Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Irish long stay visa

I'm spending Christmas with my wife in the Philippines, will stay there until February then we are travelling together to Ireland (Using the EEA route) , I would like to know how much do you think would be enough to show as sufficient funds to support ourselves on the long stay visa? at this moment in time we have around 4000 euros each for her application, do you think that this is suitable enough for her app?

Robert,

This is actually the same as what we had about €8000 and there were no queries. In saying that though I had also included a letter of sponsorship from my mum as we will be living with her.
    I have been told before that there are no real financial requirements set out for the EEA Family Permit and therefore should not be a grounds for refusal on its own. As long as you can show that you are saving some money every every month i.e. you have disposable income then you should be fine.
    It had also been said to me that the permit is relatively easy to get. Of course as you would I still had my worries/doubts but all was fine in fact upon receiving my application they approved it in under 24 hours and we had it in our possession 2 days later.
    You may like to take a read through my thread (EEA Family Permit) on here as our situation is similar.

When are you flying to the Philippines?

Alan

not much the embassy can refuse a family permit for, if they can it will probably be because they believe it to be a marriage of convenience.
    http://www.filipinouk.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=870&dateline=1270312908

Quote Originally Posted by Robert86 View Post
    I'm spending Christmas with my wife in the Philippines, will stay there until February then we are travelling together to Ireland (Using the EEA route) , I would like to know how much do you think would be enough to show as sufficient funds to support ourselves on the long stay visa? at this moment in time we have around 4000 euros each for her application, do you think that this is suitable enough for her app?
    Robert, as others have said, there's not much that can be used as reason for refusal, provided you comply with the basics of EEA route.
    No reason to prove savings etc. Just need to prove exercised treaty rights.
    If you can do this you're OK.
    can you do this?

I'm still puzzled why your original application failed.

Respected Member
    Hi guys and thanks for the replies I really appreciate it! Alan I will be flying out to Manila on the 4th December from Dublin and will be staying in the Philippines until the 4th February! We then plan to travel to Ireland together.. Alan what documents did you and your spouse submit in support of your application?? @terpe, our application was refused due to amendments on regulation 2 (McCarthy) not living or working in another EU state.. I've never lived nor worked in Ireland so I hope everything this time will be ok.. It's been a nightmare for us, I'm giving up my job here to go to the phil so that both of us can relocate together in Ireland so it really is throwing all eggs into the basket.. So you guys reckon that we should be granted the family permit ?? I really hope so..

Respected Member
    Terpe as my previous application for UK family permit was refused as I have both British citizenship and Irish, would my Irish family permit also be refused on the same grounds, even though i have never used the irish passport, never lived there nor worked there

Terpe as my previous application for UK family permit was refused as I have both British citizenship and Irish, would my Irish family permit also be refused on the same grounds, even though i have never used the irish passport, never lived there nor worked there
    Robert, that's why I asked if you can comply with EEA directives.
    You need to be a UK citizen exercising treaty rights in Ireland.
    You will face some challenges if you're unable to provide evidence that you have established yourself in another EU country (Ireland)

Respected Member
    was a stupid move going for an irish passport, now ive shot myself in the other foot.. no ive never lived in another EU country.. Our friend lives in Switzerland, she works in the UN, its a possibility we could go there .. if its not one thing its another, terrible time..

Respected Member
    do you think they would know i had a dual nationality, if i only submitted my british passport would they know about the irish passport

was a stupid move going for an irish passport, now ive shot myself in the other foot.. no ive never lived in another EU country.. Our friend lives in Switzerland, she works in the UN, its a possibility we could go there .. if its not one thing its another, terrible time..
    Hi Robert
    You seem a bit confused at the moment as to what you are actually going to do to bring your wife. I think you need to sit down and plan it properly and then stick to it.
    Your talking about going to Ireland or maybe Switzerland and surely you need to prove that you have settled in either these places and have an address and some income to support your wife in order to exercise your treaty rights.
    I like you have dual nationality as I was contemplating submitting an EEA request from the UK, but the change in the law prevented this.
    I wish you well whichever route you choose.

Robert, I've given some personal thoughts and comments on your previous posting. My comments apply here.

Hope you will find this helpful as I think you may be missing some very important factors.

Here's what I posted earlier :-

Hi Robert, I was sorry to hear about that UK Family Permit outcome.

I wouldn't want to predict what the result might be with any application for the Irish equivalent of the Family Permit.

Under the umbrella of the 'Common Travel Area' the UKBA and INIS (Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service) do actually share information with each other to minimise possible circumvention of immigration policies

For me the first issue has to about how you how are you going to demonstrate that for the purposes of immigration you are actually exercising your treaty rights?
    The second issue is the fact that your UK Family permit was only just applied for and refused. I personally feel that the time period between that and a new application is just too short and will raise red flags.
    These issue may cause the Irish authorities to feel that from the outset you have a real intention to find a way to settle in the UK 'outside' of UK rules.

I think your best strategy is to actually become established in Ireland as a UK citizen.
    Find accommodation and find a job.

Then after a few months have your wife apply for the Irish Family Permit to join you.Or you could go over to Philippines and bring her with you.

Here's some links that might help you:-

The Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service (INIS)

Here's some information about Family Members visa application and immigration procedures relating to Ireland

Hope this helps with your thinking.

Sorry it may not come across as positively as you'd hoped for.

Thread Information