Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Banned

Yet More Controversy at the Bridge

"League Cup - Chelsea investigating fan's 'monkey gesture'
    Chelsea are investigating an apparent 'monkey gesture' during Wednesday's Capital One Cup win over Manchester United.
    "

"An unidentified fan appeared to mimic a monkey during the game, with United striker Danny Welbeck in his line of sight.
    A statement read: "Chelsea Football Club can confirm we are investigating an incident involving a member of the crowd at last night’s game against Manchester United.
    "The club will be examining all available footage and asks anyone who can identify the individual to contact the club.
    "Chelsea FC is committed to removing all forms of discrimination and if we have sufficient evidence we will take the strongest possible action, including supporting criminal prosecution."
    A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police told Press Association Sport: "We are aware of the picture but we have not received a complaint."
    The fresh allegations of racist behaviour come just a day after Chelsea decided to make a formal complaint against referee Mark Clattenburg following a controversial 3-2 defeat to United at the weekend.
    "

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/l...101323228.html

Must confess I think it's getting a little OTT at the moment. There's racism and there's stupidity. If you're going to investigate every act of individual stupidity at a football match it wont be long before the grounds are empty.

Banned
    I agree. But on the other hand it just goes to show how deeply engrained it still is, even in the UK, in the year 2012.

I used to go and watch West Ham when I was a kid and I clearly remember one of the earliest black players called Clyde Best being greeted with monkey chants, back in the early 70's, some 40 years ago. It hasn't changed as much as some would like to think, which is a point some people are trying to make. Even people like Gary Lineker are saying it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    Must confess I think it's getting a little OTT at the moment. There's racism and there's stupidity. If you're going to investigate every act of individual stupidity at a football match it wont be long before the grounds are empty.
    Have to be careful with that one as some who have a dislike of football could turn that around a little to their advantage...if you see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    I agree. But on the other hand it just goes to show how deeply engrained it still is, even in the UK, in the year 2012.

I used to go and watch West Ham when I was a kid and I clearly remember one of the earliest black players called Clyde Best being greeted with monkey chants, back in the early 70's, some 40 years ago. It hasn't changed as much as some would like to think, which is a point some people are trying to make. Even people like Gary Lineker are saying it.
    It has changed alot Lastlid. I can remember seeing Bananas being hurled onto the pitch at a black goalkeeper by groups of people. My point is that in the UK most incidents are now isolated and usually carried out by one idiot. Lets not make more of it than whats actually there. I can remember exactly what your saying about the monkey chants and that is no longer happening apart from the occassional idiot.

Banned
    (Back to the Clyde Best thing. Even his own fans gave him that abuse which is ironic. I was there and I heard it.)

Yes. We have come a long way. My belief is the momentum needs to be continued, no taking the foot off the gas yet. You are probably right, for Chelsea probably an isolated incident. But he should still be prosecuted.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    (Back to the Clyde Best thing. Even his own fans gave him that abuse which is ironic. I was there and I heard it.)

Lastlid I remember England fans chanting 1 nil to England after a 2-0 victory against Brazil because they didn't recognise a goal by John Barnes. Now they just dream of someone scoring a goal like that for England. Although it must also be said that was probably the only high point in Barnes England career.
    Yes your right prosecute the guy but lets not start writing newspaper articles about 1 isolated incident.

Banned
    Vincent Kompany says racism is most serious in grassroots football

"Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany says racism in football is at its worst at grassroots level.
    The 26-year-old Belgian said the lack of regulation in grassroots football allowed racism to be tolerated.
    Speaking to BBC World Football, Kompany said: "Racism is felt the most definitely in grassroots football.
    "When I was a kid, it was very common to go places and get racially abused, starting from age six all the way up until you got into the first team."
    "That's where it's more regulated. Being in the first team, I suffered a lot less racism."
    But the Belgium international feels professionals can set positive examples, which he believes will filter down into junior levels of the game.
    "Ultimately whatever we decide or whatever we do will have an influence on grassroots football."
    Kompany joined Anderlecht at age 14 and progressed into the first team at the club, winning two Belgian Pro League titles.
    The centre-half, who joined City in 2008 and captained the club to the Premier League title last season, believes England has "evolved" the furthest in dealing with racial issues.
    "When something happens, it shocks the whole country and the whole country has an opinion and that's already a sign that it's not something that is accepted, and that's a great thing," he continued.
    "The fact that people talk about already gives me a sense that this country is a lot more evolved than some other countries.
    "But you can always improve and as long as we still aim to improve and eradicate it then we'll be doing the right thing."
    "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20168411

Banned
    Chelsea Fan Arrested

"A man has been arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated offence following Chelsea's League Cup win over Manchester United.

Pictures taken during Wednesday's fourth-round tie at Stamford Bridge appeared to show a fan making a "monkey" gesture.

Gavin Kirkham, 28, was bailed after being questioned at a west London police station on Monday.

United striker Danny Welbeck appeared to be the target of the alleged abuse.

The Metropolitan Police said Mr Kirkham was arrested after attending the police station by appointment.

He was released on bail until later in November.
    "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20212989

Thread Information