Actually Ive not been that much of a gardener in the past but since living here its starting to become a bit of a hobby..
The biggest problem though is our location.. Rock island!! Not only that but we can have 3 months here with no rain which turns the clay soil here to concrete..So..The stuff that grows on its own with harly any maintenance..
Certain things like Bourgainvilla which are definitely drought proof make excellent fence climbers and they have nasty thorns..(good for exterior fences).. Easy to plant,easy to grow and maintenance proof,although I have read that I should feed them every now and then... "Feed them",I thought? What with? A piece of steak or what ?
Didn't they ever see day of the Triffids?

Pineapples..
Plant them and leave them till you get one of these babies!! Im sure I could learn how to care for them with different types of Fertilizer etc but why when the one below got exactly naff all?

Orchids..

Another really easy plant to have around as all you need to do with these things are tie them onto a tree with coconut husk around the plant base and fertilize them once a week in growing season.. Apart from that they are maintenance free!! This one we bought in the market for P 150.00..

Local roses

Other maintenance free flowers can sometimes be found on trees... This one is on our Chi chi tree..