Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Question Schengen visa for Italy

Hello good day,we plan to apply for my visit visa to Italy end of January.we have read some of it in Italian Embassy but we are just worried if we really need to book accommodation and plane ticket b4 submitting my documents.im married to a british citizen,so what documents we need to provide?his or mine?(im working as well)would appreciate it much to get answers from here esp to those people who were able to get their Schengen visa,thank a lot
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart

Hi Leen,
    You are usually required to book an appointment with the Embassy and apply in person, with all the needed documents.
    Be aware that often holders of a Philippine passport may not be issued with the visa on the same day. Maybe you need to wait a couple of weeks.

Check out a typical application form.

An example of a harmonised form is here
    (don't use this example, use the one from the embassy website of the country you'll visit.

The visa issued is Schengen-C which is a visitor visa, it is valid for up to 90 days in a maximum six month period. The six month period commences with
    entry but cannot extend beyond the visa's expiry date.

The good news is this, if you will be travelling together with your UK (EU) spouse there should be no fee and the procedure should be simple and quick.
    (The European Commission expects under four weeks.)

On the form look for the questions marked "*" and read the note at the bottom of page 1
    Those questions marked with * on the form (employment,resources,itinerary, Medical Insurances etc.) do not need to be answered.
    The entire form is only three pages long.

Present your marriage certificate and your spouses UK (EU) passport as evidence of marriage to an EEA national.

Quote Originally Posted by Leen View Post
    we are just worried if we really need to book accommodation and plane ticket b4 submitting my documents.
    part ... I must admit ... it's a pain in the !

Tbh ... ... I'm still not sure if it IS, in fact, an essential requirement. Reason for me NOW querying it in this instance is because, when my wife and I went to Rome a year past in June, we DID make such arrangements immediately prior to visiting the Italian Embassy ... purely for the sake of complying with the instructions on THEIR Application Form.

Having said that, we'd been to Paris 15 months earlier, and the French Embassy HADN'T insisted on details of travel arrangements and/or accommodation being provided beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

The good news is this, if you will be travelling together with your UK (EU) spouse there should be no fee

Yes, Leen ... the Schengen Visa's a bloomin' hassle. But Terpe's correct ... at least it's FREE for wives travelling to EU countries with their British husbands and vice versa.

Hi Leen,
    You are usually required to book an appointment with the Embassy and apply in person, with all the needed documents.
    Be aware that often holders of a Philippine passport may not be issued with the visa on the same day. Maybe you need to wait a couple of weeks.

Check out a typical application form.

An example of a harmonised form is here
    (don't use this example, use the one from the embassy website of the country you'll visit.

The visa issued is Schengen-C which is a visitor visa, it is valid for up to 90 days in a maximum six month period. The six month period commences with
    entry but cannot extend beyond the visa's expiry date.

The good news is this, if you will be travelling together with your UK (EU) spouse there should be no fee and the procedure should be simple and quick.
    (The European Commission expects under four weeks.)

On the form look for the questions marked "*" and read the note at the bottom of page 1
    Those questions marked with * on the form (employment,resources,itinerary, Medical Insurances etc.) do not need to be answered.
    The entire form is only three pages long.

Present your marriage certificate and your spouses UK (EU) passport as evidence of marriage to an EEA national.

Thanx Terpe but do we really have our marriage certificate certified at the Philippine Embassy?so it mean also that we dont have to provide docs from my husband like his payslips and employment contract right?
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart

Quote Originally Posted by Leen View Post
    ... do we really have our marriage certificate certified at the Philippine Embassy? so it mean also that we dont have to provide docs from my husband like his payslips and employment contract right?
    ... NOTHING like THAT, thank God!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... NOTHING like THAT, thank God!
    Thanx Arthur but we are bit confused now....i get this information from Italian Embassy...

