Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Register a birth help

Hello Guys
    Please Help

I am British and lived in the Philippines for 2 years in 04/06 and during that time my eldest son came to visit and got a neighbour pregnant and came home before the birth.

OK for 2 years I have been trying to get my grandson a UK birth certificate and feel I am almost there, but need to know what steps I take now.

I am in receipt of the following documents from over a period of time which was a headache believe me

1 x Affidavit of paternity from Philippines embassy sworn and signed by my son and to use his surname on the birth certificate

1 x local Pangasinan birth certificate (In Fathers Surname)

2 x NSO Certificates from Manila

1 x Civil Registry Office (Manila) Certification of Paternity

1 x Authentication document (Dept of Foreign Affairs) Manila

1 x Affidavit of late registration

See, told you it was a headache. Can I register him with a UK birth cert in the UK with these documents or do I have to send his mother to a consulate ?

Passport I can obtain once he has his birth cert.
    I value anyones help.
    Thank you guys

Graham,
    I stand to be corrected here, but as I understand the 'rules' there's no possibilitity to secure a UK birth certificate.

The best that can be done is to register the birth with the British Embassy in Manila or the FCO (Foreign & Commonwealth Office) in London. There's no legal requirement to do this at all, but it does allow you to have details of the birth held at the General Register Office in the UK.
    This is called a Consular Birth Registration

That document is not a UK birth certificate and should not be used as one. It does not take the place of the locally issued birth certificate, which is the formal and legal certificate of birth.

Please also be aware that any registration made with the British Embassy or with the FCO here in UK does not confer British Citizenship.
    There is no requirement to register the birth in order to secure a British passport.

To proceed with the consular registration for the case and circumstance you describe, you will need the following documentary evidence:-

Child’s Philippine birth certificate
    Photocopy of the either the mothers passport or mothers birth certificate.
    Father's full British birth certificate
    Father's current British passport (or certified copy)
    Paternity Declaration

If any additional information is needed the Consular dept will inform you
    The registration cost is currently around £105.00

Hope this is helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    Please also be aware that any registration made with the British Embassy or with the FCO here in UK does not confer British Citizenship.
    There is no requirement to register the birth in order to secure a British passport.
    The information on the embassy website says:-

The advantages of a Consular birth registration are:

• A British style birth certificate is available as evidence of British nationality
    • A record of the birth will afterwards be held in the General Registry Office in the United Kingdom

Therefore I would say that the registation does confer British Citizenship?

As you have stated, it also says that registration is not needed as the original birth certificate issued by the authorities in the country in which the birth took place, along with a notarised translation if necessary, is sufficient for all purposes in the UK (including passport applications)

http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk...h-registration

Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post
    The information on the embassy website says:-

The advantages of a Consular birth registration are:

• A British style birth certificate is available as evidence of British nationality
    • A record of the birth will afterwards be held in the General Registry Office in the United Kingdom

Therefore I would say that the registation does confer British Citizenship?

As you have stated, it also says that registration is not needed as he original birth certificate issued by the authorities in the country in which the birth took place, along with a notarised translation if necessary, is sufficient for all purposes in the UK (including passport applications)

http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk...h-registration
    Rusty,
    The link you provided actually states:-

Consular birth registrations do not confer British nationality and are not required to register your child as a British citizen or to apply for a British passport as British nationality is passed from parent to child. Your child will need to have an automatic claim to British nationality in order to register their birth. Please refer to the Home Office for more information on British nationality.
    (Just to note that I highlighted in bold. The original text is not highlighted)

So rusty why do you disagree with FCO advice?

There does seem to be a contradiction.

It does say that Consular birth registrations do not confer British nationality

but it also says The advantages of a Consular birth registration are a British style birth certificate is available as evidence of British nationality.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    So rusty why do you disagree with FCO advice?
    Four years ago we registered our son and he has a British style birth certificate and this was used to obtain a British passport for him.

If the registration does not confer British nationality how do you prove that the child is British? Passport only?

When my son was born we asked if we needed to register him in the Uk or if he needed a Uk style birth certificate. We were told there is no need and the Phils official cert was enough. We were told 'save your money' you do not need it.

He is still not registered inthe Uk, BUT he does hold a UK British passport. No need for anything else.
    If you want your dreams to come true ...... first you have to wake up

Respected Member
    We registered Josh's birth and received the certificate from the Embassy. It gives me a sense of security knowing how many documents disappear in the Philippines government system.

passport showing he was in phils at time of conception, also as they are not married the embassy might ask for a DNA test to be done..
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Thank you
    Very helpful indeed, I have been told so many things and one was that he did need a UK birth cert before a passport can be issued.
    Passport instead of a birth cert would be perfect
    I was epecting the cost to be more than a regular one but worth it if I can do it.
    Consulate (Douglas Patterson) used to be a great help in Angeles when I was there, but think he has moved onto business and trade.
    But a great help now I am in receipt of the above mentioned documents
    Thank you Graham

Hi Steve, That is interesting and would be nice to bypass the birth certificate.
    Was you married at the time ?
    My son isn't so I am not sure if that will make a difference or not.
    I am receiving some very positive replies and lightening my shoulders already
    Thank you
    Graham

Thanks Rick, Yes especially documents on the NSO system or using an unscrupulous agent

Hey Joe ! Sorry couldn't resist it.

Philippines embassy in London had my son sware a paternity affidavit, this was enough to add his name on the local and NSO birth cert, was also told a DNA would not be needed, also have photos of them together in 04/05 and old passport. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Graham2263 View Post
    Hey Joe ! Sorry couldn't resist it.

Philippines embassy in London had my son sware a paternity affidavit, this was enough to add his name on the local and NSO birth cert, was also told a DNA would not be needed, also have photos of them together in 04/05 and old passport. Thanks
    who told you that the Philippine embassy ? not the British embassy who will issue any passport or visa, I'm not saying they will but its a possibility if they are not convinced he is the father..
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by Graham2263 View Post
    Hi Steve, That is interesting and would be nice to bypass the birth certificate.
    Was you married at the time ?
    My son isn't so I am not sure if that will make a difference or not.
    I am receiving some very positive replies and lightening my shoulders already
    Thank you
    Graham
    Yes I was married at the time when my sone was born so of course the applicatiuon for the passort went smoothly. But You have all you need, if your sone has a stamp of his passport for the time of conception. There is a section in the passport application for unmarried parents, and this can be followed to get the passport. Again, the regestration of birth/uk certificate is not needed. The NSO (even though they seen to be a mess) are quite good as long as you have everything in order, but if you don't, I am sure a little persuasion can help if you know what I mean

lol yes it is confusing, also made worse as parents were not married, so we're not sure if passport only application would be considered without a birth cert.
    He has a local and NSO birth cert, and Philippine embassy London sworn paternity document and consent to use the surname of father.
    Philippine embassy also told me he didn't need a UK birth cert to apply for passport, but then FCO said on the phone he did ?
    Who knows. Thanks for everything guys

Thank you Steve, I know what you mean
    I had this wonderful lady living close to my grandson (works in the municipal hall) do all the running around collecting all those document over a period of time and going to Manila twice, real help to us because the mother isn't the brightest star. But I think your right not needing the certificate and just going for the passport and will pass this on tomorrow and get the ball rolling. Thank you Steve

No probs Graham, I hope it all works out.

Thread Information