Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Thumbs down George Osborne Shares For Your Working Conditions

Apart from company owners and directors i cant see many people going for this

Why are they so hellbent on reducing workers basic rights

For me its clear to see that the Tories just represent the company owners and have little time for the workers on the shop floor

Whats the point in having shares in a company that does not even respect its workers basic rights

Hardly a vote winner Mr Osborne

Totally agree. They will never be for the working class and never will be. The sooner people realise it the better.. I listened to that Boris Johnson speech as well. God knows what planet he is on. Good stand up comedian though.

Banned
    I had quite a few shares in my previous employer's business. Not enough to make any difference to the company what I did with them but I had about about £10,000 worth. Huge global company. I wouldnt say that they motivated me in any way, workwise. They just sat their in the background to the point that I pretty much forgot about them on a day to day basis. I had full employee rights. Neither stopped them from laying me off after 30 years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post

Whats the point in having shares in a company that does not even respect its workers basic rights
    I know that we don't always have a choice, but whats the point in working for a company that doesn't even respect that it's workers ought to have basic rights?

I think a lot of people did well out of having shares but overall they are the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    I think a lot of people did well out of having shares but overall they are the minority.
    Short term gains years ago for people who bought into Thatchers share owning property owning democracy.
    Your paying the price now though. Gas, Electricity, Water and all the other ones previously owned by the country now charging you way over the top to keep their new corporate share holders happy.

a long time ago in a far away place called living with the ex, we had shares in tescos she worked there and got them at a discount rate and each year we put all our saving into them and we did very well for the first 5 years then after that she did very well the fat cow, my daughter has just started work with STWA and is being offered shares at a reduced rate, she does not earn much and canot afford to put the max in, but dad can and will once she comes home with all the paperwork

Tbh ... I know bugger all about dabbling in stocks & shares. So long as my wife & I can live comfortably on my Work and State Pensions - and we do - then we're BOTH content.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    I had quite a few shares in my previous employer's business. Not enough to make any difference to the company what I did with them but I had about about £10,000 worth. Huge global company. I wouldnt say that they motivated me in any way, workwise. They just sat their in the background to the point that I pretty much forgot about them on a day to day basis. I had full employee rights. Neither stopped them from laying me off after 30 years.
    Nothing wrong with anyone having some shares

My problem is when these companies bribe/buy your basic rights as a normal worker for a few free shares

They want to turn the clock back to when most workers had no rights at all

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarco View Post
    Short term gains years ago for people who bought into Thatchers share owning property owning democracy.
    Your paying the price now though. Gas, Electricity, Water and all the other ones previously owned by the country now charging you way over the top to keep their new corporate share holders happy.
    They sold it to us as privatisation was the way forward

Thats why we are all paying through the nose for gas and electric these days

Water bills go up more than inflation (greedy private companies)

Private companies like Virgin buy a rail franchise and then put the fares up

Can the Tory lot still claim privatisation was such a great idea now

For the record i am no great Labour supporter either and they seem just a clueless

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    Totally agree. They will never be for the working class and never will be. The sooner people realise it the better.. I listened to that Boris Johnson speech as well. God knows what planet he is on. Good stand up comedian though.
    Johnson has been playing the "bumbling buffoon" for a long time now
    He plays the act well and it will probably get him into Cameron's shoes at some stage

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by London_Manila View Post
    Nothing wrong with anyone having some shares

My problem is when these companies bribe/buy your basic rights as a normal worker for a few free shares

They want to turn the clock back to when most workers had no rights at all
    Agreed. If i had a choice I wouldn't work for company that didn't respect an acceptable level of employee rights, unless they paid me a lot more money.

Thread Information