Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Pros and Cons of Being Dual National..( are there cons though?)

Hello all!! Hope all is well!

I just want to ask if it'll be worth it to apply for dual nationality or just don't bother yet especially we're not planning to retire yet in Philippines for the next 20-30 years there, just visit/holidays only..Well maybe, if we'll win the lottery

Also I'm pregnant now and will be due nxt year February. Does it mean my baby will be full British
    and will not be dual, even though I'm a natural born Filipino?

I have some Filipino friends here locally, I think only one did the dual thingy, all others remain to be Naturalized British.

So I just wanna know what the lovely people here in the forum think about dual nationality..
    Also, having two passports, which one to use in and out the airport considering it's all computer based now..

Thanks a million!!!

Newbie (Restricted Access) SMBurgess's Avatar
    if your baby is born in UK he will acquire british citizen by birth and i think you can apply for dual citizenship.my baby was born in philippines and i dont know how to get him a dual passport. does anyone know how?

Your baby can have dual nationality if you are a natural born filipina. No need to do it yet as you will end up having to pay for a new Philippine passport every 5 years. That's unless you win the lottery

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Your baby can have dual nationality if you are a natural born filipina. No need to do it yet as you will end up having to pay for a new Philippine passport every 5 years. That's unless you win the lottery
    On second thoughts i would registrar your baby at the Philippine consulate as it will probably safe a lot of paperwork at a later date.

Trusted Member
    If born in the UK your baby will be British...as previously stated.

You can then apply to the Philippines govt. for what is known as 'Recognition' (meaning the child is also recognised as being a Filipino citizen, on account of you being born Filipina).

That is what I did after my son was born.

We have never actully applied for a Filipino passport for him (He has a UK one), but is permitted to stay for unlimited periods of time in the Phils without needing a visa.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Thanks Jake!! I thought so, he'll be British. But I think I'll let her/him decide if he/she wanted to be dual when he's/she's grown up..

I'm decided now, not to be dual yet, as we got no plans to live there yet..No point, especially renewing Phil passport every 5 years, good thing British one is 10 years

Thanks again. I can relax now thinking my immigration journey ends at last..Dual can wait, if I want to Wish we could win the lottery or better yet the Euro

Cheers again!!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    If born in the UK your baby will be British...as previously stated.

You can then apply to the Philippines govt. for what is known as 'Recognition' (meaning the child is also recognised as being a Filipino citizen, on account of you being born Filipina).

That is what I did after my son was born.

We have never actully applied for a Filipino passport for him (He has a UK one), but is permitted to stay for unlimited periods of time in the Phils without needing a visa.
    Thanks Graham! That's a good info that the baby can still be recognized as a Filipino even though I'm naturalized British now and will not be applying for dual yet. It'll be handy if he/she wanted to stay longer in the Philippines when the time comes..It'll be totally up to him/her..

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by RuBiX View Post
    Thanks Jake!! I thought so, he'll be British. But I think I'll let her/him decide if he/she wanted to be dual when he's/she's grown up..

I'm decided now, not to be dual yet, as we got no plans to live there yet..No point, especially renewing Phil passport every 5 years, good thing British one is 10 years

Thanks again. I can relax now thinking my immigration journey ends at last..Dual can wait, if I want to Wish we could win the lottery or better yet the Euro

Cheers again!!
    Hi RuBiX,

I think it might help if you could do some further research on the benefits of dual nationality.
    Technically it has nothing at all to do with passports.

In principle, after taking the oath for British Citizenship you already lost Philippine citizenship.
    In order to re-acquire the Philippine citizenship you would need to visit the Philippine Embassy to take the oath of allegience and receive your certificate of Philippine Citizenship.

The most important thing is that you would retain all legal benefits of being a Philippine citizen. Such as continued ownership of assets in the Philippines (land, property, bank accounts etc)

You certainly do not need to have a Philippine passport to prove citizenship. That is done by the certificate given by the Embassy. If you travel to Philippines with your spouse then BB privileges are still available when submitting marriage cert and Phils Naturalisation certificate.
    My wife still did not apply a Philippines passport although she is dual citizen.
    There are plenty of sound legal reasons to maintain your citizenship.

Thread Information