"Full birth certificate and marriage certificate issued outside the UK or outside Schengen countries must be duly translated into english and certified either by the Embassy/High Commission/Consulate in London of the country that issued the certificate / or translated into italian and certified by the Italian Consulate in the country of issue;
    - fully paid return flight ticket must be provided at the time of application for any kind of Schengen visa.

well we got no issue getting our marriage cert certified,we just dont want to book our flight without my visa just in case they wont issue one for me.we just want a vacation and it's so confusing now...

Sometimes these Visa issues can be a real pain simply because there's no option for Family Members of EU citizens.

Here's the Schenghen Visa Form for Italy

As I mentioned before please notice the questions marked with '*' and the appropriate notes.

The fields marked with * shall not be filled in by family members of EU, EEA or CH citizens (spouse, child or dependent ascendant) while exercising their right to free movement.

Family members of EU citizens shall present documents to prove this relationship and fill in fields no 34 and 35.

I cannot find any requirement for notarised documents, but I do know that many Embassy's outsource this visa work.
    I'm also aware that some Embassy's try to force you to pay for the Schenghen Visa. This is not correct and goes against the EU right to free movement of EU members and Family members.

Why not send a simple e-mail to the Italian Embassy asking them about your concerns and asking how they can help you with a Schenghen Visa in accordance with The Schengen Visa Handbook, as you are a Family Member of an EU Citizen exercising their right to free movement.

You should mention that you are expecting this to be issued Free of charge and within the shortest time possible.
    Also ask them the specific documents you need to supply with the application form according to EU law to allow the visa to be issued

Nothing to lose by doing that, and I'm confident you'll receive a polite and helpful answer.

Others have done this with positive outcomes.

Confirmation from the Embassy itself is always a good route

Sometimes these Visa issues can be a real pain simply because there's no option for Family Members of EU citizens.

Here's the Schenghen Visa Form for Italy

As I mentioned before please notice the questions marked with '*' and the appropriate notes.

The fields marked with * shall not be filled in by family members of EU, EEA or CH citizens (spouse, child or dependent ascendant) while exercising their right to free movement.

Family members of EU citizens shall present documents to prove this relationship and fill in fields no 34 and 35.

I cannot find any requirement for notarised documents, but I do know that many Embassy's outsource this visa work.
    I'm also aware that some Embassy's try to force you to pay for the Schenghen Visa. This is not correct and goes against the EU right to free movement of EU members and Family members.

Why not send a simple e-mail to the Italian Embassy asking them about your concerns and asking how they can help you with a Schenghen Visa in accordance with The Schengen Visa Handbook, as you are a Family Member of an EU Citizen exercising their right to free movement.

You should mention that you are expecting this to be issued Free of charge and within the shortest time possible.
    Also ask them the specific documents you need to supply with the application form according to EU law to allow the visa to be issued

Nothing to lose by doing that, and I'm confident you'll receive a polite and helpful answer.

Others have done this with positive outcomes.

Confirmation from the Embassy itself is always a good route

Hi Terpe we already sent email to embassy before asking questions here but they are not helpful at all.they just gave us the link provided in their website,might try to email them again...thanx for ur help really appreciate it

Respected Member
    I've just read this

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...y/index_en.htm

I am confused, is a Schengen visa still required for Italy if you have a non EU Spouse who has a UK partner visa?

Quote Originally Posted by Moving Forward View Post
    I've just read this

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...y/index_en.htm

I am confused, is a Schengen visa still required for Italy if you have a non EU Spouse who has a UK partner visa?
    i assumed so,...its not too pricey but a lot of hassle thats why i dont plan to go out and explore the europe unless i get a british passport.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Quote Originally Posted by sars_notd_virus View Post
    i assumed so,... its not too pricey but a lot of hassle thats why i dont plan to go out and explore the europe unless i get a british passport.
    There's NO charge, Mari ... but the whole procedure is a proper pain in the ass!

venice and rome this year i have promised Ems but may wait for the brit passport first

Respected Member
    Hope this will help....
    My wife is a naturalized british and i applied schengen visa last year for we will celebrate my birthday in France...
    i applied online for the schengen visa. French embassy has outsourced the process and they use TLS (not sure bout the name)... Since i am an EU citizen's spouse, its quite simple...brought our marriage certificate without any verification or authentication from the philippine embassy and her passport... That's it.. No charge for the visa.. We just paid the post for we want it to be delivered for we live far from london..

