Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Banned

Bread that lasts for 60 days could cut food waste

I guess it certainly might, but how would it taste and how healthy would it be?

"An American company has developed a technique that it says can make bread stay mould-free for 60 days.

The bread is zapped in a sophisticated microwave array which kills the spores that cause the problem.

The company claims it could significantly reduce the amount of wasted bread - in the UK alone, almost a third of loaves purchased.

The technique can also be used with a wide range of foods including fresh turkey and many fruits and vegetables.

World of waste
    Food waste is a massive problem in most developed countries. In the US, figures released this year suggest that the average American family throws away 40% of the food they purchase - which adds up to $165bn (£102bn) annually.

Bread is a major culprit, with 32% of loaves purchased in the UK thrown out as waste when they could be eaten, according to figures from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).
    "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20540758

Not good news for the pigeons

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post

Or the ducks, for that matter.

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar
    Would be good if it works. As I live on my own, by the time I get to the end of a loaf it's quite often gone dry or mouldy. I've bought loaves before that have gone mouldy only around 2 days after buying it!

Trusted Member
    There is NO food wasted in my house.

Extra bread goes in the freezer.

Actually I bought a massive bag of those little soup bread roll things ('Pan de sal' in the Phils) for about 15p on the reduced shelf...ate a few and then froze the rest (about 20 of them left).

Now normally you revive such things in a proper oven, but I thought I'd just give some a couple of mins in the microwave, and have to say...they came out perfect. Fresh-tasting and crunchy on the outside.

Also I buy toasty loaves from the 'reduced' shelf every week for freezing, and then straight into the toaster as and when needed. Perfect toast.

No excuse for chucking food out when you have a freezer.

Whenever I read this sort of story, I think of the movie "28 days later". If you haven't seen it, the food which lasts isn't the organic rubbish - it's the fruit which has been irradiated to stay fresh.

I tend not to have too many problems with loaves though. I like to make toast first thing in the morning, and I just get slices out straight from the freezer.

I have been making our bread for the last couple of years, by hand, not with a bread maker, its very easy just a bit time consuming. It can last for up to 4-5 days before it gets to dry but its never gone mouldy, yet bought bread seemed to go mouldy pretty quickly.
    Love the smell of fresh bread.

yeah bought bread goes mouldy rather than stale, its probably the crap they put in it,

this 60 day life bread, how can they know its not bad for health in the long term,

no wonder we're not a healthy nation
    consumers are just guinea pigs,

Trusted Member
    In connection with my previous (smug) post I have some bad news to report:

Reading this thread gave me an appetite for some nice fresh crusty Pan de Sal last night, so I hurried to the freezer and put the last couple of tasty-looking little frozen rolls into the microwave, salivating slightly at the prospect of my warm supper, soon to be dripping with butter and Marmite.

I whizzed the dial round to 2 mins and waited patiently.

After a while black acrid smoke started to fill the kitchen and soon a small flame appeared from behind the glass. I hurriedly took out the two small blackened boulders....and decided to have an Oatie biscuit instead.

So, to sum up...please only put your frozen rolls in for 30 secs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post

this 60 day life bread, how can they know its not bad for health in the long term,
    Well, thats it. It will probably last forever but will give us some health issues along the way.

I'm a fresh bread lover
    Also really love that Philippine Pan de sal. Always worth an early morning visit to the local bakery Hmmmm

Not much time for searching on this trip but still couldn't find any decent bread
    there (except for the Pan de sal).

Trusted Member
    I love the Pan De Sal there too...and so cheap.

...Been meaning to wish you a happy birthday and a welcome back too Peter.

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    There is NO food wasted in my house.

Extra bread goes in the freezer.

Actually I bought a massive bag of those little soup bread roll things ('Pan de sal' in the Phils) for about 15p on the reduced shelf...ate a few and then froze the rest (about 20 of them left).

Now normally you revive such things in a proper oven, but I thought I'd just give some a couple of mins in the microwave, and have to say...they came out perfect. Fresh-tasting and crunchy on the outside.

Also I buy toasty loaves from the 'reduced' shelf every week for freezing, and then straight into the toaster as and when needed. Perfect toast.

No excuse for chucking food out when you have a freezer.
    We do the same thing too here..not just bread but even rice and my Filipino dishes..If in case we fail to put the rest of the bread in freezer, the birds would be having a feast. I don't think it's a waste though as other living creatures would eat it Although I find it funny that these animals don't eat rice, when back in the Philippines, birds, cats, dogs, rats, etc. would..haha
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    Although I find it funny that these animals don't eat rice, when back in the Philippines, birds, cats, dogs, rats, etc. would..haha

Obviously we would pay the price if this bread ever come onto the market. It would push the price up immensely. The moral to this story is. Use your loaf.

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raynaputi View Post
    We do the same thing too here..not just bread but even rice and my Filipino dishes..If in case we fail to put the rest of the bread in freezer, the birds would be having a feast. I don't think it's a waste though as other living creatures would eat it Although I find it funny that these animals don't eat rice, when back in the Philippines, birds, cats, dogs, rats, etc. would..haha
    I always feed the birds in my garden throughout the winter, and also have a big birdbath for them that I make sure is kept clear of ice. Our little friends need all the help they can get .

Admin's Assistant ^_^ raynaputi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    I always feed the birds in my garden throughout the winter, and also have a big birdbath for them that I make sure is kept clear of ice. Our little friends need all the help they can get .
    We also have bird feeders in the garden, full of peanuts, and bowl full of water.. got a feeder for the squirrels too, although I haven't seen them lately and their feeder's still full
    -=rayna.keith=-
    ...When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Obviously we would pay the price if this bread ever come onto the market. It would push the price up immensely. The moral to this story is. Use your loaf.
    Butter watch out then!

It sounds like it will be more plastic than bread

I freeze mine as soon as I have it home, always good then
    Mick.

Thread Information