Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie (Restricted Access)

Marriage and visa advice required

Hi Guys. I am planning to get married in May to my fiancee. I am fairly certain i meet all the requirements for the fiancee visa, but we intend getting married in Philly. I then want to leave Philly within a week of getting married and bring my new wife with me back to England.

If i wait until we are married to apply for a spouse visa, it will take too long to process, so would it be acceptable to the authorities for us to obtain a fiancee visa, get married, travel to England on the fiancee visa, then upgrade the visa once in England? Or would you recommend an alternative route?

Cheers

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Fiancee visa is for someone who intends to get married in the UK. It would be better to get married then apply for a spouse visa. It would save you paying an extra visa fee.
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Respected Member blessed_ekim0826's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Fiancee visa is for someone who intends to get married in the UK. It would be better to get married then apply for a spouse visa. It would save you paying an extra visa fee.
    Does the procedure or processing of spouse visa is the same as fiancee or which is more convenient?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_steve View Post
    Does the procedure or processing of spouse visa is the same as fiancee or which is more convenient?

It's the same. The only difference is that if you go the fiance(e) route, you have to apply FLR(M) (which is technically the same as spouse visa) after you get married in the UK. It'll save you applying an extra visa if you get married in the Philippines and do the spouse visa.

Read more here:
    Fiance(e) Visa or Spouse Visa? Which is best?
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Thanks for your reply and i appreciate what u are saying, but i am trying to avoid having to return to England then have to go back to Philly to get Jessieka at a later date. So it would actually be cheaper to pay two different visas that get two flights.

My problem is i want to get married in Philly. We can have a much better wedding at a fraction of the cost and Jessieka can have all her family there. But then i will need to return home soon after to get back to work, and of course, i would prefer to bring my wife with me which wouldnt be possible if i wait until after we are married to apply for the visa, because of the processing time

Cheers

Fiancee visa as I said is for someone getting married in the UK. In the application for that, you have to show them proof of your plans in getting married in the UK. I haven't heard of anyone getting a fiancee visa and then get married in the Philippines and go to UK still on fiancee visa. I'm not sure about the others..maybe they can help you with that.
    -=rayna.keith=-

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Chicko View Post
    Thanks for your reply and i appreciate what u are saying, but i am trying to avoid having to return to England then have to go back to Philly to get Jessieka at a later date. So it would actually be cheaper to pay two different visas that get two flights.

My problem is i want to get married in Philly. We can have a much better wedding at a fraction of the cost and Jessieka can have all her family there. But then i will need to return home soon after to get back to work, and of course, i would prefer to bring my wife with me which wouldnt be possible if i wait until after we are married to apply for the visa, because of the processing time

Cheers
    I do NOT think it is possible for you to get married in the Philippines then bring your wife here a week after the marriage UNLESS you apply for her visa and get 2-3 days approval which is quite rare at the moment. Personally, I think you would be running out of time doing the visa run, CFO and all the other things. If you would really like to get married in the Philippines, she can follow you in the UK when she has her visa in hand. That's what most Filipino wives often do...
    UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

Fiancee visa as I said is for someone getting married in the UK. In the application for that, you have to show them proof of your plans in getting married in the UK. I haven't heard of anyone getting a fiancee visa and then get married in the Philippines and go to UK still on fiancee visa. I'm not sure about the others..maybe they can help you with that.
    I dont have any idea on how to show to them any proof that we are planning to get married within 6 months for fiancee visa, any suggestions?

forget your plan about bringing your wife back so quick it aint that easy i,m afraid .So count on a return trip or just let her fly to uk on her own to save you money.Things don,t go that smoothly here in the philippines trust me

Respected Member melovesengland's Avatar
    like what other members said bringing ur wife to the uk 1 week after ur marriage is too impossible.

fiancee visa are for applicant that intend to marry in the uk and then do an extention by flrm. you got to prove that u have intention to marry eachother in the uk.

spouse visa are for applicants who got married in the philippines of someone who are settled in the uk. also marriage in the philippines isnt that quick as what u think, it will take ages before they release your marriage cert which is the main docu that u need to submit to prove ur genuinely married.

just a piece of advise, do not rush things on visa. you might forget one thing and that might be the cause of your refusal. take time to THINK and REVIEW your app before lodging it.

