Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Frack Me!

Banned

Frack Me!

"About 300 environment campaigners have held an anti-fracking protest in Parliament Square in London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20568469

I reckon they should try it there first.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post

Time for another conspiracy theory ?
    Gazprom

Respected Member
    excellent !!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Just need to drill a pilot hole down to about 3000ft in Parliament Square and pump a few firs n pines per sq ins of pressure down there and then sit and watch the prime minister's face on question time to see if it holds. Might need to get some extra loo roll into the house of commons for the day.

Banned
    I hope the Police gave the demonstrators a big Frack Off pill

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    I hope the Police gave the demonstrators a big Frack Off pill
    Is it a case of its okay as long as its not in my back yard?

Nothing wrong with fracking, apart from very minor earthquakes during the fracking itself which cause no issues, all enviromental concerns have proved totally unfounded.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Nothing wrong with fracking, apart from very minor earthquakes during the fracking itself which cause no issues, all enviromental concerns have proved totally unfounded.
    So no objection then, to testing under the house of commons?

Banned
    This article gives quite a good explanation of the risks of fracking. It is only as good as the cement job on the casing that is run in the ground to line the hole. Cement jobs are notorious for issues and don't nescessarily last. It's just concrete, after all. Notice the bit about the Deepwater Horizon Macondo debacle.

"But if the well is not cemented properly, the gas leaks out into the other units, particularly drinking water aquifers, as it comes back up the well. Lots of outrage has been directed towards the fracking itself, but the worse culprit is a bad cement job (Faulty Wells, Not Fracking). Almost all of the TV spots, heart-breaking stories of homeowners, and burning faucets are actually from bad cement jobs, not the fracking."

Unless they get it right, I predict mayhem here in the UK.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamescon...od-cement-job/

The government is expected to release its plans on Fracking and Shale Gas this week.

"Also in the next two weeks, DECC will rule on whether controversial drilling for shale gas will go ahead in the UK.

Environmentalists say shale gas could become a bruising political battleground.
    "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20577302

I wonder who the posh boys will sell the gas to?

Banned
    I wonder who the posh boys will sell the gas to?
    Its likely to be explored for under license just like the North Sea. Various chunks of Britain are likely to be handied out to various gas extraction companies who will invest money in the whole affair. Some are more likely to do well out of it than others.

Then, according to the BBC ....

" Mr Osborne has talked of wanting the UK to become a gas "hub", bringing gas into Europe.

It remains to be seen if Frack Gas brings down gas prices. That depends a lot on how easy or difficult it is to get out of the ground, safely. Being able to get it out of the ground on the one hand and getting out of the ground easily and safely on the other hand, is what it all rests on.

Banned
    Let’s get fracking, and slash our gas bills

Looks like there is optimism on this....George Osbourne set to give it the thumbs up.

"As part of today’s Autumn Statement, George Osborne is expected to approve the building of 30 gas-fired power stations, simplify the regulatory process for fracking and provide tax breaks for shale gas production in Lancashire as early as next year. This is good news for Lancashire, for the British economy, for manufacturing firms and for the global environment.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ene...as-bills.html#

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    ......the gas leaks out into the other units, particularly drinking water aquifers, as it comes back up the well. Lots of outrage has been directed towards the fracking itself, but the worse culprit is a bad cement job (Faulty Wells, Not Fracking). Almost all of the TV spots, heart-breaking stories of homeowners, and burning faucets are actually from bad cement jobs, not the fracking."
    You do know not one bit of evidence exists about this? Aquifiers are only in the top 10% of the drill hole. However plenty of evidence proves that none of these stories are a result of fracking. The burning faucet story was found to be natural methane in the aquifer. The people putting these stories about are just using passed on information with no solid basis of proof.

Banned
    You do know not one bit of evidence exists about this? Aquifiers are only in the top 10% of the drill hole. However plenty of evidence proves that none of these stories are a result of fracking. The burning faucet story was found to be natural methane in the aquifer. The people putting these stories about are just using passed on information with no solid basis of proof.
    What I do know is that to fracture shale a lot of pressure is required. That pressure is sufficient to exploit a weak cement job and find its way to surface (or into aquifers). There have been a number of well documented examples of pressure in a well getting to surface from deep down, including the Maconda well and the Ocean Odyssey disaster some years back where weak cement jobs have been partly to blame. The Maconda well was a lot deeper than any of these proposed frack jobs in the UK.

If Fracking is handled well it can and will work but safe procedures are required to ensure that.

Another area for concern is the local geology in any region. Faulting will also provide potential conduits to surface.

Its actually great for me as Fracking will provide more work in the hydrocarbon industry but that doesn't stop me from forseeing fun and games for some folk in the future.

I am glad I am not living on top of the Bowland Shale formation.

3 areas for potential failure:

Poor cement jobs.

Faulted geology.

Poor procedures.

You can't compare deep sea wells with fracking wells, completely different pressures, materials, and techniques used. Not one issue has been found with fracking, and it is virtually impossible for any gas from 1-6km down to get into an aquifer about 100m down. It's a lot safer enviromentally and for human life than coal mining.

Banned
    You can't compare deep sea wells with fracking wells, completely different pressures, materials, and techniques used. Not one issue has been found with fracking, and it is virtually impossible for any gas from 1-6km down to get into an aquifer about 100m down. It's a lot safer enviromentally and for human life than coal mining.
    I have been on wells offshore where fracking has been carried out and at depths not dissimilar to onshore. And at pressures rather similar to those required to frac onshore. Its the same technique. Using downhole gauges I used to measure the pressures that were pumped down to fracture the formation.

Where do you feel the significant dissimilarities are? Which materials do you feel are significantly different? The key "ingredient" here is fluid pressure.

The key difference between onshore and offshore is that people who live onshore will be affected directly by any environmental contamination. Offshore, for obvious reasons it can go relatively undetected unless hydrocarbons come to surface in large quantities. However a blowout offshore is a bit more obvious than aquifer contamination onshore making it harder to prove.

We shall see. I foresee fun and games ahead.

Whether onshore or offshore it is entirely possible for fluids from 1 to 6km down to reach the surface and yes, contaminate any aquifer, if there is nothing to seal the pressures in down below.

I dont think I will question you on this one lastlid.

Banned
    Department of Unconventional Gas

The UK government has opened up a new department, while maintaining a ban on shale gas.

See recent Fil UK thread on the topic.

Banned
    Department of Unconventional Gas

The UK government has opened up a new department, while maintaining a ban on shale gas exploration.

See recent Fil UK thread on the topic.

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ver-to-forget?

Thread Information