Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Just New Here

Newbie (Restricted Access) Cagey's Avatar

Just New Here

Hello All

My name is Maricar but you an call me Mari, I'm just new here in this forum. I wanted to know all about in U.K culture and goverment.. etc.. hope some can help me to survive here in U.K.

I just arrived here last month, with the visa of EEA Family permit.. And im badly need some comments or suggestion if how can i get a proof of address quickly... thanks

cheers

Maricar

Hi there Mari, welcome here to the forum.

Hope you'll soon settle into UK life

May I very kindly suggest you apply for residence card.

Take a look at the UKBA webpage called How to apply for residence documents as the non-EEA family member of an EEA national

The application forms can be found at the right-hand side.

It's not mandatory, but will offer many important benefits for you.
    Be prepared to wait up to 6 months max.

Just to add to this:

- We went to my bank (Santander) to change my account to a joint account. This was refused as my account is a current account with an overdraft facility and they require any account holders to have spent at least the last 6 months in the UK.
    - The bank offered a standard account, but requires a PoA for this. Catch 22 #1.
    - We went to phones4u and carphonewarehouse to get a mobile phone contract, but as that would be paid by me it doesn't work either. For her to get a contract she would need a bank account. Catch 22 #2.

We informed the council and hope to get a council tax bill in both our names, but the council is taking a loong time.

We also applied for a school place for Cagey, our 8 year old, and got a letter from the admissions team/the council in reply. Not sure if that does anything.

Mari also applied for a NI number, but we don't know how long that will take.

The main reason why we are in a hurry is that Mari has a sort of job offer (1 interview for her dream job, and the interviewers told her that the job is waiting for her ), but needs to provide two proofs of address for the application to be complete. If we wait too long the job may go to another person.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Hi there Mari, welcome here to the forum.

Hope you'll soon settle into UK life

May I very kindly suggest you apply for residence card.

Take a look at the UKBA webpage called How to apply for residence documents as the non-EEA family member of an EEA national

The application forms can be found at the right-hand side.

It's not mandatory, but will offer many important benefits for you.
    Be prepared to wait up to 6 months max.

Mari can't apply for the residence card now as her passport (and only proof of identity) would be unavailable for 3-6 months. We need to register with a GP first, open a bank account for her and finish the application for her prospective employer first. For all this we need proofs of address.

This PoA thing in the UK is just crazy, especially considering that I get more bills for persons unknown to me than for myself. What a silly system.

Search the forum for some ideas.

If your really stuck, you could consider opening up an bank account with HSBC.
    They operate an account called HSBC Passport.
    It's set up especially for newcomers to UK. The downside is that there is a monthly charge of £8. There's an initial 6 month contract which is renewable monthly afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
    Hello All

My name is Maricar but you an call me Mari, I'm just new here in this forum. I wanted to know all about in U.K culture and goverment.. etc.. hope some can help me to survive here in U.K.

I just arrived here last month, with the visa of EEA Family permit.. And im badly need some comments or suggestion if how can i get a proof of address quickly... thanks

cheers

Maricar
    Hi Maricar and welcome to the forum

A lot of helpful input from other forum members already on how to obtain proof of address so take their advice.

Tish here BTW

Lots to think about, Mari. But - don't be "cagey" about asking for clarification on anything you're unsure of - we're here to help.

Meanwhile ... to our friendly, online filipino/uk community.

Quote Originally Posted by sm1971 View Post

We also applied for a school place for Cagey, our 8 year old
    It's just dawned ... are you Mari's husband, by any chance?

I know a pinay in Reading cagey,her names agnes she is originally from davao,she is a human dynamo,she gave up her business in Pinas to marry and come to the UK,the last time I saw her she was working 3 jobs and taking her driving lessons,I hope your transition to UK life is as smooth as hers

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
    Hello All

cheers

Maricar
    Hi Maricar welcome to the forum...you only need to get a GOOD husband to be able to survive here in the UK...with regards to proof of address , register with the GP,...Apply for NI(National Insurance),,,...and go to the bank after receiving your NI number and tell them that you want to open an account for yourself.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Quote Originally Posted by sm1971 View Post
    Just to add to this:

The main reason why we are in a hurry is that Mari has a sort of job offer (1 interview for her dream job, and the interviewers told her that the job is waiting for her ), but needs to provide two proofs of address for the application to be complete. If we wait too long the job may go to another person.
    ''before'' she apply for a job she needs passport and NI number in hand,...its the first thing they ask before she get hired.
    ''Don't be serious..Be Sincere''

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    It's just dawned ... are you Mari's husband, by any chance?

I am her partner, her husband is in Dubai.

Just a quick update:

We got some proofs of address:

1) School admission letter from the council
    2) I was able to get a second credit card issued, in her name (only found that option when going through the T&C for the card)*

With both we went to the GP who started the registration process (we did phone several GPs near us, all wanted POA before registering us).

@sars_notd_virus: You don't need a NI number to apply for jobs, your employer can arrange that for you (that's how I got mine back in the day, and the government website still confirm that). There might be some employers who can't be bothered or don't know, though.

* It's weird that one can order a second credit card for an existing account just so, without any PoA asked, while so many other things (with potentially less impact) need a PoA.

Thread Information