I dont have any idea on how to show to them any proof that we are planning to get married within 6 months for fiancee visa, any suggestions?
    When we applied for my fiancee visa last year, we provided receipt and pictures of the engagement ring and letter from the registry office confirming that we were trying to book the date for marriage. Others have supplied bookings of cakes, place of reception, wedding dress etc. It's not a guarantee they would approve the visa, BUT it will show your plans and preparations for the marriage.
    -=rayna.keith=-

When we applied for my fiancee visa last year, we provided receipt and pictures of the engagement ring and letter from the registry office confirming that we were trying to book the date for marriage. Others have supplied bookings of cakes, place of reception, wedding dress etc. It's not a guarantee they would approve the visa, BUT it will show your plans and preparations for the marriage.
    We are not engaged yet, do we really need to submit proof for our plan for marriage? How about just a piece of paper with information if when and where it will happen. Would that be enough?

We are not engaged yet, do we really need to submit proof for our plan for marriage? How about just a piece of paper with information if when and where it will happen. Would that be enough?
    As what I've said, there's no guarantee your visa would be approved just because of a certain proof. You can only supply so much as proof of plans about marriage. It's up to the ECO/ECM to decide whether to grant you a visa. But the more you supply, the more chances of convincing them. Eliminating the risks of getting denied is the key.
    -=rayna.keith=-

As what I've said, there's no guarantee your visa would be approved just because of a certain proof. You can only supply so much as proof of plans about marriage. It's up to the ECO/ECM to decide whether to grant you a visa. But the more you supply, the more chances of convincing them. Eliminating the risks of getting denied is the key.
    OK Thanks very much. We will think about that.

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite
    Your intention to get married will be worth mentioning in your cover letter to the ECO. As it has been emphasized by Rayna, it doesn't guarantee a visa approval because every application is judged by its own merits. We did not provide any thing to prove our planned wedding (we didn't even have engagement ring!) BUT my husband mentioned in his letter a POSSIBLE date and place of the wedding.
    UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

In my opinion, i think its faster and easier to apply for a fiancee visa than a spousal visa. So when you're in the Philippines, its prob better if you get engaged then have pictures with the engagement. Apply for the visa and it wont take long as long as you have all the papers. For the proof of getting married, Me and my husband last June 2012 submitted an email copy of enquiry from the wedding venues here and ceremony schedules and fees, then we attached a written letter stating that we have plans of getting married once Im here and we don't have an exact schedule but a plan of when. Let say you apply for fiancee May or June, they assuming visa will be granted within a week (mine was granted 8 days after submission) the you can say "were planning to get married hopefully by the month of August or Sept. You need to bring proof of relationships when apply for a fiancee visa though, letters from friends, family or anyone who knows you two are in a relationshp. Cards, pictures of you etc...you can ask me questions if you need more details, maybe it will help if you consider on the fiancee visa.

You can get married in Uk in simple ways, then get married again in Phils once she is allowed to travel from UK to Phils, like me, im the only daughter and eldest of my family, I got married here in UK and we're planning to get married again in the future in Phils so my family can attend. Maybe my fiancee visa was granted in a short span of time (8 days) because were already 5 yrs and few days old in our relationship when we apply for the visa.

And applying for the visa, your girlfriend can do the processing on her own, its easy...Just ask members here if you need some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by angellegwen View Post
    In my opinion, i think its faster and easier to apply for a fiancee visa than a spousal visa.
    In practice that's not the case supported by statistics. The requirements for both visa's are essentially the same, except additional evidence is required for the Fiance(e) Visa in connection with a couple of issues including intention to get married.

Anyone being granted a settlement visa within even one month can be considered very fortunate.

The major disadvantage with a Fiance(e) in these days is that of having to apply for the FLR(M) visa after marriage.
    This is taking so very long to process by UKBA. There are thousands of FLR(M) applicants waiting for more than 6 months. In fact there are many members here waiting well over 6 months.
    During this time you are prohibited from doing any kind of work at all (paid or unpaid). This may not only put a strain on finances etc but also deepens those emotions connected with homesickness and being alone.

