Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Luddendenfoot, near Todmorden and Slaithwaite

Something you won't forget

Bayanihan is a Filipino term which means spirit of communal unity or effort to achieve a specific objective. (Wikipedia). I lived in a small village where this spirit is still thriving. Which particular aspect of the Filipino culture (festive celebrations, dealing with wife's relatives etc.) remained in your memory to these days?

UKBA,UKBA I am dreading to hear from you...
    UKBA, a BRP for Christmas will do...

Thats great but you wont get that here now. At one time many years ago we had spirit like that. Now its everyman for his self.

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Thats great but you wont get that here now. At one time many years ago we had spirit like that. Now its everyman for his self.
    I wasn't expecting to experience that spirit here.

i would always offer a hand to anyone who ask

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    I dont believe that, sure things have change since 50yrs, but so has the world, most people I believe would still help others out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-17482258

many people i work with each year have gone on a 60 mile bike ride from Manchester to Blackpool for charity.
    http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=311

look how many people turned out each day to look for April Jones the 5yr old missing girl, not just the whole community went looking so did people from 100s of miles away..
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    I dont believe that, sure things have change since 50yrs, but so has the world, most people I believe would still help others out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-17482258

many people i work with each year have gone on a 60 mile bike ride from Manchester to Blackpool for charity.
    http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=311

look how many people turned out each day to look for April Jones the 5yr old missing girl, not just the whole community went looking so did people from 100s of miles away..
    Hehe
    Sorry guys, I might have misled you with my thread. I was asking about an aspect of Filipino culture(as far as having a Filipino wife is concerned) that you have experienced and you can not forget. Whether you were culture shocked/amazed/afraid.

Banned
    I was in Salford Quays that day. Missed the Queen's opening speech by a whisker, outside Media City and saw the runners further along the circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by jlags90 View Post
    Hehe
    Sorry guys, I might have misled you with my thread. I was asking about an aspect of Filipino culture(as far as having a Filipino wife is concerned) that you have experienced and you can not forget. Whether you were culture shocked/amazed/afraid.
    yep the family buying a goat and then showing it to me then to kill it cook it and then eat it, I HATE GOAT

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jlags90 View Post
    Hehe
    Yes, the sheer size of the family. Millions of relatives. Amazing.

Ah, yes.

Tampo

In Philippine culture Tampo refers to a range of behaviors in which a person withdraws his or her affection or cheerfulness from a person who has hurt his or her feelings.(From Wikipedia)

We Brits often describe it as sulking, but actually that's not quite correct.
    It's a deeply cultural behaviour that in the Philippines is viewed differently.

As in many Asian cultures it's quite normal to adopt various forms of non-confrontational behaviours.
    Saving 'face' and Tampo is such a cultural behavior and does provide a socially acceptable way of expressing hurt feelings without actually resorting directly to either emotional or physical acts of hostility or resentment.

I learned years ago that once Tampo has taken effect there's not much that can be done.
    On the positive side though, at least Tampo does have a cultural built in 'end-game'. Means it will end as suddenly and mysteriously as it began.

You'll soon learn strategies that help to reduce 'Tampo-time' by doing whatever you can to show some form of remorse. Be careful though, don't react too soon and don't leave it too long. Choose a good balance for timing.

Don't fall into the trap of treating 'Tampo time' as a good reason to nip down the pub for a swift pint. No no, she wants to see that you feel and show the pain of what ever it was that you did. (however inadvertently)
    Also, don't try your own Tampo. That's going to be a real slap in her face and may only lead to who-knows-what escalations.

On the OP's question of what 'remained in your memory to these days?' I would say that Tampo when combined with the menstrual cycle may arguably be the most explosive combination known to man, and certainly one to be avoided at all costs. That's definitely Something you won't forget

There are myriad of Filipina cultural anomolies to be shared and learnt.
    I for one can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post

Ah, yes.

Tampo

In Philippine culture Tampo refers to a range of behaviors in which a person withdraws his or her affection or cheerfulness from a person who has hurt his or her feelings.(From Wikipedia)

We Brits often describe it as sulking, but actually that's not quite correct.
    It's a deeply cultural behaviour that in the Philippines is viewed differently.

As in many Asian cultures it's quite normal to adopt various forms of non-confrontational behaviours.
    Saving 'face' and Tampo is such a cultural behavior and does provide a socially acceptable way of expressing hurt feelings without actually resorting directly to either emotional or physical acts of hostility or resentment.

I learned years ago that once Tampo has taken effect there's not much that can be done.
    On the positive side though, at least Tampo does have a cultural built in 'end-game'. Means it will end as suddenly and mysteriously as it began.

You'll soon learn strategies that help to reduce 'Tampo-time' by doing whatever you can to show some form of remorse. Be careful though, don't react too soon and don't leave it too long. Choose a good balance for timing.

Don't fall into the trap of treating 'Tampo time' as a good reason to nip down the pub for a swift pint. No no, she wants to see that you feel and show the pain of what ever it was that you did. (however inadvertently)
    Also, don't try your own Tampo. That's going to be a real slap in her face and may only lead to who-knows-what escalations.

On the OP's question of what 'remained in your memory to these days?' I would say that Tampo when combined with the menstrual cycle may arguably be the most explosive combination known to man, and certainly one to be avoided at all costs. That's definitely Something you won't forget

There are myriad of Filipina cultural anomolies to be shared and learnt.
    I for one can't wait.
    Well said Sir Terpe. My husband ought to read this. He can't stand my miserable face when I am having my Tampo moments... Haha!

Not sure it's culture, or just the way the family rolls, but I was amazed by the consumption of the local brandy and gin (The gin especially I suspect can also be used to power motorbikes)

Then also the size of family, so many aunties, uncles etc. Everyone in the village seemed to be related somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Iani View Post
    Not sure it's culture, or just the way the family rolls, but I was amazed by the consumption of the local brandy and gin (The gin especially I suspect can also be used to power motorbikes)

Then also the size of family, so many aunties, uncles etc. Everyone in the village seemed to be related somehow.
    Did the drinkers used the same glass from one mouth to the other? That's brotherhood! Haha!

Ohh yes

Sure helped the karaoke go well though

Thread Information