha

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    How do foreigners know what tax credits are? cos I don't.

Well i didnt really think Taxi driving was that easy...BUT i did think my remarks would provoke a commment from you on what its really like. What i was aiming at illustrating is that youi probably know as little about whats involved in selling the Big Issue as i do about the work of driving a taxi.

I believe sellers buy at about £1.25 or £1.50 and sell at double that. Given that most people ignore sellers i guess they could sell about 5 or at best 10 copies in an hour. In an 8 hour day thats 80 copies a day or say 400 in a 5 day week. lets say they make £1.50 for each one then earnings could be £600 but more likely £300. Thats for a 40 hour week.
    Doing the figures thats not a bad income....BUT what i am trying to illustrate is they probably have to stand there a long time to earn a good income.

However it also shows you would be better off selling the Big Issue! hahaha
    You know what Les.... I think he may be right!!
    If you could get the Mrs doing it too,thats 600 notes a week ...tax free!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Parnham View Post
    How do foreigners know what tax credits are? cos I don't.
    because many leaflets advising on benefits are translated into different languages, and i think they've taken all the questions out of the 'life in uk 'test now which had anything to do with benefits so some people are not aware.

you should not be able to claim tax credits unless your a British citizen or have ILR. those from outside of the EU cant, i know many hard working Filipinos who struggle with kids, paying their taxes but cannot claim ILR or any benefits until they been in the UK 5yrs, yet EU citizens can, how is that fair
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    because many leaflets advising on benefits are translated into different languages, and i think they've taken all the questions out of the 'life in uk 'test now which had anything to do with benefits so some people are not aware.

That's supposed to be the new changes, but they haven't released yet when would it start and haven't published new books for the changes yet.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information