Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Jaguar moving some of its production to china

Heard this on the local news last night.. It just goes to show the governments have no control over where our manufacturing goes. Like I have said before if the Indians pull out thats 12,500 jobs gone from here.

Banned
    All the time new and not so new foreign owners transfer the jobs abroad - it's all very well people bitching about Heinz sauce being made in Holland and Cadburys chocolate in the former Eastern Bloc - best thing to do is boycott their products

If there was a good alternative made in this country Im sure we would Ded.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    If there was a good alternative made in this country Im sure we would Ded.
    I'm more than happy with Aldi ketchup made in the Fatherland but it pisses me off the way people are being hoodwinked into thinking some of this stuff is Brit produced

Thats the problem Ded like I have been saying all along there needs to be investment from the government into making things here. Never mind attracting foreign investors.

A move to China may not be the best thing to do. Quality is an unknown word here. But if it werent for these comapnies taking up the cheap cost of manufacture in China I would be out of a job too. I was out at a sub-supplier today and had a list of about 30 different items to inspect. Out of 30, I rejected 30. Not bad going really and the boss there took me out for a business lunch too

Joking aside, labour is cheap here in China, quality is poor but the cost of materials is also very cheap. It makes sence to move to the east, even with big rejection rates, it still works out cheaper.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Banned
    QAQC. Our lot are in that game. And its grown bigger since the Maconda Deepwater Horizon debacle in the Gulf of Mexico. Incidents like that can also drive things in the other direction. Quality and safety being paramount.

I wonder what that new Chinese built deepwater drilling rig is like?

You have hit the nail on the head cheapness. Our labour costs are too high due to the high cost of living here. The only way to get it down is reduce everything by 30% or more instead of giving £50m per day to europe. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    QAQC. Our lot are in that game. And its grown bigger since the Maconda Deepwater Horizon debacle in the Gulf of Mexico. Incidents like that can also drive things in the other direction. Quality and safety being paramount.

I wonder what that new Chinese built deepwater drilling rig is like?
    The main problem here with quality comes from VERY poor management, that and a lack of skilled workers or supervisors who really understand the western requirements.
    I can go to the workshops today and tell the supervisor that I am rejecting components due to the use of electric grinders for deburring holes on a machined face. (i have a translator with me all the time, and she is very good) then tomorrow, I will go to see the next batch to be 'deburred' and I find that they have again used the electric grinder ......... and so it goes on and on. But this is a state owned company where the management are all taking 'black' money and really dont care about the work because they are all driving around in their new Mercs'

Trusted Member
    For too long our education system has has been churning out semi-educated 'media studies' and arts graduates, while 'productive' subjects such as engineering and the sciences have been given the cold shoulder. Now the chickens are coming home to roost.

As a country (read 'government') we have been totally naive and short-sighted in the interests of short-term gain and national prestige in a world full of countries wishing to emulate our past successes.

We give away our secrets and our skills. We train up people from competitors and licence products to overseas manufacturers (once we've trained them up ).

We permit foreign investors to buy up our manufacturing base while ignoring or not taking seriously enough the training of the young or the proper utilisation of those with existing skills (ie the many thousands of older workers on the dole).

The UK is a nation of polite gentlemanly fools in a world of cunning sharks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    For too long our education system has has been churning out semi-educated 'media studies' and arts graduates, while 'productive' subjects such as engineering and the sciences have been given the cold shoulder. Now the chickens are coming home to roost.

As a country (read 'government') we have been totally naive and short-sighted in the interests of short-term gain and national prestige in a world full of countries wishing to emulate our past successes.

We give away our secrets and our skills. We train up people from competitors and licence products to overseas manufacturers (once we've trained them up ).

We permit foreign investors to buy up our manufacturing base while ignoring or not taking seriously enough the training of the young or the proper utilisation of those with existing skills (ie the many thousands of older workers on the dole).

Totally agree spot on.

I remember when British Leyland sold the engine design to the japs (Honda) they decided to make it from aluminium. Look at it now. All i can say is that in 1979 when I finished my apprentiship engineering was great in this country. I think the chinese are using our tools now by the look of it when I read steves posts.

ok, a prime example Andy. They drill a hole or machine a hole on a machined face on a component. Their first action to take the burr from the edge is to use a hand grinder (electric) The workers dont even think about it, dont hesitate, they fire it up and ruin the machined face. Either that or they get a drill to remove the burr and countersink the bloody hole so deep, so I reject all like this. When I was on the shop floor, we used a small hand tool for deburring, like a handle that had a metal shaft coming out of it with a rotating 'crook' end to it which you could whip around a hole to remove the burr, leaving a nice smooth finish. Easy. If the company here (chinese) bought say a thousand of these tools for next to nothing, they could save literally millions on repair, re-work or scrapped compponents.
    BUT..... who am I to tell them this?? If they start doing it right every time my work will end and then I will be looking for more work

Good point steve keep taking the money. So your a quality inspector? I bet they hate you..

Trusted Member
    Yep...may as well claw something back from China Steve.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    ok, a prime example Andy. They drill a hole or machine a hole on a machined face on a component. Their first action to take the burr from the edge is to use a hand grinder (electric) The workers dont even think about it, dont hesitate, they fire it up and ruin the machined face. Either that or they get a drill to remove the burr and countersink the bloody hole so deep, so I reject all like this. When I was on the shop floor, we used a small hand tool for deburring, like a handle that had a metal shaft coming out of it with a rotating 'crook' end to it which you could whip around a hole to remove the burr, leaving a nice smooth finish. Easy. If the company here (chinese) bought say a thousand of these tools for next to nothing, they could save literally millions on repair, re-work or scrapped compponents.
    BUT..... who am I to tell them this?? If they start doing it right every time my work will end and then I will be looking for more work
    Wonder what they do if the machined face is a sealing face?

Thread Information