Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

What is next after ILR?

Hi guys just wondering what is next after Indefinite Leave to Remain? And next? When will it end lol x too much papers too much process too much money,,,,,,,,,,,End? Thanks

waiting for a reply now

anybodyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    A place for everything, everything in its place.

Trusted Member
    Regrets ?

You could have gone to good country.

If you wanted to, you do not have to do anything else. You can stay in the UK as you now have permanant residence.

If you choose to do so, the next step would be British Citizenship. This would then entitle you to obtain a British passport and do others things, such as voting in an election.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamw48 View Post
    Regrets ?

You could have gone to good country.
    nah regrets not at all i supposed there is no bad or good country really

Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post
    If you wanted to, you do not have to do anything else. You can stay in the UK as you now have permanant residence.

If you choose to do so, the next step would be British Citizenship. This would then entitle you to obtain a British passport and do others things, such as voting in an election.
    even if i were in the PH I dont vote british passport hmm sounds poshhh i might go for it..just to say i got

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post

Yes, that's what the ex and my stepchildren did, and all have British passports now, making travel a lot easier too.

we will go for the next package after the ILR, just for Ems passport, even though we have plans to leave this country, having a brittish passport will make it easy to come back and to travel other places

Quote Originally Posted by stevewool View Post
    we will go for the next package after the ILR, just for Ems passport, even though we have plans to leave this country, having a brittish passport will make it easy to come back and to travel other places

Yep, after ILR British Citizenship.. then
    British passport... then
    Re-acquire Philippine Citizenship and passport

Then at last the journey is over

Of course you could take the option of just staying with ILR, but if you leave UK for 2 years or more then back to square one. Your visa is done for.
    This becomes important for those folks who want to emigrate, say to the Philippines, then after a couple of years need to return to UK, say for medical reasons. The person without UK citizenship cannot return.

So the longer journey is worth consideration, oftentimes

Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    British passport... then

Of course you could take the option of just staying with ILR, but if you leave UK for 2 years or more then back to square one. Your visa is done for.
    This becomes important for those folks who want to emigrate, say to the Philippines, then after a couple of years need to return to UK, say for medical reasons. The person without UK citizenship cannot return.

very true and well said Terpe..in other word use the brain rather than the heart

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpe View Post
    British passport... then

Quite right Peter.

In fact one time when me and the family lived in the Phils for 3 years, the missus returned to the UK just before the 2 year limit was reached and I stayed on, looking after house, business and kids.
    She returned to her well-paid job here and used to send money to us each month to help out.

Now when this came out (Filipina sending me money) in conversation with other expats at the bar, the looks on their faces were a picture.

thanks everyone I'm glad that will end sooner than I thought how much to have a British passport? Re-acquire Philippine Citizenship and passport is that cost anything also? I heard that if I want to have dual passport I have to attend the OATH CEREMONY IN LONDON? is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by belle29 View Post
    thanks everyone I'm glad that will end sooner than I thought how much to have a British passport? Re-acquire Philippine Citizenship and passport is that cost anything also? I heard that if I want to have dual passport I have to attend the OATH CEREMONY IN LONDON? is that right?
    Currently the British passport is £72.50

belle, you need to understand that once you take the oath of allegiance in your British Citizen ceremony, you automatically lose your Philippine citizenship.

The Philippines allows you to hold dual citizenship, but you must firstly re-acquire your Philippine Citizenship by oath taking ceremony at the Philippine Embassy or one of the consulates. The cost is not so much really.

Your existing Philippine passport will be cancelled, and you'll be asked to apply for a new one.

Thank you Terpe for the information appreciate it a lot x

Thread Information