Respected Member
    I dont know thou if it will be the same for Italy.. I know you can use the visa on different EU countries but you need to apply on the Country's embassy in which youre going to enter first...if you're in a tour, then it will be the country that you will stay most..

Respected Member
    That's good news. Going off topic here a bit, however, for a French schegnen visa (just mentioned) a foreign marriage certificate should be authenticated by the foreign embassy is a listed requirement.

Also, whilst there is no fee for a French issued spouse Schengen visa, there is a processing fee which must be paid to the company which deals with the application.

Quote Originally Posted by Moving Forward View Post
    ....Also, whilst there is no fee for a French issued spouse Schengen visa, there is a processing fee which must be paid to the company which deals with the application.
    Any Embassy/Consulate that try tricking people into paying an agency for a compulsorily free schengen visa for the spouse of an EU citizen is technically breaking EU law, if that spouse is travelling with an EU citizen.

As family members should not pay any fee when submitting the application, they cannot be obliged to obtain an appointment via a premium call line or via an external provider whose services are charged to the applicant. Family members must be allowed to lodge their application directly at the consulate without any costs.
    However, if family members decide not to make use of their right to lodge their application directly at the consulate but to use the extra services, they should pay for these services.

If an appointment system is nevertheless in place, separate call lines (at ordinary local tariff) to the consulate should be put at the disposal of family members respecting comparable standards to those of "premium lines", i.e. the availability of such lines should be of standards comparable to those in place for other categories of applicants and an appointment must be allocated without delay.

It is an established principle of EU law in the area of free movement that visa applicants have the right of choice of the documentary evidence by which they wish to prove that they are covered by the Directive (i.e. of the family link, dependency …). Member States may, however, ask for specific documents (e.g. a marriage certificate as the means of proving the existence of marriage), but should not refuse other means of proof.

Respected Member
    If I turn up at the French embassy for a Schengen visa they will process it even after they try to fob me off with using a company that does it on their behalf? Is that what people here have done?

Respected Member
    Thanks terpe for the information...

I also found these in the italian embassy's website..

According to EU Directive 2004/38/CE, family members of EU nationals, who do not have the nationality of a Member State, but have UK Residence Permits issued by the British Home Office bearing the specific following indication: "RESIDENCE DOCUMENTATION Type of Document: Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National" will not need a Schengen visa for a SHORT STAY (up to 90 days in 6 months) in Italy if accompanied by the EEA National OR if travelling to join them. Bringing a copy of marriage certificate or proof of relationship is advisable. Any other wording on your UK Residence Permit indicates that you need a visa.

Please note: if the applicant (husband/wife/children/dependants of Italian and EEA nationals) is travelling ALONE (i.e. without the Italian or EEA national) he/she must submit all the required documents as an ordinary applicant and he/she is subject to the visa fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmg423 View Post
    Thanks terpe for the information...

I also found these in the italian embassy's website..

According to EU Directive 2004/38/CE, family members of EU nationals, who do not have the nationality of a Member State, but have UK Residence Permits issued by the British Home Office bearing the specific following indication: "RESIDENCE DOCUMENTATION Type of Document: Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National" will not need a Schengen visa for a SHORT STAY (up to 90 days in 6 months) in Italy if accompanied by the EEA National OR if travelling to join them. Bringing a copy of marriage certificate or proof of relationship is advisable. Any other wording on your UK Residence Permit indicates that you need a visa.

Please note: if the applicant (husband/wife/children/dependants of Italian and EEA nationals) is travelling ALONE (i.e. without the Italian or EEA national) he/she must submit all the required documents as an ordinary applicant and he/she is subject to the visa fee.
    Not many folks here have a formally issued Residence Card.
    Do you have one?

Thread Information