Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Banned

BRITAIN'S SECRET HEALTH TOURISTS: PANORAMA (wednesday)

BBC 9pm Wednesday

ABOUT THIS PROGRAMME

"Declan Lawn reports on foreign nationals obtaining free NHS treatment they should be paying for - at a cost of millions to the health service. He investigates a black market where NHS access is being bought and sold and finds a practice manager taking money to register patients . Declan also discovers many hospitals across the country not making the required checks on people's eligibility for treatment."

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/sg...rists-panorama

Banned
    Anybody see it? I have been out all evening.

Banned
    I knew there was something I wanted to watch thanks for this I'll watch tomorrow on the iPlayer

only in this country
    free operations for all
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Respected Member
    When we used the NHS a few years back, Marvie received a bill which stated if we didn't pay they'd inform the UKBA and it would affect visas etc. We of course did pay.

I personally haven't used the NHS in years, the last time I saw an NHS GP, he told me to go private.

The idea of mass immigration providing opportunities to poverty stricken foreigners is all well and good in Principle, but Labour failed to realise that the public services wouldn't be able to handle it. Now the Tories are having to do the nasty job of cutting back those services, although I question whether that's the best way to resolve the enonomic situation..

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post

I'll watch tomorrow on the iPlayer
    ... we await your verdict with bated breath ...

I did watch most of that programme.
    As predicted it really wound me up.

I must be getting old and grumpy

The person who said money doesn't buy happiness obviously couldn't afford a 'fixer' or a good lawyer

Trusted Member
    The “ Panorama “ episode on “ Britain’s Secret Health Tourists “ revealed flaws, both in the programme itself ( it applied to England and Wales only, and the Health Minister excused lack of knowledge by claiming an ongoing government review ).

• All that was revealed in the episode was that health tourists from overseas cost the NHS, the true scale of the problem is unknown, and there are a number of corrupt practice managers and fixers / middle-men who can - at a price - arrange GP access, which in turn allows free hospital access to treatment.

• New Department of Health guidance was quoted which states that overseas visitors, whether lawfully in the UK or not, are eligible to register with a GP practice, even if they fail to provide identification or proof of address. Once registered – whether or not arranged by “ fixers “, and obviously depending on acceptance by the practice, many hospital trusts do not check such patients’ credentials when referred for treatment which is free at the point of access. Payment may never be recovered even from those that are recognised as foreign nationals.

• The Health Minister herself claims she would be offended if every time she went to hospital she was asked to prove her entitlement to free NHS treatment. She probably won’t be in post anyway, if / when the “ ongoing review “ is published.

• Everyone in the UK – regardless of immigration or residency status – is entitled to free care in Accident and Emergency, treatment for sexually-transmitted infections, and conditions such as TB and malaria. NHS staff will treat anyone whose condition is deemed life-threatening or urgent, including women giving birth. “ Walk In Clinics “ are also free to all.

• The European Health Insurance Card ( EHIC ) - valid in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries, including Switzerland – may also, we were told, be obtained fraudulently.
    • EHIC allows you to get state healthcare at a reduced cost or sometimes for free. It will cover you for treatment that is needed to allow you to continue your stay until your planned return. It also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and for routine maternity care. The problem with this system is that our NHS pays out relatively more to such countries than we receive from them – even for genuine card – holders.

• Similarly, if you choose to live in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland on a permanent basis, you MAY be entitled to to healthcare paid by the UK, for example if you're receiving a UK state pension or long-term incapacity benefit. Panorama indicated that - once again – our NHS pays out more than it receives for treating EEA nationals in the UK.

• Not covered in Panorama was the general topic of medical / health tourism – obtaining and paying for elective health care abroad – whether for minor or major procedures. Many British “ tourists “ now travel abroad, including the Philippines, for such purposes. Here are precautions before embarking on such treatment :-)
    • Do your research into the clinic / hospital, including language used / communication / costs.
    • Have a full consultation with the doctor or dentist.
    • Consider aftercare such as corrective treatment.
    • Consider travel risks such as air travel after surgery.
    • Many insurers won't cover planned treatment abroad.

• Of course the UK has reciprocal healthcare agreements with a few non-EEA countries, but not the Philippines. Travel insurance is vital for short visits, and local health insurance ( such as “ Phil Health “ ) desirable for living there permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ... we await Ded's verdict with bated breath ...
    ... still waiting ...

Banned
    I still haven't been able to watch it yet.....

... still waiting ...
    ... on the responses from Ded for what they're worth.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    ... ah well ... there's an excuse for you with all the happy nappy-changing! :

... on the responses from Ded for what they're worth.
    ... guess he's too preoccupied celebrating the extradition ('hook?', & sinker >v v<) of the "germs" ... which MOST DEFINITELY merits a HUGE round of applause!

whats this phil health you mentioned Alan

Trusted Member
    whats this phil health you mentioned Alan
    In the Philippines, 85% of the population are now claimed to be members of PhilHealth, the government-owned health insurer, compared to less than 2/3 in 2010.
    http://www.philhealth.gov.ph/
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....age#post390850

Respected Member Michael Parnham's Avatar
    We still pay our Philhealth, cos we never know if we will need it when we visit Philippines. Only a few hundred pesos per year.

so is this something that i could be part of when moving to the phils, or is it more for Emma, is it ine of these things where you have to contribute back pay and then carry on payments

Yes Steve..It Is..Your wife has to apply and she can add your name...Costs about 1500 PHP a year and can discount as much as 50% from your final bill..

thanks Fred, right Fred you have been living over there for a while now, what is your biggest worry, is it your health and if you feel ill what would happen to you, or is there safety,security, politics and so on, whats keeping me in england at this time is work, i cant do anything for the future if i dont work here, and what i read about and listern too about over there , well if you have the funds and dont intend to live in little england once there and dont get drunk life aint that bad, whats your thoughts,

Steve... I have no biggest worries here. I worry about nothing. I used to do that sort of thing whilst in the UK endlessly!!Its why I moved,.
    I dont worry about my health as I have never been in such good health which I put down to lack of stress since living here.
    I get drunk when ever I feel like it.
    Regards,
    Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by lastlid View Post
    I watched it lastlid and it doesnt surprise me especially in sparkbrook. I probably treat illegals without knowing it. There is no way of finding out.

Quote Originally Posted by andy222 View Post
    I watched it lastlid and it doesnt surprise me especially in sparkbrook. I probably treat illegals without knowing it. There is no way of finding out.
    could you not ask them Andy

Most of them dont speak english steve.

Thread Information