Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

1 in 7 Brits want to move abroad for lower living costs

One in seven British citizens living overseas said they would stay abroad for "the favourable cost of living" according to a new report conducted by the Home Office with the majority of British migrants "making a lifestyle choice" rather than moving primarily for work.

read more here .. http://www.themovechannel.com/news/127f4332-0a9d/
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Trusted Member
    Nice if you're rich enough have a choice I suppose.

i total agree, to move abroad the place has to be cheaper for me to live , france what a fantastic place to live , not so long ago that was where i was looking at buying, but the way the pound and the euro are i could not affore to live there, with my future savings and this and that, the phils is the number one choice for me, all being well we shall live well there if all the plans work well

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    i total agree, to move abroad the place has to be cheaper for me to live , france what a fantastic place to live , not so long ago that was where i was looking at buying, but the way the pound and the euro are i could not affore to live there, with my future savings and this and that, the phils is the number one choice for me, all being well we shall live well there if all the plans work well
    Love to live in France if there were no French there

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    Yes. Great place France. Shame about the French....

Trusted Member
    My brother has a nice house in Tunbridge Wells AND a house in France....both paid for. Rich barsteward.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    nothing wrong with the french, other then those that live in the big cities, they are most proberly just like many of us in big cities, now get yourself into the country and its a differant story

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    My brother has a nice house in Tunbridge Wells AND a house in France....both paid for. Rich barsteward.
    do you have the chance to have the use of both

Trusted Member
    Nah...too proud to ask I suppose.

He's also had some pretty nice pads in the various countries where he's been a Consul, First Secretary or High Commissioner, but usually not the sort of places I particularly wanted to visit.

Shame he never got sent to Manila.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Nice if you're rich enough have a choice I suppose.
    Exactly.

Used to read regular features in papers such as the Telegraph, they would often run a story about someone who decided to "downsize", lead a more simpler life because the poor lamb was "stressed" in their high paid job, and now was happily living in some rural village selling aromatherapy. Oh I'm now only earning 17k maybe, but I am better for it.

Oh cry me a river of tears! Stressed you say? Try living like the majority. 17k is a dream wage for many, who work really long hours in far more stressful jobs, just to make a half ok living.

Easy to downsize if you're overpaid to begin with

ps anyone wanting to move abroad for cheaper living costs, really needs to get out of the Eurozone. Would have thought France was one of the last places to go to.

I know - what about Romania

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    ps anyone wanting to move abroad for cheaper living costs, really needs to get out of the Eurozone. Would have thought France was one of the last places to go to.

I know - what about Romania

Dedworth?

Ded has a life ban in Romainia

Seriously though, it all depends on your expected lifestyle. You can go and live anywhere in the world and spend the same each month as in the Uk. In Phils I have a nice little home, I have a nice tv and an internet connection. I have the luxury of a small car and use of a little motorbike. But other than those trappings, my life there can be very simple. Food is cheap in the market, and life is simple, just what I wanted. My family are content to live like this although I bring a little more security to the family.

We all pee and moan about life in the Uk, and I for one made it out... hopefully for good, I am the 1 in 7. Not easy to make the break though, it is a jump made with both feet first.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post

Seriously though, it all depends on your expected lifestyle. You can go and live anywhere in the world and spend the same each month as in the Uk. In Phils I have a nice little home, I have a nice tv and an internet connection. I have the luxury of a small car and use of a little motorbike. But other than those trappings, my life there can be very simple. Food is cheap in the market, and life is simple, just what I wanted. My family are content to live like this although I bring a little more security to the family.

We all pee and moan about life in the Uk, and I for one made it out... hopefully for good, I am the 1 in 7. Not easy to make the break though, it is a jump made with both feet first.
    first of all Steve can i say, what a great picture of Vincent with his proper haircut, you are very lucky steve in what you have yes hard work and some luck but it was down to your to find the luck, what you have in the phils is more then i could every dream of, but half of what you have i would be a very happy man, nearly there , just keep my head down and my mouth shut and the time will come sooner then i thought

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post

Thankfully

Maybe I am wrong but this is my view. Like Iana I am on a average wage. It seems to me balanced with the cost of living here and a average wage we are not much better off than a filipino on a average wage. All this bull about £30000 + being a average wage is nonesense. Maybe in London yes but not up north. The only advantage here is free healthcare and benefits. This is just my view.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Thankfully
    Cheap though. You would be a mug to pay more.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Cheap though. You would be a mug to pay more.
    Romania is a prime example of a mug destination - I see they are flogging their cars here now, ideal for a quick getaway from the last skimmed ATM machine

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Romania is a prime example of a mug destination - I see they are flogging their cars here now, ideal for a quick getaway from the last skimmed ATM machine
    Are you saying that the cheapest option isn't always the best one?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    Are you saying that the cheapest option isn't always the best one?
    Yes - I forgot to preface my post with the words "In this instance the cheapest option isn't the best option"

Thanks for pointing this out

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Maybe I am wrong but this is my view. Like Iana I am on a average wage. It seems to me balanced with the cost of living here and a average wage we are not much better off than a filipino on a average wage. All this bull about £30000 + being a average wage is nonesense. Maybe in London yes but not up north. The only advantage here is free healthcare and benefits. This is just my view.
    the average wage as they say is ok if there is two earning that much, but in many cases there is just the one, dont know about any free benifits that comes myway, but some one will poit them out to me, best bet is to save what you can and have that picture on your wall where you want to be in the future

Thread Information