Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Unhappy Urgent! Eea2 rc holder travelling to ireland

Hi I recently got my uk residence card as an unmarried partner of an irish national it says : FAMILY MEMBER OF AN EEA NATIONAL. We are going to ireland on friday and im not sure if i would need a visit visa.

I've been to ireland several times and have always applied for a visa this time though we got the rc late and we didnt know if i need to get a visa to ireland. We are getting different info... The irish embassy in london says my uk rc is different so i need a visa they said it should indicate FAMILY MEMBER OF AN EU NATIONAL instead of EEA national. But the ukba says I now have the same rights as my irish partner including freedom of movement.... I'm so confused we are driving to ireland on saturday and im hoping that the immigration officer would accept my rc...

Respected Member vernier caliper's Avatar
    Hi Grace.

Irish embassy is correct - you need a visa to be able to travel to Ireland. Attached link will give you further information.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en..._national.html

"If your family members are not nationals of the EU or EEA, they will need to apply for residence cards and may also need entry visas. There is no fee for the residence card. They will also need to register with the Garda Síochána and receive an Immigration Certificate of Registration (usually called a GNIB card). As dependants of an EU citizen, they will be exempt from the general fee of €150 for this certificate."

Hi. I'm married to an Irish national and I hold a Residence card. Last week my husband and I went to Ireland and the Irish immigration did not ask for an Irish visa.

Thread Information