Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

British Citizenship

Hello,good morning all! I'm here again asking for your help please... Thanks to God we manage to saved some money for my citizenship and next month I'll apply for it ...Please, could you give me the recent update about how to apply, cost and requirements... Many thanks!

Adv. Happy New Year 2013!
    Last edited by Arthur Little; 31st December 2012 at 00:54.

i take it your married to a Brit, if so..

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...tnerofcitizen/
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Hello joebloggs tnx for your help.

Congratulations onbeing able to apply for your citizenship. My wife and step daughter have just gone through the process. The application itself is fairly straightforwards when compared to the previous visa process. But still expensive!
    The only thing you need to be careful about is that on the day the Home Office receive your citizenship application you were personally present in the UK on that same date three years previously.
    So three years ago if you have had holidays abroad or have been working abroad then make sure that those dates you were absent from the UK do not coincide with the date that the Home Office receive your application.

Sorry I meant to add that "three years ago" only applies if you originaly came to the UK on a spouse visa (married to a British Citizen). It may be different for citizenship gained by other means such as residency period etc

for some reason i cannot open their website, what is the cost

I cant remember the exact price as it always depresses me when I think about having had to pay it! but fair play my wife took out a bank loan and paid half. I think hers was about 900 pounds, and my step daughter about 500 pounds. At my wifes citizenship ceremony one of her Filipino friends said she paid only 100 pounds back in 2002!

The cost for an adult (form AN) is £851

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...ality-fees.pdf

Hello Jenky,tnx for reminding
    @ also tnx Rusty

Yes it's pretty expensive, but well worth it and great value

When my wife was granted British Citizenship it cost me an arm and a leg.
    I'd been bribing her to study hard and well for that darn 'Life in UK test' with promises of a trip to Paris and a special LV handbag.

As it happened she also squeezed a new ceremony outfit from me.

Don't forget those little extra expenses of British Passport followed by Philippine citizenship oath taking to join the exclusive dual nationality club

can someone just clarify how long you have to be in england before you apply, and is it from landing in england ie Emma came here on a fiancee visa she landed 31/07/2010 we got married oct 2010 so when does the date start from if its 3 years in england

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    can someone just clarify how long you have to be in england before you apply, and is it from landing in england ie Emma came here on a fiancee visa she landed 31/07/2010 we got married oct 2010 so when does the date start from if its 3 years in england
    Yes Steve, unlike the ILR Emma can count the time spent here in UK as a Fiancee Visa holder towards meeting the residence requirement for citizenship.
    So in Emma's case from the date of arrival into UK 3 years
    She must also be free from immigration restrictions on the day she makes the application. (means she must have ILR)

thanks Peter, another very quick response

thanks Peter, another very quick response
    Hehehe, just got back from my sauna and saw your post.
    Now enjoying a couple of bottles of Heineken and waiting for Carina to get home.

your sauna, have you a sauna in your back garden

your sauna, have you a sauna in your back garden
    No

Wish I did.

Wish I could afford to run it if I had one

Hello Terpe, tnx! now we have to start saving more extra money for the expenses...

Quote Originally Posted by aug06_2006 View Post
    now we have to start saving more extra money for the *expenses...
    ... that's unavoidable ...

, therefore, to appear to add to *those ... but, only by a mere "drop in the ocean" - i.e., £66 [approximately] extra - in comparison to the naturalisation fee itself.

Allow me to explain:

It's very probable a city the size of Stoke-on-Trent will have what's known as a 'Local Authority Checking Service' which, for the "princely" sum I've mentioned above, will - as its title implies - scrutinise and photocopy, one by one, the documents you've duly compiled ... together with your application (including your passport, naturally).

This is all done on a 'While-U-Wait' basis.

Immediately thereafter, the originals plus your passport are returned to you in person and your application - along with the relevant photocopied material - posted directly to the Home Office at their expense.

way, you can relax - secure in the knowledge that everything's as it SHOULD be - the added bonus being, of course, your application COULD be dealt with sooner than you might've otherwise expected.

Easy-peasy ... and well worthwhile!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Easy-peasy ... and well worthwhile!
    Thus ... why not "start the ball rolling" (figuratively speaking) as follows:

Consult the Local Directory for the number of the City Council and ask to be put through to its 'Nationality Checking Service' in order to obtain a suitable appointment.