Food for thought anyway

very true. Im one of those people waiting for the result of the FLR(M). Do you think if like the relationship as bf/gf is short span of time like less than a year, its best to get married first? Im not sure but i think its one of the criteria on the visa assessment, the more convincing relationship is the time youve been together plus the other necessary documents like the required savings or yearly income of the sponsor, proof and so on.

very true. Im one of those people waiting for the result of the FLR(M). Do you think if like the relationship as bf/gf is short span of time like less than a year, its best to get married first? Im not sure but i think its one of the criteria on the visa assessment, the more convincing relationship is the time youve been together plus the other necessary documents like the required savings or yearly income of the sponsor, proof and so on.
    What matters is how genuine the relationship is (and of course the income threshold). Getting married is not always a proof of a genuine relationship, whether they got married early or not. There are scam marriages and/or marriage for convenience. As you already know, there are plenty of requirements that a couple must provide to convince UKBA of having genuine relationships. As long as the couple can do that, the risk of getting the visa refused is less.
    -=rayna.keith=-

true...just provide all the necessary proof and anything that you think can help.
    Always look on the bright side of life

......Do you think if like the relationship as bf/gf is short span of time like less than a year, its best to get married first? Im not sure but i think its one of the criteria on the visa assessment.......
    There is no specified time span criteria.
    The specified requirement is that the couple must have met at least once, and that the relationship is genuine and subsisting.

Everyone has different circumstances, which is why UKBA use an individual case-by-case basis taking account of all the circumstances of the application.

In my opinion, i think its faster and easier to apply for a fiancee visa than a spousal visa. So when you're in the Philippines, its prob better if you get engaged then have pictures with the engagement. Apply for the visa and it wont take long as long as you have all the papers. For the proof of getting married, Me and my husband last June 2012 submitted an email copy of enquiry from the wedding venues here and ceremony schedules and fees, then we attached a written letter stating that we have plans of getting married once Im here and we don't have an exact schedule but a plan of when. Let say you apply for fiancee May or June, they assuming visa will be granted within a week (mine was granted 8 days after submission) the you can say "were planning to get married hopefully by the month of August or Sept. You need to bring proof of relationships when apply for a fiancee visa though, letters from friends, family or anyone who knows you two are in a relationshp. Cards, pictures of you etc...you can ask me questions if you need more details, maybe it will help if you consider on the fiancee visa.
    Hi Angellegwen,just wanna know how u start the application for fiancee visa? Just confused...Coz at the beginning we're planning to use an agency BUT like what the people here from the forum,they've been encouraging us not to use it nemore for all the info's that we need are here and they've been a great help too...I just wanna know how to start the application and about the flight sched too? We're planning to start the ballrolling in march...Your visa was granted so fast! NICE....Good for u

Actually McGregor03 we were using an agent but it wasn't that helpful and there office is here in the UK. They just sent the documents my husband procures for the application and send it to me. Literally, I'm the one arranging it so on. Just check on the website whats the requirements they need from you and your gf then prepare everything. I put mine in a folderand fasten it. (one friend i met in Manila who works in an agency told me its better to do that so your papers stay intact and organize, less likely that the officers losses your papers) and I put sticky notes in every pages that I think i need somthing to explain.

Ex. There's a question there that ask if someone supported me. And i answered yes which is my bf. That time, I don't have any proof because my agent here in UK doesnt tell me that so on. So I got the receipt from the atm withdrawals i last transact for the payment (i hope u understand) because the atm is in my fiance's name. So I paste each reciept (got only 3 that time) and i wrote notes on the sides that this are the recipts from the atm of my fiance that i use so and so. Then the Bank statements that my fiance sent me, it shows there the money transfers from his main account to my atm card no (which is his and on his name). And thats where I use the sticky notes and wrote "this is the account of the atm i use which my fiance forwards the money. Pls see details of the dates and months etc" depends on how you explain things. I also provide pictures of us together and paste them in a bond paper with descriptions on the sides. (We were 5 yrs in a relationship b4 we applied the visa so i provided about 1 picture with u together in each year that he visits. Pictures with friends and families as well and I also wrote descriptions on the side of the bondpaper who's with us etc) Cards and letters as well and all the postal receipts i gather from parcels he sent me and parcels i sent to him.

As to the payments, there are choices there...I brought cash with me, but in case you will do the same thing. Pay it on the bank directly. Because if you bring cash to the embassy (VFS in Manila) they will collect additional fee as service charge). And have a photocopy of the printed papers before getting inside the VFS office.
    Any questions just asked. Hopes this helps you both

Quote Originally Posted by McGregor03 View Post
    Hi Angellegwen,just wanna know how u start the application for fiancee visa? Just confused...Coz at the beginning we're planning to use an agency BUT like what the people here from the forum,they've been encouraging us not to use it nemore for all the info's that we need are here and they've been a great help too...I just wanna know how to start the application and about the flight sched too? We're planning to start the ballrolling in march...Your visa was granted so fast! NICE....Good for u
    Flight? Ohh that I don't have any idea. You can probably check depends on what airplane you would like or where. I heard that plane straight to Cebu is more expensive than to Manila. Its up to you. yeah lucky, maybe they grant my visa because they made the decission i think a day before my husbands birthday. Just provide everything that may help them grant the visa and everything need so they won't have to ask for more. In case they (the people assessing your papers) thinks you need to supply more papers, they will contact you and asked you for more. But its better that you provide everything so you save time and makes their processing fast.

