Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member marksroomspain's Avatar

Biometrics Help Terp, anyone!!!

I have just got off the phone to my wife and she asked me a question...she was told when she went for her cfo sticker that when she arrives in the UK she has to go to the nearest enrolment centre which is at a post office for something to do with biometrics between 3 to 14 days after arriving, this has thrown me a bit and I would like any input on this because I thought biometrics were only needed further for FLR help guys please...........

Quote Originally Posted by marksroomspain View Post
    I have just got off the phone to my wife and she asked me a question...she was told when she went for her cfo sticker that when she arrives in the UK she has to go to the nearest enrolment centre which is at a post office for something to do with biometrics between 3 to 14 days after arriving, this has thrown me a bit and I would like any input on this because I thought biometrics were only needed further for FLR help guys please...........
    Yes Mark, that information is correct.

UKBA recently issued a news item on that some time ago called Changes to the requirements for biometric residence permits

I'm surprised that your wife has not already be informed about that by UKBA.

Anyway here's some more information from their website about Biometric residence permits

If you read the info you'll notice this statement:-
    If you applied in a category that did not require you to enrol your biometric information and your application is granted on or after 1 December 2012 you must apply for a biometric residence permit. We will write to you and explain how to apply for a permit
    Not sure how UKBA will write to you, unless a letter was included when the visa was granted.
    I would suggest a trip to a Post Office providing that service

I'm not aware of any specific time limits, but no reason to panic and no reason not to apply soon after she arrives.

Take a look down at the bottom on the webpage and review the links there.

On the right-hand side under 'Related Documents' you'll see the UKBA PDF called 'Biometric Residence Permits - application process

Here's also something from the Post Office on Biometric Residence Permit FAQs

Actually Everyone who does not already have one should make arrangements to get one asap.

Just focus on having your wife arrive to UK then think about the Bio

Cheers Terp ur a gods send I will look into that after she arrives next Saturday just to keep in line with the UKBA procedures once again thanks......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Actually Everyone who does not already have one should make arrangements to get one asap.
    Except those in the Isle of Man evidently. And possibly the Channel Islands.

Except those in the Isle of Man evidently. And possibly the Channel Islands.
    UKBA state:-
    The Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Herm, Sark, and Alderney) and the Isle of Man have their own immigration laws and policies. For immigration control, we consider that these islands are outside the UK.

Banned
    The Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Herm, Sark, and Alderney) and the Isle of Man have their own immigration laws and policies. For immigration control, we consider that these islands are outside the UK.
    Yes. Of course. But a good bit of the Immigration policy is the same. The spouse and fiancee visa process is essentially the same. Its only when you get beyond that point that there is divergence. So their statement is a bit misleading.

Actually, one big difference is that we can get to speak the the Immigration officers directly and easily. And they prefer ILR documents to be hand delivered.

Hi thanks for your replies I have been talking on other forums and one lady in particular who is on the list of uk immigration advisers, she has said that for uk entrance clearance visa is not affected by the BRP basically if you have the vingette in your passport then you do not need a BRP but will do when you apply for FLR, maybe Terp that is why the UKBA have not informed her of that.

Interesting topic none of the less as usual the UKBA information is very hard to grasp who it affects and who it does"nt.

I for one are very confused

Hi thanks for your replies I have been talking on other forums and one lady in particular who is on the list of uk immigration advisers, she has said that for uk entrance clearance visa is not affected by the BRP basically if you have the vingette in your passport then you do not need a BRP but will do when you apply for FLR, maybe Terp that is why the UKBA have not informed her of that.

Interesting topic none of the less as usual the UKBA information is very hard to grasp who it affects and who it does"nt.

I for one are very confused
    Well, I for one would certainly agree that UKBA communication is very often difficult to follow.
    But............. and I say this honestly, even though I have no idea of the logic behind the recent announcement my recommendation would be to follow the UKBA directive and apply for the Biometric Residence Permit.

Actually Mark, it's no big deal to apply. But may offer significant benefits.
    Yes, legally your wife can enter the UK on the visa already in her passport without any problems or issues at all. Yes, she is free to remain in the UK for the total validity of that visa already issued.
    Just be aware that UKBA have something behind their directive.
    Maybe, just maybe, that Bio will be needed when applying for Nat Ins number.....Maybe, just maybe prospective employers will be required to see that Bio..... I for just do not know.

I can say that your wife will arrive and will enter and will remain. The issue for me is what is behind the UKBA directive? What barriers will become apparent during the immigration journey of your wife.
    Please understand I am not trying to panic or scare you, just that be very wary of following any advice that goes opposite to the directives of UKBA.

Why create risks? Why not follow the path of least challenge and apply for the Bio as indicated by UKBA?

Many folks here will tell you I always say 'minimise risk'. I stand by that.
    I'm the first to admit I'm not an immigration advisor.

It's your decision but why court potential dangers.
    Don't rely on quick responses from UKBA when barriers appear.

You decide.

No offence intended, just my opinion

Certainly Terpe my wife will follow any directives set out by the UKBA she would certainly be a fool not too.

I have read into it and it looks like it is being done for tighter security and you are right what you say that it does have to be shown to prospective employers also to the bodies that be so they can tell apart the legals from the illegals.

I for one think it is a good idea in that way it was just so many people saying different things, as you know I have always taken your advice in what you have said to me in the past on board.

To finish my wife said she will ask immigration on arrival exactly what she has to do regarding this matter.

Once again thank you for your input I really appreciate your sound advice.

Certainly Terpe my wife will follow any directives set out by the UKBA she would certainly be a fool not too.

I have read into it and it looks like it is being done for tighter security and you are right what you say that it does have to be shown to prospective employers also to the bodies that be so they can tell apart the legals from the illegals.

I for one think it is a good idea in that way it was just so many people saying different things, as you know I have always taken your advice in what you have said to me in the past on board.

To finish my wife said she will ask immigration on arrival exactly what she has to do regarding this matter.

Once again thank you for your input I really appreciate your sound advice.
    Here's my opinion.
    Your wife does not need to ask the advice of UKBA staff upon arrival.
    That will only create confusion.
    Just let her arrive and pass immigration as normal. There will be no issues or delays.

Once she is with you, go to the post office and enroll in the BIO programme.
    Be happy
    This will be forever your special day

Thanks Terp I will relay that to her

Thread Information