Do have your Bank details to hand ... as the fee for this service is payable at the time of booking.

However, the naturalisation fee - which includes the cost of your oath-taking ceremony - need only be paid for when you attend for interview. So no worries there!

Wise words indeed Arthur we have used that service at every stage using Worcester county council and it has served us well.

The UKBA however..............duly sent us our letter of invite to arrange a citizenship ceremony, so we phoned the council to arrange it and they replied that our names are not on their list and no nationality certificates exist for us! Further investigation reveals that the UKBA sent all the paperwork including the certificates to Wolverhampton council by mistake. I was assured that they were now in the post "recorded signed for" and a place was duly booked for us on the monthly ceremony service in ten days time.

Guess what? We both book time off work, I arrange to take the kids out of school for a few hours and the ten days pass us by and still no certificates have arrived.
    Finally after two weeks they turn up. Turns out Wolverhampton council did post them but did not put a stamp on the letter!
    In the meantime I complained to UKBA about possible fraudulent use of our certificates etc and that I had to pay £75 for a private service because we were planning to go abroad soon and could not wait till the next scheduled ceremony service. They replied that they were sorry etc but could not refund me the £75.

The private ceremony was good because there was no limit on the number of guests that could come, so a few of my wifes Filipino friends attended, a few of them still in the visa application process, so it was a good experience for them. Plus we got two glass paperweight gifts.

Further to this I then sent of my wife and step daughters passport application via the post office passport application checking sevice on a Saturday afternoon. I did not ask or pay for a premium service. On the following Wednesday morning my step daughters British passport came through the letterbox along with a first passport interview letter for my wife. That was done on the Friday and the following Monday morning her passport came through the letterbox.....So two working days for my step daughters passport and five for my wife including interview! Not bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenky View Post
    Further to this I then sent of my wife and step daughters passport application via the post office passport application checking sevice on a Saturday afternoon. I did not ask or pay for a premium service. On the following Wednesday morning my step daughters British passport came through the letterbox along with a first passport interview letter for my wife. That was done on the Friday and the following Monday morning her passport came through the letterbox.....So two working days for my step daughters passport and five for my wife including interview! Not bad!
    you must have registered your step daughter as British using form MN1 at the same time you applied for citizenship for your wife?, thats good going by the passport service, my sons just took a few days to, pity UKBA cant process applications in the same time scale
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member
    Just out of interest , i wonder if anyone knows about the 4 year marriage rule that used to be allowed?
    It was something like if you had been married for 4 years already and you and wife/husband lived abroad already or where together for the past 4 years then the wife/husband could apply straight away for ILR,
    My question is would this apply for the citizenship? if so as we have been married already over 4 years we could then apply for it as soon as my wifes ILR is done and we have finished that?

But i think they have now changed the rules for the 4 year ILR this july?
    I have older friends that married in the 1980's and their wives received their british passports as soon as they were married non of this ILR stuff for them, shame the system was abused so much as for the rest of us its so difficult and so many hoops to jump through now,

that rules is no longer, also you still had to pass the life in uk test

no it doesn't apply to citizenship, as you needed to have been in the UK at least 3yrs on the day UKBA receive your citizenship application

I wouldn't get too excited about it if I were you..The British passport seems to have lost a little of its old sparkle in recent years..

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    I wouldn't get too excited about it if I were you..The British passport seems to have lost a little of its old sparkle in recent years..

lol yes you got that right,
    in our case it just gives us the freedom of leaving the and returning in our time scales not the UKBA's , so if we decided to go away we dont have to worry about wife being away more then 2 years,
    its taken 2 years so far, be glad when we are finally free as lets be honest its not just the wife trapped!

Respected Member
    And also a thanks to joe for super fast response there!
    I guessed that was the case

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    not really
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...ee-travel.html

Is there an interview when applying for citizenship? And what are the kinds of questions being asked?

Quote Originally Posted by brian&maddy View Post
    Is there an interview when applying for citizenship? And what are the kinds of questions being asked?
    No interview required ... simply follow the instructions on the UKBA website.

Thank you for the response

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information