We even provide letters from my husbands friend who i met personally, from my husbands parents. The cards that they sent me.
    Good luck by the way.

McGregor03
    about the flights, try to check crystaltravel.co.uk website, maybe you can find a cheaper flight there.

You can start your visa application prep by collecting and gathering documents that are needed to support your application. That includes the main requirement that the UKBA stated on their website on how to apply for the visa you are aiming for. I would suggest for you to read and reasearch things first or browse here in the forum about people who succeeded on their visa apps. Hiring an agency is alright but like what members here said you have got all the info you can have for your application and it doesnt mean using an agency will get your visa approved. You might then lose your money if it fails.

Also, be aware that the timeframe for visa application differ on its case and reviewed by its own merits. Sometimes its quick sometimes its an agony of wait. If you are planning already to book a flight to come to the UK to add as docu then thats a BIG NO NO. Wait till your visa in on hand.

Actually McGregor03 we were using an agent but it wasn't that helpful and there office is here in the UK. They just sent the documents my husband procures for the application and send it to me. Literally, I'm the one arranging it so on. Just check on the website whats the requirements they need from you and your gf then prepare everything. I put mine in a folderand fasten it. (one friend i met in Manila who works in an agency told me its better to do that so your papers stay intact and organize, less likely that the officers losses your papers) and I put sticky notes in every pages that I think i need somthing to explain.

Ex. There's a question there that ask if someone supported me. And i answered yes which is my bf. That time, I don't have any proof because my agent here in UK doesnt tell me that so on. So I got the receipt from the atm withdrawals i last transact for the payment (i hope u understand) because the atm is in my fiance's name. So I paste each reciept (got only 3 that time) and i wrote notes on the sides that this are the recipts from the atm of my fiance that i use so and so. Then the Bank statements that my fiance sent me, it shows there the money transfers from his main account to my atm card no (which is his and on his name). And thats where I use the sticky notes and wrote "this is the account of the atm i use which my fiance forwards the money. Pls see details of the dates and months etc" depends on how you explain things. I also provide pictures of us together and paste them in a bond paper with descriptions on the sides. (We were 5 yrs in a relationship b4 we applied the visa so i provided about 1 picture with u together in each year that he visits. Pictures with friends and families as well and I also wrote descriptions on the side of the bondpaper who's with us etc) Cards and letters as well and all the postal receipts i gather from parcels he sent me and parcels i sent to him.

As to the payments, there are choices there...I brought cash with me, but in case you will do the same thing. Pay it on the bank directly. Because if you bring cash to the embassy (VFS in Manila) they will collect additional fee as service charge). And have a photocopy of the printed papers before getting inside the VFS office.
    Any questions just asked. Hopes this helps you both

Last Q Angellegwen You're from cebu right? Just wanna know where did u take ur english test?
    And thank u for answering my Q's, really appreciate it x

Hi melovesengland, I won't book a flight til i will have the visa, do I need to tell them when I wanna fly to uk or not? And how can u have a time frame for it, especially in setting a sched for the wedding.
    Ex. We will apply in march,and we will assume that we'll get married in july?or is it too long? And if we need to state,when I wanna fly to UK, will it be ok if I will say in june? or the earlier I will tell them the better?
    I know it's a bit confusing :s I just wanna make things right... sorry

Hi melovesengland, I won't book a flight til i will have the visa, do I need to tell them when I wanna fly to uk or not? And how can u have a time frame for it, especially in setting a sched for the wedding.
    Ex. We will apply in march,and we will assume that we'll get married in july?or is it too long? And if we need to state,when I wanna fly to UK, will it be ok if I will say in june? or the earlier I will tell them the better?
    I know it's a bit confusing :s I just wanna make things right... sorry
    In our application we stated a date when we want to to get married, just a rough/random date just to prove that we are really planning to tie the knot when I arrive the uk. It was supported by an email from the registry office and also a quote from the hotels and restaurants about wedding packages.

I flew 2 weeks after i was granted a visa and it took us four months to prepare for our DIY wedding which was more cheaper I suppose.

Its not confusing, its just a matter of balancing time and date to make it more reasonable and real to the eye of the ECO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information